New (Old) DW Snare

JimboJim

Picked up an older DW snare on Craigslist about a month ago. It needed a little work, so I ended up getting a new throwoff, snare wires, heads and outfitted it with some wood hoops.

101_1583.jpg

101_1584.jpg

101_1585.jpg

Looks Beautiful... are you going to keep it?
Thanks.

Yes, it's my only wood snare. I had a Mapex Saturn snare that came with my kit, but I wasn't a big fan of it.

I'd like to know when this snare was made. I'm guessing it's older because of the black DW badge, but it doesn't have a date stamp on the inside like most that I have seen.

just curious
but what exactly is the appeal of the wood hoops?
(besides the fact that they look killer haha)

Warmer and drier than die cast hoops, much more bulk in your rim shots. It gives a richer tone in general.. I had some wood hoops on all my toms. Well worth looking into, it changes the tone as much as whether the shell is metal or wood.

Damn, I really love seeing DW snares. Always heavy shells, those things must have weight! Thats my ideal DW finish.. whether its simple and classy or over the top crazy, they all have that awesome look. Are you keeping the hoops natural color or in time getting them black lacquered?

Warmer and drier than die cast hoops, much more bulk in your rim shots. It gives a richer tone in general.. I had some wood hoops on all my toms. Well worth looking into, it changes the tone as much as whether the shell is metal or wood.

Damn, I really love seeing DW snares. Always heavy shells, those things must have weight! Thats my ideal DW finish.. whether its simple and classy or over the top crazy, they all have that awesome look. Are you keeping the hoops natural color or in time getting them black lacquered?
Thanks.

I think I'll stick with the natural color for now. I had planned on staining them black, but once I put them on to make sure they fit, I kinda liked the natural look.

As far as sound goes, the difference between the die-cast hoops that came with the snare and the wood hoops is significant. It definitely gives the drum a warmer, deeper tone. Almost more of a "pop", than a "crack", if that makes any sense.

nice job, it looks incredible! the wood hoops look awsome against the black, very classy!

Thanks.

I think I'll stick with the natural color for now. I had planned on staining them black, but once I put them on to make sure they fit, I kinda liked the natural look.

As far as sound goes, the difference between the die-cast hoops that came with the snare and the wood hoops is significant. It definitely gives the drum a warmer, deeper tone. Almost more of a "pop", than a "crack", if that makes any sense.

oh thanks for the insight
another question I have is what do those run you?

oh thanks for the insight
another question I have is what do those run you?
They were $65 each; $130 for the pair; Gibralter brand. I paid $250 for the snare and ended up dropping another $220 between the new heads, snare wires, throw-off and hoops. It wasn't cheap, but I figure it's similiar to what I'd pay for one on eBay, and that's almost certainly gonna be without wood hoops.

My biggest problem is that now it's too wide to fit on my snare stand... Oh well.

Back