This is the most elaborate cover I've ever seen on youtube.

I don't understand the fascination. He's simply playing hard rock/metal grooves and fills along to a hip hop song. They are both in standard 4/4, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play them over the song.

Let's face it drum covers are pretty boring. No musical interplay, just one person to look at and, worst, most times the drums are mixed way too loud so the whole thing sounds horrible, even when the playing is good. (Yes, there are exceptions).

If you're going to do a drum cover, why not dress it up so it's less boring? Now we're getting a new breed of drum coverers, who aren't just playing covers as a promotional tool but as a specialty in itself. For some, it might even be their main gig.

Personally, I like drum covers about as much as I like drummers being replaced by drum machines. Still, it's good to see a bit of drummer revenge - the other musos become expendable while the drum star plays along with a music machine :)

I like it

I think the track sounds great.......

visuals are nice .....

nice playing as well

why does everyone need their mind blown? I enjoy watching the product of someones work ...even something as simple as this.....his playing was very appropriate for the style he was intending .....

looked like a Paiste add......but well done never the less

I like it

visuals are nice .....

nice playing as well

why does everyone need their mind blown? I enjoy watching the product of someones work ...even something as simple as this.....his playing was very appropriate for the style he was intending .....

+1

I enjoyed it as a fan of music. I don't need to pick it apart or worry about a debate about doing drum covers. The bottom line to me was that he did a fine job and the production value kept me interested.

Thanks for posting!

Ok, someone spent some money on studio recording/remix & a two camera edit. Yes, great production values for what it is, but boring as hell for me. I hate the stupidly over dramatised fluff, bare feet, camera glancing, etc, but I guess it adds drama if you're 12. Good luck to him, it obviously works in terms of hits. Maybe, by this time next year, he'll be a ledgend in his own bathtime! Off for a snooze.

Maybe, by this time next year, he'll be a ledgend in his own bathtime! Off for a snooze.

Who knows... maybe by this time next year you will be at his show. There is a lot to be said about performance and attitude. I would much rather watch this cat then some old stale log... if both are "getting it done" then I would prefer to see someone actually having fun doing it. The "stupidly over dramatized fluff" often sells records and shows. And I am far from a kid - I am much closer to your age than his.

I personally don't care for the song itself but I give credit for his rendition - I thought he made it better than it probably was. Furthermore, he made watching a cover a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the typical junk out there. I can appreciate a clean recording. Its not just about the playing... when a million people can play that with one hand then you look for more and I think he provided that. Just my opinion, of course.

. I would much rather watch this cat then some old stale log... Just my opinion, of course.
Ouch! I'm not completely static----yet, lol.

Seriously, it's not animated playing that gets me. I completely buy into the need for a show, but this performance just comes across as false to me. I love it when a player is so obviously getting off on the vibe. Take Mike Mangini's DT audition for example. He's right in the zone & having fun. That's a totally different vibe to this guy's multi take "look at me" thing going on.

Kudos to him for the slick production, & the playing's not bad either. Just not my thing. Almost a "lip sync" version of a drumming performance. Just my opinion, & each to his own.

I enjoy watching drum covers on YT, seeing others playing songs I enjoy.

They also help me figure out how to play songs, if they're particularly hard or complicated then watching other's mistakes, or other's examples and such can be a huge help.

moontheloon said:
I like it

visuals are nice .....

nice playing as well

+1

I enjoyed it as a fan of music. I don't need to pick it apart or worry about a debate about doing drum covers. The bottom line to me was that he did a fine job and the production value kept me interested.

Thanks for posting!

+2, and for the same reasons.

It wasn't AMAZING!!, but in the realm of YouTube drum covers, I though it was one of the better ones I've seen, visually speaking.

I'm an old fart on this site and I loved everything about this video. I wouldn't have chosen that particular song to drum to, but he killed it visually and technique-wise. I dig the Travis Barker "over-the-top-" style of drumming. I would much rather watch an expressive drummer than a stifled one. Barefoot? Hell yeah! Me and my pedals are one. Did anyone catch the drums he was using? Looked like a Mapex Saturn series if I saw the large badges correctly. Doesn't really matter to me though. Excellent video. Would watch again...

Back