Drinking and Drumming

I've never been the preachy type. I just know what works for me: No alcohol till after everything's packed and stowed. Usually the bar's closed by then. Sometimes I'll have a cold beer when I get home to relax.

I'm cool with whatever my bandmates do as long as it doesn't affect the gig or turn them into an a**hole.

Sorry, I have enough challenges playing without alcohol in my system. I don't need anything else working against me. That being said, I think on some gigs in the past I've had a beer while playing but it pretty much lasted me 3-4 hours at which time it wasn't worth drinking.

I might have a beer before or in between sets. I have listened to recordings and I hear no difference. Then again here people drink beer as a fitness drink also. There is a difference between enjoying a cold one and going for a buzz. What I will never drink before or during a gig is soda which just make for a very unpleasant experience. I prefer just water or like I said a beer.

For a bar gig, I feel no obligation to drink at all. I might have a beer or two before/as I play, but that's it. They are paying me, and people are paying to hear me. I feel it's irresponsible to make myself play at less than my best. It's just jam night that conflicts me.

Anyone else do bar jam nights? Do you drink there?

I think that's a good way to look at it. If you're getting paid, you should be 100 percent for the performance. If you're just doing it for fun, then you should be free to pursue fun completely. Showing up at a paid gig is like showing up to work and not many places allow you to drink on the job. Not even bartenders and wait staff are allowed to drink.

Plus I need all my meager wits about me to play. When I am paid to play, I just don't drink.

I have a beer or two while playing gigs where it is appropriate

never had a problem and get hired regularly

if you are going to pound 9 beers and do shots before your set or between sets you are basically an idiot

I think this is part of the root problem. You may feel relaxed and feel as if you are playing better, but research will prove this wrong. I no longer drink but did so at one time and understand what you are saying, but don't feel that drinking on the job is the proper thing to do. Other bar personnel where I'm from would be sacked for drinking while bartending or waiting tables.

Don't missunderstand me. Im' not alcoholic (joking). I really believe just a litle alcohol (depends from the person) is good before, makes you think faster, play more relaxed, also takes the stress away. At least it is working for me and i don't recomend it to anyone.
I meet many pro musicians who have to get drunk before they go to stage and as a drummer i know how big problem is that

Don't missunderstand me. Im' not alcoholic (joking). I really believe just a litle alcohol (depends from the person) is good before, makes you think faster, play more relaxed, also takes the stress away. At least it is working for me and i don't recomend it to anyone.
I meet many pro musicians who have to get drunk before they go to stage and as a drummer i know how big problem is that

Are you joking about not being an alcoholic?

I can definitely feel my playing slip when Ive had two or more in an hour.

I believe one beer or equivalent per hour is what a typical male can metabolise.

Times change, fashions change. In the 70s it was almost compulsory in the bar scene to get wasted before playing - the number of whacked out high profile performers I saw playing bars is legion. Not to mention low profile bands, including moi.

Some did it for the mind expanding aspect, for some it was ego - "I'm so good, I can still cut it hammered", some liked to party and others did it because they were hopeless alcoholics and junkies.

Times have changed and musicians seem more grounded and sensible today than in the past. Doesn't mean the music is any better, though. Tighter and more professional, but not better.

I believe Bonham used to improve by the pint judging by some Zep DVDs... I however, even after one drink I tend to forget whereabouts in a song I am and therefore go into the wrong section.

2 Ltr bottle of water works best for me.

I drink a beer before, and a beer during the show. Usually smoke a little. Nothing to excess. The last band I was in, The lead singer and the rhythm guitar player (his brother) drank copius (sp?) amounts during shows. I saw the effects it had.

My follow-up to the blog article.... I played a gig on New Years with the same band. Not a drop of alcohol until after our set. I definitely felt better, more in control, more "on it." I'm sticking to this! I know this isn't rocket science, but I know enough musicians who drink or otherwise get high during gigs that I thought it was worth bringing up..... Happy new year to all.

I never drink before I go to work. The same holds true for working shows with people who have put their life's work into landing these gigs. I have one solo artist who refers to gigs as "job sites".

Yep, they are just that to him because music is his living, period.

Even though alcohol is available for free, we never drink before working or during. The venue is hiring us to work not drink and act a foo. I will take my free bottle of wine after the show thank you.

One drink before first set, maybe one before the second. Same with public speaking - I do much better with exactly one drink in me.

I dont play out but I think one just calms the nerves, takes my mind off things (my sore foot or wrist or whatever the hell is wrong that day) and anyone who might be staring at me while I play so I can really open my ears and mind to the rest of the musicians. I get there either way but one drink seems to speed it along a bit I guess. Better living through chemistry....haha.

Occasionally one before, never on an empty stomach. Often one after. Rarely one at a break.

Booze and performing never worked for me. As a kid, I'd drink to be part of the party ... then I noticed how many "unforced errors" I was making. Concentration has always been an issue for me with items of little interest (some bands I played with had whole sets of little interest to me!) ... and the beers made my mind wander waaaaay too much.

After that realization, I've had at the most one drink. Usually I don't even have that. Water and a slice of lemon. Bubbly water if I'm feeling a bit crazy. ;-)

I'll gladly still join the party when I'm in the audience tho!

cheers,
radman

I limit myself to one bottle of beer during soundcheck. It's nice as I normally arrive at the venue feeling harassed and flustered. Carrying a cymbal bag, brass snare and bass drum pedal on rush hour underground trains is no walk in the park :D

Save the drinking for after the gig. So much more rewarding to have a cold pint waiting for you after an awesome set.

Yep, one beer before playing if no whiskey is around. I prefer a shot of small-batch bourbon whiskey. I'll have one in between sets also.

I'm not much of a drinker anymore so really that's all the drinking that I do for the most part, except for the occasional beer with a friend.

Never drink and drum ! Anything that will affect your perfomance is never a good idea !

Back