2012 ClubDate Update (Tom Mount Swap)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I like rail mounts but I never liked the rail mount that came with my 2012 ClubDate kit.
I didn't like its location or its configuration.
I swapped it out with a classic Ludwig telescoping style single tom mount.
Much Better!
This is my go to gig kit and the telescoping mount will make setup/teardown much easier.
Just pull the memory lock equipped tube out of the receiver or slide it into the receiver depending on whether you are coming or going.
I also switched the stock front head with a Smooth White Ludwig USA logo head and I installed an Evans EQ pillow inside.
I really like this kit. The snare has become one of my favs.
You don't always have to pay a lot to get a lot. The 2012 ClubDate kits are proof of that.

Attachments

• 10418543_10202128797293695_7860081313732591372_n.jpg
    10418543_10202128797293695_7860081313732591372_n.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 812
  • 10489773_10202128799133741_9073238208683922114_n.jpg
    10489773_10202128799133741_9073238208683922114_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 707
Haa, yes I am a neat freak. If your home consist of only two rooms it isn't hard :)
How many kitchens do you know of that have multiple drum kits set up in them at all times?

Hey Bob nice. I was never a fan of the rail console, don't even know why. Give me a center post any day. Ludwig's latest hardware is a home run. I want to get one of those things that clamp on the L rods to hold a splash.

Also, I just picked up on the fact that you passed the 10 grand post mark. Congratulations Bob.

I didn't even realize that I had passed 10 g's
Thanks for pointing that out Lar.
Cretan rail mounts I like. I like the drum workshop rail. I have installed one on my 65 Slingerland kit.
I like to be able to install any mount that I use myself because I place it exactly where I want it on the bass drum.

I like rail mounts but I never liked the rail mount that came with my 2012 ClubDate kit.
I didn't like its location or its configuration.
I swapped it out with a classic Ludwig telescoping style single tom mount.
Much Better!
This is my go to gig kit and the telescoping mount will make setup/teardown much easier.
Just pull the memory lock equipped tube out of the receiver or slide it into the receiver depending on whether you are coming or going.
I also switched the stock front head with a Smooth White Ludwig USA logo head and I installed an Evans EQ pillow inside.
I really like this kit. The snare has become one of my favs.
You don't always have to pay a lot to get a lot. The 2012 ClubDate kits are proof of that.
Bob, that telescoping mount looks great and what I'd be interested in also on my Club Date, since I find the stock rail and tom angles inadequate and unwieldy. Love the kit but don't like the hardware. I just swapped the snare strainer to a $30 DW strainer that is rock solid and more tunable compared to the Ludwig strainer's tension range (the DW fit just fine).
Did you have to drill a hole in the bass drum shell to fit in the telescoping mount once you removed the rail? If so, can you provide any details of how you accomplished this switch?

Bob, that telescoping mount looks great and what I'd be interested in also on my Club Date, since I find the stock rail and tom angles inadequate and unwieldy. Love the kit but don't like the hardware. I just swapped the snare strainer to a $30 DW strainer that is rock solid and more tunable compared to the Ludwig strainer's tension range (the DW fit just fine).
Did you have to drill a hole in the bass drum shell to fit in the telescoping mount once you removed the rail? If so, can you provide any details of how you accomplished this switch?
I ordered a Ludwig P610D Bass drum mount and a Ludwig LR255STH Rocker tom mount with a 9.5mm L-Rod from two different e-Bay stores.
I removed the heads from the bass drum.
I removed the rail mount and I filled the 4 holes from the rail mount with Task # 19250 Automotive Body Trim Panel Clips White. (they also come in black)
I unscrewed the badge from the bass drum because it was in the location where I wanted the new mount.
I positioned the gasket for the mount on the drum as a template where I wanted it and I traced the large hole in the gasket with a sharpie. I used a center punch to mark the 4 satellite mount holes. I drew an X across the center of the large hole that I had traced and I used a center punch to dimple for drilling. I used a hole saw to drill a 1 3/4" hole in the drum. I then drilled four 7/32" holes in the drum shell to bolt the mount. I bolted the mount to the drum shell. I reinstalled the heads. I relocated the badge to the front of the vent hole.

Last edited:
I ordered a Ludwig P610D Bass drum mount and a Ludwig LR255STH Rocker tom mount with a 9.5mm L-Rod from two different e-Bay stores.
I removed the heads from the bass drum.
I removed the rail mount and I filled the 4 holes from the rail mount with Task # 19250 Automotive Body Trim Panel Clips White. (they also come in black)
I unscrewed the badge from the bass drum because it was in the location where I wanted the new mount.
I positioned the gasket for the mount on the drum as a template where I wanted it and I traced the large hole in the gasket with a sharpie. I used a center punch to mark the 4 satellite mount holes. I drew an X across the center of the large hole that I had traced and I used a center punch to dimple for drilling. I used a hole saw to drill a 1 3/4" hole in the drum. I then drilled four 7/32" holes in the drum shell to bolt the mount. I bolted the mount to the drum shell. I reinstalled the heads. I relocated the badge to the front of the vent hole.
Wow- quite a job and a masterpiece to accomplish all that. The bass drum looked as if it came just like that. I have a friend who's handy with your type of work and will discuss if he's comfortable trying all that. Otherwise, I might consider modifying with another brand rail, as you did on your Slingerland.

Wow- quite a job and a masterpiece to accomplish all that. The bass drum looked as if it came just like that. I have a friend who's handy with your type of work and will discuss if he's comfortable trying all that. Otherwise, I might consider modifying with another brand rail, as you did on your Slingerland.
It sounds much more complicated than it is. The job took me little time to complete with basic tools.

Nice job there Bob!
I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. I'm considering the Steve Maxwell rail assembly.
Just something that folds down better, as the stock rail/ tom arm is a travesty.
Neal

Nice job there Bob!
I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. I'm considering the Steve Maxwell rail assembly.
Just something that folds down better, as the stock rail/ tom arm is a travesty.
Neal
Thanks, the Maxwell rail mount is my second choice to the dw rail mount.
In this case I liked the post mount because it is classic Ludwig.
I would have used the Atlas Arch if this drum wasn't center lug.
Bermuda installed a Ludwig post mount like mine on his new Ludwig Signet kit.
That is what gave me the idea to use it on mine.
As you can see Jon uses a double tom mount. He mounted his rail in the center of the drum so that if he uses two toms he can put them closer together.
Placement of your mount is important. I set my mount off center and nearer the drummer because I only use one tom and I want it to be as far to the left as possible.

Attachments

• sig_studio.jpg
    sig_studio.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 905
Last edited:
Wow that is a really nice job. Looks like it came that way.

My local drum shop has a club date se jazzette ( 18-12-14) in WMP. he wants $650 for it, it is used , but in very good condition.
I would rather have the 20" kick though for the classic rock that we play. I also understand that the stock rail mount does not fold, so it must be removed to fit the drum into a bag or case-seems like a pain to gig with-what was Ludwig thinking there??

Please elaborate on the cymbal mounts you added to the kick-did you have to drill and bolt on, or does the one closest to you clip to the bass drum rim?

I have heard the new CD sound really good , and you certainly have yours set up the way you want it.

Please elaborate on the cymbal mounts you added to the kick-did you have to drill and bolt on, or does the one closest to you clip to the bass drum rim?
Thanks ron, I added two Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mounts for my ride and splash. The hoop mount is a dw clamp on mount for my cowbell.
I was going for the lightest kit possible for gigging. These drums are light in weight because of the thin hoops and the center lugs. The hardware that I use is also light. This kit is a joy to lug around.

Good job, Bob. I love the way it looks and I'm sure it's way more convenient than the rail. How do those plastic caps stay in place? Is there a nut on the other side?

Good job, Bob. I love the way it looks and I'm sure it's way more convenient than the rail. How do those plastic caps stay in place? Is there a nut on the other side?
Thanks drumdevil9, The plastic fasteners just push into the holes and lock in place with ridges. I trim the excess off with cutting pliers inside of the drum. You can color them to match your drum if you need to.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 432
Here is another option from Ludwig for 2012 CD rail mount replacement. This is a better Ludwig rail mount than the one that came with the 2012 ClubDate kit. I am not sure if the hole pattern is the same or not. Perhaps someone out there knows. I believe that the rails are the same diameter so this mount will clamp onto the stock 2012 CD rail. http://www.interstatemusic.com/33157-Ludwig-Sliding-Rail-Tom-Mount-9-5mm-LR2983MT.aspx

Attachments

• Products33157-635x575-1954275.jpg
    Products33157-635x575-1954275.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
That one is way better due to the height adjustment which the Club Date rail lacks. Though I solved that problem another way, this looks like a good replacement.

You can easily remove the L-Rod for transport. That is the main advantage of that mount.

Back