Mapex Saturn Players Unite!

Should be pretty self-explanatory. Post some pics, specs of your kit, experience with it and join the growing army of mapex saturn warriors. Just bought a Saturn kit myself so i'm interested in who else uses the kit. Here's mine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=688408898

Drums
Mapex Saturn Studioease 6 piece drum kit (new for '08) in Antique Ivory Lacquer Finish
22x18" bass drum
10x8" rack tom
12x9" rack tom
14x14" floor tom
16x16" floor tom
14x5.5" snare drum

Cymbals
Sabian AA Medium 21" ride
Zildjian K (not sure, but it has the engraving) Heavy Ride 21", turned into sizzle ride
Sabian B8 16" Crash
Zildjian A 12" Splash
Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash
Zildjian A Custom/Z Dyno Beat 13" Hi-Hats

Anyone have any good recommendations for heads on this kit? (Maple/Walnut) I have Evans G2 coated on the toms right now and they sound good but I am thinking it could be even better if I dumped the stock remo reso's. What heads are you fellow Saturn users using?

Luigi I will check out your pics when I get home, I cant get on facebook here at work, I will also post some pics and stats of mine as well.

Here's my Saturns. I brought them second hand for a steal play them one up two down know so will try to get some new photo's when they set up.Other than a Gretsch i played these are the nicest drums i have ever heard/played(even DW's). And in regards to skins Clear or coated G2 over G1 emperor over ambassador cant go wrong.

Attachments

• ues.jpg
    ues.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 17,242
Thanks for the website 2b,

Gorgeous kit cypris, what was the model Gretsch you had that sounded better?

The biggest complaint I have about my saturn is the ring from the snare.. I just cannot seem to get rid of it without adding a ring muffler. I had an evans coated rev power dot, and now an Evans EC reverse dot snare head and I still have to add a muffler ring? I thought about changing the stock ambassador reso but I doubt that will help at all. I am still trying to develop a tuning ear so I bought and used a drum dial in conjunction with the evans torque key, bought an aluminum die cast rim, and still she rings like nobodies business.

Luckily I have my supraphonic which is what I use most of the time but I would like to use the maple/walnut snare but someting tells me this wood combo does not work with a snare drum.

Any thought or suggestions?

I'm more than happy to oblige, here's my Saturn kit in rootbeer burst sparkle finish.
9x12
14x14
16x16
14x22

1123081907aeditedqf4.jpg

Should be pretty self-explanatory. Post some pics, specs of your kit, experience with it and join the growing army of mapex saturn warriors. Just bought a Saturn kit myself so i'm interested in who else uses the kit. Here's mine.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&id=688408898

Drums
Mapex Saturn Studioease 6 piece drum kit (new for '08) in Antique Ivory Lacquer Finish
22x18" bass drum
10x8" rack tom
12x9" rack tom
14x14" floor tom
16x16" floor tom
14x5.5" snare drum

Cymbals
Sabian AA Medium 21" ride
Zildjian K (not sure, but it has the engraving) Heavy Ride 21", turned into sizzle ride
Sabian B8 16" Crash
Zildjian A 12" Splash
Zildjian K Custom Dark Splash
Zildjian A Custom/Z Dyno Beat 13" Hi-Hats
How do I access the pictures?

I am purchasing a Mapex Saturn kit soon from massmusic.net. I'm buying the following sizes...

22x18
10x8
12x9
16x16
18x16

Unfortunatly, I can't afford the 18x16 floor tom yet, so I will have to wait to buy it to complete my set. I will end up buying a Mapex 13x6 Maple Black Panther to accompany my Mapex set. I am so excited!

I'll post a picture of my Saturns that are coming in a few weeks. The sizes will be...

22x18
10x8
12x9
16x16
18x16

Unfortunately, I cannot afford the 18x16 floor tom right away, but I will have it about a month after I actually buy the kit. I'm thinking I will go with the Black Saphire color because I really like the shade of blue.

I have had my mapex for over a year now, and they never cease to amaze me. All my bandmates also comment on the sound, often saying it is the best drum sound they have ever heard. I guess it all boils down to the tuning and heads.

All I am really saying is:

GO MAPEX SATURN SERIES!!!!

The most consistent, best drums I have ever played on.

You can see the pictures and recordings of moderate quality at www.myspace.com/paulzimmerdrummer
If interested.

I got my Saturn's this summer, and they have to be the best investment I have ever made. I picked up the limited edition kit with Walnut and Birch plies. My sizes are:
22x20 bass
10x8, 12x9 mounted toms
14x12, 16x14 floor toms
and i have a Chad Smith Lim. Ed. Snare(Pearl)
I have the Galaxy Fade I belive, and it looks amazing. I'll be adding some pictures soon.
LONG LIVE THE SATURN!!

i got my saturn in august such an amazing kit i love it so much.
i got the limited edition krystal krush wrap la stomp kit

Sizes:

22x20 bass
14x7 snare
12x8 tom
16x16 floortom

I'm just reposting my pics in an easier format. Check it out!

Attachments

• DSCF0279.JPG
    DSCF0279.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 16,063
  • DSCF0280.JPG
    DSCF0280.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 15,934
  • DSCF0288.JPG
    DSCF0288.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 15,739
Anyone have any good recommendations for heads on this kit? (Maple/Walnut) I have Evans G2 coated on the toms right now and they sound good but I am thinking it could be even better if I dumped the stock remo reso's. What heads are you fellow Saturn users using?

Luigi I will check out your pics when I get home, I cant get on facebook here at work, I will also post some pics and stats of mine as well.

Dude....Remo Black Suede Emperors for batters, ambassadors for the resonants.
Never had a better drum sound in my life....

What tentions do you put the heads too with the black sueds? ex. batter high reso. low,, batter low reso high... etc

What tentions do you put the heads too with the black sueds? ex. batter high reso. low,, batter low reso high... etc
I keep em pretty much at the same tension; somewhere around a medium high tension.
The closer the two heads are to eachother, the more constant the pitch that the drum creates.

I got my Saturn's this summer, and they have to be the best investment I have ever made. I picked up the limited edition kit with Walnut and Birch plies. My sizes are:
22x20 bass
10x8, 12x9 mounted toms
14x12, 16x14 floor toms
and i have a Chad Smith Lim. Ed. Snare(Pearl)
I have the Galaxy Fade I belive, and it looks amazing. I'll be adding some pictures soon.
LONG LIVE THE SATURN!!

It is the best looking Saturn, I too have exactly the same setup and finish and the kit has my mouth dropping when I play it, it's just about the sweetest drum kit I've owned, and this is my ninth kit.

I have the Chad Smith sig snare too but I don't use it that often with my Saturn, I tend to use a pair of Mapex Black Panther snares 14x5.5 and 10x5.5 with my kit.

This image is different to the next one on, this one was a try out with a different setup by placing the 14" floor on my left, found it was getting used as a towel stand more than a drum ;D

IMG_4268.jpg

The snare in this pic is a Tama Warlord Valyrie 13" and it's another great sounding snare...

SNC12222.jpg

The Mapex Black Panther twins as I call them....

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

Back