Tama Superstar SL Custom Hyperdrive 4pc

I'm sure everyone's seen plenty of these but I just picked up this kit second hand (less than a year old) on the weekend. Paid $670 CAD ($520 USD) for the 4pc shell pack to a U.S. seller, a fine gentleman out of the Detroit area.

Sizes are: 24x18, 12x7, 16x14, 14x6.5 in desert burst finish

Quick review: I'm still waiting on drumheads so I've yet to get my desired sound out of the kit just yet but they sound really cool so far. I'm going to de-muffle the kick drum but that size with no muffling prior was too intense for my small room. The drums sing beautifully but give more of a short defined punch. I think they'll sound really great when I dial them in.

The hardware is really impressive. All lugs and bass drum claws are fully cushioned with rubber, I''m a big fan of the star-cast mounting system and hoops. As for the tube-lug style, it's starting to grow on me. One thing I really liked was that the tube section of the lug is actually raised off the shell by a couple millimeters so the only contact made with the shells is the same as on a non-tube lug kit. I think the black nickel colouring of all the hardware makes the kit look really sharp to me, with somewhat of an unusual burst finish that has lots of character.

This is for sure the nicest kit I've owned having played for roughly 6 years off and on. I'm doing small gigs a few times a month and since christmas I traded a 20yr pearl pro dx 5pc shell pack and 100 bucks for a PDP cx series maple 5 pc that I'll be using for shows now. The superstars will definitely stay in my house as much as possible, but for better gigs down the road I'll be excited to take them out. Anyway, here's the pics, my cymbals are subject to change but here I have 14" vintage sabian flat hats, 16" a custom crash, 18" avedis thin crash, 20" aax dry ride, and I'm planning on putting some clear evans heads, most likely ec2's on.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 5,596
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 4,402
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 4,501
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 4,639
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 4,713
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 4,725
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 4,798
Gorgous finish. and is ur bass drum stuffed full of blankets?

That is perhaps my favorite finish in the Superstar line. You'll be pleased with the sound once they get good skins. Congrats.

Gorgous finish. and is ur bass drum stuffed full of blankets?

Thanks everyone, I had some reservations about the finish and tube lugs- at first I thought they looked incredible, then I thought they looked a bit too strange, but I'm settled and I love them.

My kick drum has one pillow in it, though I have it positioned against both heads, instead of laying parallel with the shell. I definitely need to fiddle around with the muffling but I don't mind the stock Tama reso head at all, I'll keep the PS3 batter head on there too I just need to go to a smaller pillow or play with the positioning.

Hopefully I'll have some sound files or videos up in the next few weeks, and I'm trying to get new heads today.

Question: Has anyone experienced a very different kick drum feel when going to a larger drum like this? I find there to be lots of rebound and my doubles are all of a sudden a lot more difficult. Both heads are fairly loose, reso is just above wrinkles and the batter is a bit tighter than that but still quite loose. Should I/how do I loosen my chain tension on my DQ 7000? The elongated bolt-type thing below the spring does not seem to want to turn either clockwise or counter...

AND, I asked this in another thread but got nothing- Is it not a good idea to take new-ish, slightly used heads off, say, my pacific cx kit and put them on this kit? Are the bearing edges different and will that effect seating? Thanks, I want to try my evans genera snare head on the tama snare. No matter how much I hear about remo's I just can't tune them for the life of. Unfortunate but I'll stick with what works for me until I master the art of tuning.

Nice one! the finish is great plus I like your skin choice.

Lol thanks but I can't stand them. I'm sure it has partly to do with my tuning abilities, I can get some pretty great sounds with evans heads but have never had a lot of success with remo. I'll try and post some sound files to show how crappy I am with remo and how decent I am with evans lol thanks again, cheers
-AV

*updated, I went with some ec2's and clear g1 for resonant side, the drums sound awesome. I may go with clear g2's next time around, and I'm hoping to record something this week so I'll get an idea of how the sound

Last edited:
Updated pics - added EC2's over G1's, coated G1 on snare with hazy 300 reso, also found room for my 17" K Custom Dark China on the right

Modest beginnings of a snare 'collection' added - I picked up a really beat up Joey Jordison signature for $80 bucks at a show the other week, also have my old pacific maple snare, pearl masters custom LE maple, and of course the SS. - GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS for any 'essential' snares I can be looking out for on a BUDGET - for example, is a vintage Acrolyte worth picking up? How about an old imperialstar or mid level gretsch snares? TIA,
-AV

Attachments

• IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 5,952
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 7,230
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 11,102
Very nice drum set. I'm a fan of Tama and I recently got one myself. I know some things like the rubber sleeve on the bass drum claws allow you to have the reso head tuned so loose that it would normally come apart. Mine hoops hangs on barely, but the claws are never gonna let go. Also, great hoops now the die cast starclassic ones and yours are even black nickel. I'm really like natural finish with black hardware on kits.

Hey there i reckon $80 for a JJ snare is pretty good. I think that almost any vintage ludwig is a snare drum worth having and the acrolites are pretty legendary snares themselves. I like the kit too.

Hey there i reckon $80 for a JJ snare is pretty good. I think that almost any vintage ludwig is a snare drum worth having and the acrolites are pretty legendary snares themselves. I like the kit too.

Thanks for that, I'll definitely keep on the prowl for an Acrolite under $100 CAD which might take some time. A guy has one listed on craigslist in my area for 150 but he'll have to be flexible unless it's in extreme mint condition or something. Are there any Acrolites that are worth avoiding or worth paying more for? Does ludalloy mean anything? Thanks again, cheers

-AV

Back