The body-snatchers

aydee

Platinum Member

This is addressed mainly to the intermediate > advanced drummers who play any form of improvisationally oriented music- but hey… do jump in if it tickles:

During practice, a performance or a gig do you ever find yourself channeling a drummer that has inspired you?

I’m not talking about your personal style, which of course had developed as a culmination of listening many people and squeezed out as your own groove juice………
……I’m talking; you are playing and unconsciously you do something that reminds you of, say, Eric Harland, and then you consciously recall some of his signatures moves and then suddenly he’s inside your body for a few bars..

Do you ever experience this sensation?

…

Last edited:
Yes, this happens to me all the time.
There must be no loud rock music in heaven. Keith Moon keeps trying to use me as his surrogate by channeling his energy and technique through me.
Even when I'm not playing Who music.

(I guess he is using me as a Substitute).

Yes, this happens to me all the time.
There must be no loud rock music in heaven. Keith Moon keeps trying to use me as his surrogate by channeling his energy and technique through me.
Even when I'm not playing Who music.

(I guess he is using me as a Substitute).

Jim....Does this mean you throw explosives in hotel toilets and gaffer tape headphones on your bonce ( head) :)

yes. and it annoys the crap out of me. it usually happens when i look at a member of the audience and somehow i channel them and what they like.

mind you, i'm a guitar player who never looks at the audience until i feel we've got things under control...then i look out to see how we're doing. one time i looked up and my eyes landed on some dude and a Hendrix lick came out of nowhere. after the performance he asked me "How did you learn to play like Hendrix ?"

i wanted to say....well i looked at you and there it was.

but i doubt he'd understand that.

neither do i really.

yes. and it annoys the crap out of me. it usually happens when i look at a member of the audience and somehow i channel them and what they like.

mind you, i'm a guitar player who never looks at the audience until i feel we've got things under control...then i look out to see how we're doing. one time i looked up and my eyes landed on some dude and a Hendrix lick came out of nowhere. after the performance he asked me "How did you learn to play like Hendrix ?"

i wanted to say....well i looked at you and there it was.

but i doubt he'd understand that.

neither do i really.

haha, love that story.. : )

Purdie. Ringo. Bonzo. There's Charlie. Karen Carpenter. Steve Gadd. Steve Jordan. Moonie. Aynsley Dunbar at times.

It is kind of odd, come to think of it. Be a damn sight cooler if it was real rather than an internal sensation, though.

A few years ago I was lying in bed and decided to imagine I was walking out onto a big stage to the kit in a major concert. It might sound like a standard fantasy but I have actually never done this because I know I'm not up to that standard so something in my mind refuses to go there because it's not real.

This particular night I basically decided there was no reason why I shouldn't allow myself to do it - after all, why not? - and "dived in". For once I didn't let my imagination hold back and allowed myself to imagine that I was playing the music at this concert with complete focus and control, zero nerves or self consciousness. I made it really vivid and started to really feel like I was there.

Unexpectedly, within minutes I was in a peak experience that lasted about half an hour. It was the trippiest thing I've felt in my life. I can't describe it to you in a public forum because when people describe a peak experience they sound like a complete mental case :)

I haven't tried this little imagination game again since because it's difficult for me to let my imagination go to that extent - lots of internal resistance.

The mind is a strange and interesting thing. Then again, everything in the world is strange and interesting if you think about it :)

Oh, yeah!

I even channel myself from the distant past...or clear amalgams of 2 distinct drummers...but I have to allow it to occur.

Back