Show your wood

I've never seen Bubinga that looked so light! beautiful looking snares Andy, your/Guru's work is so impressive!!

If you guys ever have any extra drums that are just taking up space and you need to get rid of them, please just let me know. I'd be happy to help. :)

-Jonathan

I've never seen Bubinga that looked so light! beautiful looking snares Andy, your/Guru's work is so impressive!!

If you guys ever have any extra drums that are just taking up space and you need to get rid of them, please just let me know. I'd be happy to help. :)

-Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan, & great to hear from you :) How's your band going? Sounded superb last time you posted.

No drums going spare I'm afraid. These in the pictures have gone to their new homes too. We built the cocobolo snare as one for our display at the London Drum Show. I was pretty disappointed when someone bought it :(

The bubinga snare is made from the area that transits the sapwood & heartwood, hence the lighter sections. That said, if you look at the darker sections, you can see that this wood has great beauty, and looks nothing like the bubinga that's usually used in other drums.

Here are a few recent addons.

Canarywood sisters
14t3nyw.jpg

34yr5w3.jpg

Ziricote with matching throw off accents

33vj60y.jpg

2r4mlv6.jpg

The offset lugs look like hell, but the olive wood is stunningly beautiful.

You' re right. I regreted very much about those offset lugs... This snare would look much better with sigle point lugs. The olive wood is maybe the most beautifull wood and the wild olive even more pretty

You' re right. I regreted very much about those offset lugs... This snare would look much better with sigle point lugs. The olive wood is maybe the most beautifull wood and the wild olive even more pretty

So is the olive wood quite easy to get in Greece? My best friend is Greek, his Mom still has a place there. I wonder if I could get him to bring me some back next time he goes over. It is some of the nicest wood I have seen, so many great building woods are dark, like the Ziricote I posted up top, it is nice to see the figuring so easily in that Olive.

Not seen this thread before. Hmmm... I don't appear to own many wood finish kits.

Sonor Signature kit in Makassar Ebony:

Signatures2_zps8e13272a.jpg

Signatures_zps08b6a7f5.jpg

Yamaha Beech Customs in Lime Green:

003-5-1.jpg

BeechCustoms_zpsccdec51e.jpg

Yamaha Oak Customs in York Honey Amber:

018.jpg

ingig023.jpg

I'm now thinking on what to go for next.

So is the olive wood quite easy to get in Greece? My best friend is Greek, his Mom still has a place there. I wonder if I could get him to bring me some back next time he goes over. It is some of the nicest wood I have seen, so many great building woods are dark, like the Ziricote I posted up top, it is nice to see the figuring so easily in that Olive.

Olives are not big trees..... You cannot buy olive wood at the wood supliers. If your friend has land with olive trees maybe he will be able to bring you, BUT. Olives usually are roten inside and you cannot get enough wood from one tree, also has many cracks.
Once i cutted two olive trees and i didnt get enough wood even for one snare.
I have a friend who carries olive wood in USA for his girlfriends father!!!.
Olive is a very hard wood.

Not seen this thread before. Hmmm... I don't appear to own many wood finish kits.

Sonor Signature kit in Makassar Ebony:

Yamaha Beech Customs in Lime Green:

Yamaha Oak Customs in York Honey Amber:

I'm now thinking on what to go for next.

Stunning kits all of them, especially the makassar ebony. But which have natural unstained finish? This thread is just for kits with unstained wood with minimal oiling or change to the natural finish

Stunning kits all of them, especially the makassar ebony. But which have natural unstained finish? This thread is just for kits with unstained wood with minimal oiling or change to the natural finish

The Signature has an incredibly thin layer of clear laquer giving the drums a waxed look; no staining whatsoever.

The Yamaha's have laquer over stained finishes, so probably they shouldn't be included.

I shall go horsewhip myself with a very large horse. ;-)

Back