Drummers of divorced parents

jwildman

Hopefully I'm not the only one thinking this but this is just a bit of an airing of greivences.

I'll sum my story up for you guys. Because of unfavorable, on my part, (fortunate for most) circumstances I had to start getting two drum sets ready for each house. I had been upgrading my set for a good couple of months but wasn't done. I still needed a good 1000 bucks for getting both sets ready (I have a pretty big kit and I wanted to buy more top of the line stuff). So I've been spending damn near everything I've ever saved and everything I'm getting from my job to buy a bunch of drum equipment. Bottom line is that I'm a pretty pissed at the timing of my parents divorce so that I have to call all over the place and settle for alot just so I can spend an ass load of money on wood and metal.

To all the kids on here whose parents are divorced, what do you guys do as far as drumming? Or to anyone whose been through this situation, is there any way to save money here other than buying used?

Don't you stay with one parent more than the other? Why buy two of everything? Why not just have your normal single kit and when you go visit or stay a while with your other parent, you just take your practice pad and metronome, and if you need to get some more stuff, bring along a practice bass drum pad and pedal. Work on technique, coordination, feet and hands etc.

Unless you're moving back and forth every single day or staying 50/50, which isn't even really that bad. Whichever place you stay longer at, leave your kit there and whichever place you aren't at for as long, take your pads etc along with you to that one.

That sux about your parents man... but be thankful they both encourage your playing and give you the space and time to play. My mom HATED me playing but mt dad played so he always gave the ok. Anywayyyy...

Maybe just invest in a quality cymbal carrier and bring the cymbals with you. Along with your pedal and sticks, etc... maybe the snare too. Just a suggestion. Good luck with everything else this situation brings.

I would buy two five piece kits with different sized toms of the same finish so you can combine it into a dbl bass monster kit. One set of cymbals with a carrier

First off, sorry for your parents...

Concerning the drums issue. I hope you are not trying to have two replica kits at each of their houses - that would be a huge unnecessary waste of money.

I agree with what has been said above:

- The cheapest solution would be to have your kit at one parents house and take practice pad and why not kick pad to the other.
- The other solution would be to have two kits that can be combined as one big kit.

If not, why not getting a small practice kit for one house - you don't *need* a giant kit to practice, there are millions of things you can work on with just a four piece kit. Not to mention if ever you gig it could be used as a gigging kit for small venues or whatnot.

Good luck!

I would talk to my parents about working something out so you can practice your instrument without having to buy TWO kits. I mean if you are practicing you aren't exactly hanging out with your parents anyways so maybe they can let you go to just one house daily to practice. It seems like a really weird situation. My dad wouldn't let me play when he was home anyways so I would just play at my mom's house. She loved it and actually her neighbors told her they missed me when I went away to college becuase they enjoyed listening to the music.

if your really set about buying another kit, if i where you i would get an electric kit as the second, they are just fun and good to have!

Although this can be a very practical investment to be able to keep playing the day he'll move out (since most of us settle in a flat), the issue with that is money. He said he needs another 1000$ to get what he needs. A decent e-kit is going to be twice that amount :/

Definitely think you should take a practice pad to one house and when you're there concentrate on chops. Not having the kit handy will help you focus.

Back