FINALLY! Pics of my kit!

They actually are really open-sounding. In fact, my friend and I were at Guitar Center last year, and he was looking to buy new heads. I suggested the Studio-X's, because as the name implies, it would sound like a studio. That wasn't the case, although they still sound very good.

Nah, i've heard some, they really kill the drum sound. You sort of just get a toned "thump". Definetly not open. You want open, try an ambassador/diplomat or G+/G1 combo (or like i have an ambassador/G1 combo :p)

Nah, i've heard some, they really kill the drum sound. You sort of just get a toned "thump". Definetly not open. You want open, try an ambassador/diplomat or G+/G1 combo (or like i have an ambassador/G1 combo :p)

Hm, yeah, I guess so... I think next I'm gonna go with remo ps3's on the toms.

It's probably really old. The person who sold it wasn't even the person who owned it. It was her son I think... She sold it without his permission XD

Wow, that must suck for the son! But they still sell that exact model, even.

The performance IIs are the "thump" ones...Studio-X's are, as described by Aquarian:

Studio-X™: A clear, single ply, medium weight drumhead with a light weight muffle ring adhered to the underside. This helps to eliminate some unwanted high frequencies while still maintaining a warm open sound.

Wow, that must suck for the son! But they still sell that exact model, even.

The performance IIs are the "thump" ones...Studio-X's are, as described by Aquarian:

Studio-X™: A clear, single ply, medium weight drumhead with a light weight muffle ring adhered to the underside. This helps to eliminate some unwanted high frequencies while still maintaining a warm open sound.

I don't think it exactly fits within that description but whatever... XD

I don't think it exactly fits within that description but whatever... XD

Maybe it's just the resos you have or the way you have them tuned. Like I said, my friend's kit has these heads, and they sound just like the description, and sound pretty nice. If only he wasn't using my old PDP stock snare drum head for his snare xD

Seems like those Studio-Xs should be like PS3s, being that they're both just heads with thin muffling rings on the bottom of them. If I were you, I'd try something different. Maybe an unmuffled single ply? Maybe a two-ply? Maybe some nice cardboard Hydraulics?

In other news, I really dig your kit. The one-up two-down combo has always been attractive to me, I just have never had the opportunity to have one... :(

Back