Hello, I'm new here :)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Hi, it's a bit scary to join a new forum and this is my first-ever drumming forum, but here goes.

I live in the UK and I've come to drumming relatively late in life: my husband bought me a kit as a surprise Christmas present two years ago, having no idea that it would spark a fully-fledged mid-life crisis!

Now here's where I'd like to tap into the forum wisdom and knowledge. I'm fairly competent in terms of technique (completed Grade 8 syllabus about 6 months ago) but I have very, very little experience or knowledge of music that has drum kit in it: until two years ago I really only listened to classical music, and I find that I often don't understand the sort of stuff most people listen to and play. If you don't quite get what I mean, think of listening to a foreign language: you can hear the sounds but they don't make any sense to you. That's how I often feel, as bizarre as it may seem.

My heroically tolerant teacher is gradually educating me (he introduced me to Led Zeppelin last month) but it's not an easy job as I'm pretty good at refusing to play anything I don't like! So can anybody point me in a direction that might be useful, pleasant and playable for a drummer of my standard? I'm not keen on Latin or very heavy rock, but I do rather like funk and jazz.

I'd be very appreciative of your ideas - thanks in advance :)

Can you give us an idea of other bands you like. Shooting in the dark as far as funk goes, you may enjoy some of the red hot chili peppers (Dani California, By The Way, Can't Stop, Suck my Kiss are some different styles of songs by them). Get the funk out by extreme is a personal favorite of mine, and fun to drum along with.

I do a couple of Chili Peppers, which seem to "fit" me - but there's no way on this earth I am ever playing a song called Suck My Kiss!! I'll check out some of the others you mention that I don't know, although it's possible I do know them but just haven't noticed them.

Umm, in terms of artists I like, there really aren't many, that's the nub of the problem I suppose. I love Jeff Buckley and I can struggle through a couple of songs, but most of his stuff is beyond my ability. I can, however, give you a huge list of what I don't like, topped by Pink Floyd (much to Mr Teacher's disappointment) and Michael Jackson.

Ok that gives a little bit better picture of the kind of music you like, the only bad news is that's not my personal style of music, so I can't be much help. My best advice to you would be to find a radio station or online playlist that plays music that you connect with, take note of the songs as they play, but more importantly the artist. Use this information to find other songs and albums by that artist. Once you start finding albums you can start researching artists similar to the one you like, or even do a google search for artists who have toured with the ones you have found, and check their music out as well.

Thank you, that makes sense :)

Hi, & a huge welcome to the forum. There's a good sized Brit contingent here, even though this is absolutely the biggest & best international drumming forum.

You nailed grade 8 inside 2 years from scratch? Wow! Big achievement right there. Sorry, unable to help on music choices, especially as Pink Floyd is top of your dislike list :( I must admit, on the surface, Floyd stuff isn't exactly challenging in the drumming department, but not so fast m'lady, some of it's actually difficult to nail. Sounds like you're entering the arena of "feel" post dots & classical structure. That, & working with other players is a hill climb much steeper than getting the technical elements down.

I wish you well, & I'm fascinated to hear how you progress in the widening of your repertoire, as there's elements of your background story that resonate with me.

Sounds like you're entering the arena of "feel" post dots & classical structure. That, & working with other players is a hill climb much steeper than getting the technical elements down.

Exactly this! I'm not sure it can be taught, as such, but it certainly has to be learned and you've articulated it better than I did.

I have tried with Pink Floyd, I really really have, but everything by them that I've ever heard (ok not all that much, just the Wish You Were Here album and that wretched Another Brick song that you can't avoid no matter how hard you try, and Money) has me reaching for the Off button faster than you can say paradiddle-diddle.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

I've done a bit of playing to classical, but I'm trying to break away from that genre really and become more appreciative of other types of music.

I have tried with Pink Floyd, I really really have, but everything by them that I've ever heard (ok not all that much, just the Wish You Were Here album and that wretched Another Brick song that you can't avoid no matter how hard you try, and Money) has me reaching for the Off button faster than you can say paradiddle-diddle.
Really, there's little point in banging your head against a brick in the wall ;) Playing songs that resonate with you is absolutely the best way of augmenting dynamics & other feel elements. You have to "get it" yourself before you can even begin to transfer that to the instrument. Your teacher should know that too. It's by far the path of least resistance, as enjoyment is an essential part of achievement.

Good luck with your journey :)

Not being a Brit - someone has to explain to me what this Grade 8 thingy is. Is this like belts in karate?

Near enough, yes! They're music exams. I didn't take the exams - faaar too old to be putting myself through that sort of thing - we just covered the syllabus. You have to do rudiments at required tempos, set pieces, both solo and accompanied, and music theory.

And then you start to learn how to play properly ;)

I do a couple of Chili Peppers, which seem to "fit" me - but there's no way on this earth I am ever playing a song called Suck My Kiss!!
So "Californication" is no-go then? : )
Seriously though, you're missing out on one of RHCP's best songs to drum along to IMO.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

So "Californication" is no-go then? : )
Seriously though, you're missing out on one of RHCP's best songs to drum along to IMO.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Hahaha I do Californication, and I know you're right about The Other One, I've heard the drum part without the song and I thought it was brilliant, but ... ugh! Queasy!!

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm already liking it here.

Hahaha I do Californication, and I know you're right about The Other One, I've heard the drum part without the song and I thought it was brilliant, but ... ugh! Queasy!!

The lyrics are pretty tame by today's standards but then again you've already gone from exclusively classical to RHCP. Baby steps...

If you really dislike lyrics in a song (or they start driving you crazy during a long practice session you can always jam out to karaoke versions of songs. Suck my kiss is one of my all time favorite tunes to play with my bass player so I'm also a little biased here.

If you really dislike lyrics in a song (or they start driving you crazy during a long practice session you can always jam out to karaoke versions of songs. Suck my kiss is one of my all time favorite tunes to play with my bass player so I'm also a little biased here.

That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

My heroically tolerant teacher is gradually educating me (he introduced me to Led Zeppelin last month)

Um, most everyone on this planet were introduced to Led Zep and Bonham at age, what, about 2 or 3? Just kidding.... You have some catching up to do. Don't worry we're all nice here and we've all been where you are. Good luck and most importantly have fun.

I've done a bit of playing to classical, but I'm trying to break away from that genre .....
Just bring in other songs that you listen to. Whatever makes you smile. Songs you listen to in the car. Songs on your iPod.​
If you like funk .... search out some Cool And The Gang, or James Brown, some Graham Central Station, Commodores, Sly and the Family Stone.​
Non-heavy rock. Maybe try some Creedence Clearwater Revival.​

Back