Drum Badges: Should there be any: Good, bad ugly, post your pics.

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
Should drums have a badge on them, does it detract from the finish....? do we really have to know who the maker is...?

And if there has to be a badge, what examples do you like and what do you loath?

Post your examples:

I'd say that brady have went to the extremes and turned them into true works of arts.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 4,011
Last edited:
And i recon this is a stinker.

Looks very americanised for a british producer

Attachments

• 142_xpk badge.jpg
    142_xpk badge.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 4,031
this is a shame
IMG_9337.jpg

I can't stand big square badges, this is awful and to me it ruins a beautiful drum. and the mapex meridian with the circle badge is really classy too. I don't get it.

I always liked the small badges best. The Gretsch round badge and the Slingerland badges along with the early Ludwig badges are among my favs.
Smaller is better when it comes to badges.

do we really have to know who the maker is...?

Man. Even a bar of soap has the name on it.

2USh6.jpg

Eh. I never really see it, so it doesn't bother me.

I always liked the small badges best. The Gretsch round badge and the Slingerland badges along with the early Ludwig badges are among my favs.
Smaller is better when it comes to badges.

Small is better, I think.

I do not recall DW has badges. They have distinctive hardware, which identifies the drum, so maybe badges aren't needed with DW.

My badges are branded into the drum - like with a hot iron.

2USh6.jpg

Eh. I never really see it, so it doesn't bother me.

That has always struck me as the ugliest color scheme ever, however I love blue and olive badges. I guess it's just nostalgia from my high school marching band days, but it must be something else because I don't get teary eyed when I see a remo pinstripe.

I do prefer the pointy blue and olive badges even though they did get caught on everything.

GOOD BADGES
drumcodrums.jpg

gretsch_rounde_large.jpg

keystone_badge_pre_serial_number_large.jpg

P10_Fibes_1.jpg

Understandable why many cymbal makes have large tacky logos, but I hate that.
Although it doesn't/wouldn't stop me buying the right sounding cymbal.

this is a shame
IMG_9337.jpg

I can't stand big square badges, this is awful and to me it ruins a beautiful drum. and the mapex meridian with the circle badge is really classy too. I don't get it.

I totaly agree there monsters...

do we really have to know who the maker is...?

Man. Even a bar of soap has the name on it.

Ha ha, very true, although my granny stocks a green soap with no name on it, and thats the most fantastic soap in creation.

Tama's decal under the clear coat is nice.

Got any pics of that, i cant find any?

It seems that most of us agree that logos and badges have gotten out of hand. It has been this way since the seventies when I first noticed badges getting larger.
You would think that manufacturers would survey people and realize that most people don't like giant logos on their drums and cymbals.
I understand that they are proud of their products and their trade marks.
But enough is enough!
A small badge or stamp is fine!

Tell you what tho, i do like the red premier badges, maybe because im proud of a u.k make.

And there not particularly obtrusive.

Attachments

• RedSparkleBadge-1.jpg
    RedSparkleBadge-1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 5,594
That's a nice logo Big Foot. That's all that there should be on a drum to identify it.

Some badges are bad. However, I find some tom mounts really ruin the look by hiding to much of the drum. This pic is extreme, but I wish they'd put the same effort into the look of support as the drum. sorry to change the subject...

Attachments

• gts.jpg
    gts.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,690
I always liked the script type of logo.

Attachments

• pearl_script_logo_gold_large.jpg
    pearl_script_logo_gold_large.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,556
  • rogers_script_1958-59.jpg
    rogers_script_1958-59.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3,438
It much nicer when the badge is cast or stamped. Also the way it's fixed to the drum makes a difference. Screwed or bolted down with or w/out a gasket behind...

Back