1980's Premier

Rockingfreakapotamus

Recently I picked up a "new" kit for giging and recording, something a bit more portable for when we need to travel a few hours and they dont have house kits, which, to be fair, most places here DO have.
My current kit, the HUGE Gretsch Catalina Rock is far too big to carry around to gigs, it takes up the full car and cause im driving I cant indulge, so a wee kit in smaller sizes is just what I needed.
I was originaly planning on gettin a custom kit made by Highwood drums here in the UK but the waiting list was just too long for me to hold out for, so I decided to buy domestic, and I found a nice refurbished 80's premier kit (making it older then me, being an '89 kid) for a nice price, so I jumped on it.
The kit is from the early 80's and looks like it has Yamaha 9000 like hardware on the shells.
The snare was a rare find, a Gigster 1950's snare that had been refurbished aswell, which I didnt like so I bought some beeswax and redone it myself. This snare is so delicate, with the original parts, 6 lugs and European slot head tension rods. The shell is a tad out of round, but a beautiful shell none the less!
Also, a new cymbal addition, I got hold of a Sabian 22" Vault Artisan Light Ride used for 240 quid, which is 100 less then retail here, but still an extortionate cymbal, but I love it. Better than pretty much any ride ive ever heard before.

Specs

1980's Premier kit - dont know much about the model but it sounds good.

22" x 16" Bass drum
12" x 10" Tom
16" x 14" Floor tom

Gigster snare drum circa 1950-1955

14" x 5"

Cymbals

13" Zildjian K Mastersound High Hats
20" Sabian Artisan Medium Ride
22" Sabian Artisan Light Ride
22" Zildjian K Custom Left Side Ride w/ one rivet

Anyway, some pictures. The last picture is the "before" shot of the snare.

Attachments

• Photo0027.jpg
    Photo0027.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Photo0028.jpg
    Photo0028.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 414
  • Photo0029.jpg
    Photo0029.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 406
  • Photo0030.jpg
    Photo0030.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Photo0031.jpg
    Photo0031.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 402
  • Photo0033.jpg
    Photo0033.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 397
  • Photo0034.jpg
    Photo0034.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 409
  • Photo0035.jpg
    Photo0035.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Photo0036.jpg
    Photo0036.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 409
  • Photo0037.jpg
    Photo0037.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Photo0039.jpg
    Photo0039.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 406
  • snare originAL.jpg
    snare originAL.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 398
Yeah i think its they way its been refurbished, the brown gives it an "antique" look rather than a Vintage one :)

Im debating refinishing them aswell, but i will need an orbital to remove the varnish on it, cause its a nitro-cellulose based job, so its seeped deep into the wood.

What you guys think?

Very nice, dare I say I'd rather own your Preimer kit than your Catalina. I love the art deco styling of the Premier lugs. The deep brown shell color, probably, at least in part, due to the shell exterior being mahogany. Birch or maple, being a lighter wood, you get the color of the bass drum hoops. I'd keep the orbital sander away from the kit. If you want a lighter woodgrain finish, buy a sheet of veneer. Use just like a drum wrap. But honestly, I think they look way cool just the way they are.

Yeah i think its they way its been refurbished, the brown gives it an "antique" look rather than a Vintage one :)

Im debating refinishing them aswell, but i will need an orbital to remove the varnish on it, cause its a nitro-cellulose based job, so its seeped deep into the wood.

What you guys think?

I wouldn't bother to be honest, they look fine as it is. I remember i was wrapping my drums in fabric to make them look cool, then i got to the premier resonator and i realised there was no actual way of accesing the screws for the hardware!

Back