New kit... one more day...

dkerwood

Silver Member
Tomorrow I get to jump in the car, drive 4 hours through 3 states, and pick up my new (new to me) 1998 GMS CL series drumkit- nice transparent green over the 8 ply maple virgin shells. Sizes are 10, 12, 16 toms, 22 kick. Also comes with Pearl Icon rack, Iron Cobra double pedal, tama hi hat stand, and a slew of other hardware. I also will get some Sabian B8 hi hats, a K Custom dark crash, a cracked HHX Manhattan crash/ride, cracked Zildjian China Low, a 6" Zil-bel, and a Paiste Sound Formula Power Ride. Add to this DW mounting hardware, and I'm getting a killer deal for only $750 (less my time and gas, of course)!

I'm super, super excited, since I haven't bought anything for drums in the last two or three years. I've had my big 80's Ludwig set for about 7 years now, and had my first Japanese kit since '95 or so.

To pay for it? Sold a set of Paiste 400 hats and some Wuhan chinas/splashes for $80, sold my Japanese kit for $300, sold two of the Ludwig toms for $100, sold two PA speakers for $200, sold a mixer for $200. Now if I can get a buyer for the rest of the Ludwig and my old rack, I'll have another $4-500 in my pocket.

I've already promised the "new" B8 hats and the cracked cymbals to the mom buying my Japanese kit for her son. I know a guy who bleeds Paiste who will probably buy the Sound Formula ride, assuming that I don't like it. I suspect that the K Custom will stay in my collection, though I'll probably sell of the Zil-bel. I figure I can sell the Icon Rack and the Tama hi hat stand pretty easily, and can (hopefully) trade the Iron Cobra for a REALLY nice single pedal. So in the end, I will end up with a ton of cash in my pocket... and maybe I can afford to have my local custom builder make me a new snare!

I'll take some pics over the weekend if I can peel myself away from playing the kit!

Tomorrow I get to jump in the car, drive 4 hours through 3 states, and pick up my new (new to me) 1998 GMS CL series drumkit- nice transparent green over the 8 ply maple virgin shells. Sizes are 10, 12, 16 toms, 22 kick. Also comes with Pearl Icon rack, Iron Cobra double pedal, tama hi hat stand, and a slew of other hardware. I also will get some Sabian B8 hi hats, a K Custom dark crash, a cracked HHX Manhattan crash/ride, cracked Zildjian China Low, a 6" Zil-bel, and a Paiste Sound Formula Power Ride. Add to this DW mounting hardware, and I'm getting a killer deal for only $750 (less my time and gas, of course)!

I'm super, super excited, since I haven't bought anything for drums in the last two or three years. I've had my big 80's Ludwig set for about 7 years now, and had my first Japanese kit since '95 or so.

To pay for it? Sold a set of Paiste 400 hats and some Wuhan chinas/splashes for $80, sold my Japanese kit for $300, sold two of the Ludwig toms for $100, sold two PA speakers for $200, sold a mixer for $200. Now if I can get a buyer for the rest of the Ludwig and my old rack, I'll have another $4-500 in my pocket.

I've already promised the "new" B8 hats and the cracked cymbals to the mom buying my Japanese kit for her son. I know a guy who bleeds Paiste who will probably buy the Sound Formula ride, assuming that I don't like it. I suspect that the K Custom will stay in my collection, though I'll probably sell of the Zil-bel. I figure I can sell the Icon Rack and the Tama hi hat stand pretty easily, and can (hopefully) trade the Iron Cobra for a REALLY nice single pedal. So in the end, I will end up with a ton of cash in my pocket... and maybe I can afford to have my local custom builder make me a new snare!

I'll take some pics over the weekend if I can peel myself away from playing the kit!

That sounds very nice. the sound formula ride will be awesome. I have one.

Ah, it's beautiful, even just sitting there...

We just got home. Ended up being behind the wheel for about 11 hours today... we ran into a bunch on construction going up, so we decided to take another route on the way back. Second route gave us MORE construction, including a 30 minute detour down back roads (it's a bad sign when the construction sign says "road closed 23 miles ahead" and they're already detouring you).

Despite that, I've finally got my GMS home. The guy ended up giving me a bunch of extras- a Pearl kick pedal, a "C" crotale (he mounted it on his hi hat), a Gibraltar throne, stick bag, some hot rods, and a ton of extra miscellaneous hardware. I pulled out the cymbals- I think the Zildjian K will find a good home in my cymbal collection, and the Paiste ride is gorgeous, even with just a finger tap. Much as I hate to say it, I may end up selling my Zildjian A ride...

Ah, too bad I have a piano gig in the morning tomorrow. But just wait until the afternoon, dear GMS. We'll have some glorious times together. Pics will probably come on Sunday, after I've had some fun on the new toy...

Pictures!! We need them!! I want to see these gorgeous new tubs.

I got 'em set up the way I think they'll stay for a while, and I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow. Here are my initial thoughts:

First, a 10" tom was a challenge. I started off tuning it almost an octave higher than the low tom, but then I think I got it under control. Usually I tune toms as low as possible and still have a tone. The 10" doesn't like that, either. It sounds good now, though.

I was a little uncomfortable with all three mounted toms, but I like being able to place toms wherever I want... and mounting cymbals and toms from the same stands is kind of nice. I ended up putting the two upper toms to the upper left and right of the snare, which provides a unique mix between a 4 piece and 5 piece feel.

The four "cymbals" that I was planning to keep from the set were the Zildjian K Custom 18" dark crash, Paiste Sound Formula 20" Power Ride, Zil-Bel, and a "C" Crotale. The K is pretty washy with a quick decay. I like it, and it seems to blend with my Avedis/A Custom cymbals. I liked the Paiste... until I played it side by side with my Avedis Medium Ride. The Paiste had no wash, no attack... nothing compared to my Zildjian. I had my wife come in and turn her back. She agreed, preferring the Zildjian.

The Zil-Bel was, in my opinion, useless and a waste of a cymbal stand. The crotale sits over a cymbal, and I do like it. It sounds a lot like a triangle, which is nice.

Anyway, I love the kit so far. I did try the Iron Cobra double bass pedal, but I don't care for it, and will probably sell it. Maybe try out a DW 9000 series single pedal. With some adjustment, I was moderately satisfied with the Pearl pedal.

Beautiful kit. I'll try to get the pictures tomorrow.

Back