Don't stop believing

I just learned this one last week for a new cover group I'm in. When I first heard the ride cymbal in there, I was like wtf. How am I gonna play this part? Then later, "Oh, yeah, open handed." duh.

I've had to play that in many bands and it's quite easy but it just burns me up to go see drummers attempt it and NOT play open handed!

when i see cover bands play this song, usually the drummer doesn't even attempt to play it like the original. they usually just play a straight rock beat.

when i see cover bands play this song, usually the drummer doesn't even attempt to play it like the original. they usually just play a straight rock beat.

Man, that's crazy. I'd like to see a drummer play "50 ways" just playing money beat!

OK, full disclosure, I've learned through this thread I've been playing this song wrong. In my defense, I do freelance wedding band gigs, not cover bands, so I can't prepare for the gig because I don't songs will be called ahead of time, but lately this song has made a come-back. Now that I know how to really do it, I hope it gets called again on one of my gigs!

And for the love of God, why?? It's NOT difficult! **scratches head....

And for the love of God, why?? It's NOT difficult! **scratches head....

Well, OK, more disclosure...I find it a little difficult, some of us do. My drumming is about half trad grip, half matched, and all right hand lead. I can execute the pattern fine, but it doesn't feel as strong as when I lead with the right because I don't do it much. Watching Steve's left hand hi-hat, I think he doesn't play it as strong as his right, either. (Compare it to Aronoff's hi-hat work, for example) I do, from time to time, while playing a long dance set with a simple rock beat, play left lead for a challenge and try to make it feel as good as my right, but it's never quite there.

Youtube is a wonderful tool.

Here is Mr. Smith himself talk about the pattern and giving a brief demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyueXH0MNwE&feature=related

Best,
rjvsmb

That's a great link, really illuminates the creative process of a BAND, and shows how a simple embellishment changes a good tune into a great one. Someone asked about Journey's "split" and Steve said they all got an equal share, and he's set for life because of it. If a band wants to sound like a band, and they create the songs together, even if its to a limited degree, they should all share in the publishing. If your record hits big, how bad will the vibe be if the bass player and drummer show up to the next rehearsal in hondas, while the singer/guitar player have Porsches? I doubt they will feel like contributing much. What would Tool sound like if Maynerd wrote Danny's drumparts? If Geddy wrote Neals? Even if it's not an even split, it should be something. It also pisses me off when a band fires rhythm section members and replaces them with sidemen to get a bigger share. Let's see, who's done this? Oh, I remember, it was STEVE PERRY!

That's a great link, really illuminates the creative process of a BAND, and shows how a simple embellishment changes a good tune into a great one. Someone asked about Journey's "split" and Steve said they all got an equal share, and he's set for life because of it. If a band wants to sound like a band, and they create the songs together, even if its to a limited degree, they should all share in the publishing. If your record hits big, how bad will the vibe be if the bass player and drummer show up to the next rehearsal in hondas, while the singer/guitar player have Porsches? I doubt they will feel like contributing much. What would Tool sound like if Maynerd wrote Danny's drumparts? If Geddy wrote Neals? Even if it's not an even split, it should be something. It also pisses me off when a band fires rhythm section members and replaces them with sidemen to get a bigger share. Let's see, who's done this? Oh, I remember, it was STEVE PERRY!

This reminds me of an interview with Steve Smith I read years ago...Steve Perry really came across poorly....was telling Smith he had bad time ( laughable) and became a pretty demanding sounding p*ick in the studio to be honest. There were other things too and it evenutally leed to the splitting of Smith from Journey....apparently Perry was a drummer when he was younger but I doubt he was anywhere in the ballpark of where Smith is/was but acted like a complete know it all.....my impression of Perry has been bad ever since.

I think it's possible to play it cross-armed if you have a high hi-hat. Open-handed is much easier though.

This reminds me of an interview with Steve Smith I read years ago...Steve Perry really came across poorly....was telling Smith he had bad time ( laughable) and became a pretty demanding sounding p*ick in the studio to be honest. There were other things too and it evenutally leed to the splitting of Smith from Journey....apparently Perry was a drummer when he was younger but I doubt he was anywhere in the ballpark of where Smith is/was but acted like a complete know it all.....my impression of Perry has been bad ever since.

Smith admitted the problem was he couldn't play to a click, and Perry wanted him to.
It wasn't until after he was canned that Smith learned how to play to a click.

Not to excuse Perry though, he was a total jerk to the rest of the band at the time, and it's apparent from interviews he's done since then Perry has some serious issues.

In one interview I read, Perry said he never felt like he was part of the band because the other members had all played with name bands before Journey, which is laughable given Perry wrote a large percentage of Journey material. Another interview Perry says the band was wrong to play those songs without him, never mind that Perry did a solo tour where he played Journey songs without the rest of the band.

However, in the Behind the Music, Perry did admit he was in the wrong and that he regretted getting rid of Smith and Valory.

Floating around the net is an interview with Journey's long time manager Herbie Herbert and he lays into Perry pretty hard over the firing, and points out how many albums and awards Steve Smith has gained since getting booted from Journey. Herbie also discusses how he kept Steve Smith on the band's payroll through out the Raised on Radio tour, even though he wasn't in the band anymore.

I started playing left hand lead when I was playing heavy stuff because my right arm and hand would get tired so now that helps play songs like this. I was also a big Journey fan as a kid, which my friends hated me for since we played Maiden and Priest! HA, I still to this day think Steve's playing on La Do Da, or anything off of live captured is just as awesome as anything with his jazz band.

Smith admitted the problem was he couldn't play to a click, and Perry wanted him to.
It wasn't until after he was canned that Smith learned how to play to a click.

Not to excuse Perry though, he was a total jerk to the rest of the band at the time, and it's apparent from interviews he's done since then Perry has some serious issues.

In one interview I read, Perry said he never felt like he was part of the band because the other members had all played with name bands before Journey, which is laughable given Perry wrote a large percentage of Journey material. Another interview Perry says the band was wrong to play those songs without him, never mind that Perry did a solo tour where he played Journey songs without the rest of the band.

However, in the Behind the Music, Perry did admit he was in the wrong and that he regretted getting rid of Smith and Valory.

Floating around the net is an interview with Journey's long time manager Herbie Herbert and he lays into Perry pretty hard over the firing, and points out how many albums and awards Steve Smith has gained since getting booted from Journey. Herbie also discusses how he kept Steve Smith on the band's payroll through out the Raised on Radio tour, even though he wasn't in the band anymore.

Here's the link to that interview. It's hella-huge, I just spent over an hour reading it, but lots of stuff in there.

I do play it cross handed, however I do keep the high hat going with my foot as well. I have had no problem playing it that way. I did take me a LONG time to learn, with repetitive listening and playing...(thank god for i-pods)....but now that I have seen the open handed way ill try that and see what I come up with.

I agree, the Captured live album is great.

Looking forward to reading the Herbert interview. Thanks for the link.

Back