Renown Floor Tom Big Brother

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
The 14 x 14 is my Gretsch Renown. The 16 x 16 is my new addition Gretsch Catalina Maple floor tom. Now with the 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms I can set up with just about any configuration. I think the color match went pretty well sight unseen. The Renown has a lighter belly section but the darkest part is the same as the Catalina. enjoy.

Sound byte on last post

Attachments

• CIMG0417.JPG
    CIMG0417.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 711
  • CIMG0418.JPG
    CIMG0418.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Very cool. And with "certain lighting", could be quite hard to tell. Or, to someone with an "untrained eye", someone might think it's "lighting" (bright spot/shadow) that's the culprit.

It has a generic Gretsch reso head and I put a Fiberskin batter on to match the others and my ear can't tell. It is tuned real low right now and I will tweak tomorrow. It was too late to pound on this evening. It does reaffirm my conviction that the Catalina Maple sets are great sets for the money. This drum was 85.00 plus shipping and I have no regrets. I'll try to get a sound byte tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Nice. Like the others have said, A nondrummer wouldn't know the difference. I even had to look twice. I thought it was the lighting.

Oh, I was waiting to see it "in the pixel" as it were. I think you did quite well, GD. I'm glad the sound is suitable to the Renowns. And you're right with the versatility of that lineup. Excellent find.

Great buy mate. They go together pretty much perfectly, in a gig environment you'd have to look pretty hard to notice if no-one told you they were different series. Also these days midrange kits are very good quality so i can imagine this sounding very good even with the renkowns sitting next to it. It's a great idea having all those drums for versatility, i reckon you should set them all up sometime and just have a monster kit!

Sound byte with the 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16. The little buzz is a drum key on my 8 inch tom. Oops.

And a second with just the two floor toms

For the record, these were recorded using my H4 Zoom with 2 overhead mics about 6 feet away.

Attachments

• STE-002 1.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 316
  • STE-003.mp3
    529.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Hey Gruntersdad,

AWESOME pics. thanks for the Flickr link..
I think they look Marvelous.... I do like them a lot...

The sound files Sounded Great!
nice attack on the small toms :)

Thanks so much for posting!

Hey Gruntersdad,

AWESOME pics. thanks for the Flickr link..
I think they look Marvelous.... I do like them a lot...

The sound files Sounded Great!
nice attack on the small toms :)

Thanks so much for posting!

My pleasure. thanks for looking.

Cool GD! looks like you made a pretty good buy with the Cat maple tom!
I had a set of Catalina maples and they were great drums for the money!
I have since parted ways with those and scooped up a set of Renown Purewood Mahoganys.
I am wondering if I could scope out a Cat Club 14" floor, do a refinish job and seal the interior with some silver galvanized fence paint.??

Great score. Was this an Ebay purchase or otherwise? My only complaint about my Renowns is the 14" floor tom. I'd love to get a 16", especially for that price. I have the cherry burst finish as well....

This was an eBay purchase. It was 85.00 and the color is close enough for my taste. It sits in the back where it is not seen anyway.

nice. It's close enough for me too. Does the Catalina have the sealer on the interior as well? If you ever wanna get rid of it, remember me.....

The Catalina does not have the sealer on the inside. Your request is noted.

Back