Frustrated with my playing.

AgainstTheGrain

Hey everyone!
I've been playing on and off since 12 years of age. (The last two years have only been serious, I'm 17 y/o.)
I'm VERY frustrated with my playing at the moment. I play metal / rock, but I'm at this point where I just don't know where to go with my playing. Lessons are not an option at the moment, and the only thing I can bring myself to practice nowadays are blastbeats and double bass stuff. I want to get into Jazz - I have the basics down, but that's pretty much it.
I bought a book called ''The Art of Modern Jazz Drumming'' by Charlie Perry, but I don't know how to approach the exercises in a practical way. Every time I sit at my kit I find myself screwing around and never getting any focused practice time in. I just feel like my playing isn't going in any direction! Help!

Since it seems to be a matter of self-control, it's up to you to solve the problem. Just commit yourself to it, and don't let your mind wander off too much while trying to do what the book is teaching you. Hope that helps a bit.

Also, if you want to add some meaning to your playing, start learning rudiments. I just started and its fun, I already started incorporating my doubles and diddles in ways i never thought i would.

It seems u lack motivation because u said when u sit at the kit you will just wander off. Is Jazz really for you or do you just want to play it because people say its great for drumming techniques and dynamics. Without motivation you cant really go far.

Look up some great Jazz songs that inspire you then u can feel the motivation to want to play that

It seems u lack motivation because u said when u sit at the kit you will just wander off. Is Jazz really for you or do you just want to play it because people say its great for drumming techniques and dynamics. Without motivation you cant really go far.

Look up some great Jazz songs that inspire you then u can feel the motivation to want to play that

Yeah, my band teacher at school ( He is also a drummer ) keeps telling me to learn Jazz, because it will open new doors and such. But I'm really not that into Jazz, at all...

Yeah, my band teacher at school ( He is also a drummer ) keeps telling me to learn Jazz, because it will open new doors and such. But I'm really not that into Jazz, at all...

My advice, play what you like.. You're supposed to enjoy music, and if you don't enjoy jazz, then don't play it. But i would definitely hit those rudiments up, i don't know why your band teacher didn't just tell you that instead of referring you to jazz music.

If you aren't interested in Jazz, I wouldn't do it. There are other styles, and playing drums is supposed to be about having fun.

Yep, if you're not into jazz, don't force it, that doesn't mean that you'll never learn it, a lot of drummers pick up an appreciation of jazz as they go along, so maybe at a later time you'll want to explore it more and it'll be easier to motivate yourself to do it.

I agree with the rudiment recommendation, start working with those, also check out linear playing, once you get a sick linear groove down, the whole concept can be highly addicting.

Yep, if you're not into jazz, don't force it, that doesn't mean that you'll never learn it, a lot of drummers pick up an appreciation of jazz as they go along, so maybe at a later time you'll want to explore it more and it'll be easier to motivate yourself to do it.

I agree with the rudiment recommendation, start working with those, also check out linear playing, once you get a sick linear groove down, the whole concept can be highly addicting.

Thanks for the advice!
I'm REALLY into Death Metal, though. It's not that I can't keep up with the tempos ( I metronome grind a lot ) It's the fills and patterns and stuff that I can't get.

At 17, I don't think you're alone. I think everyone goes through this. How about stop playing for a while and just listen to stuff? Really, if you sit at the drums and just screw around, then perhaps you just need a bit of a vacation to re-tune your mind into a direction you want to go in. Listen to what you like to listen to, listen to some stuff you would't normally listen to, but don't associate it with any type of goal, just listen and let everything else go. You might surprise yourself when you get back to your drumming.

So, am I and everyone else to assume that you have just been playing with yourself (excuse the pun) just practicing and practicing. Have you played live with other musicians in a band yet or not. Because if you have not and you have been playing as long as you say it may be time to take it to the next level and start getting a band together, even if just for fun. This of course assuming you are not in a band already. Practicing and playing live are two different animals all together and it could peak your interests once again.

I f you are in a band and just getting bored/frustrated don't worry about it, we all go through this stage. And I agree with everyone who said it, don't try to play jazz if that is not your thing and you really are not into that, this will really frustrate you even more. Give it time and don't rush it, but then again maybe drumming is not for you, this will be a true test if it was meant to be. If not, take up another instrument, get involved in the sound aspect, or find something else away from music for a while. Good luck...

What the others said is very true, listen and learn. When I was young, I too tried to force some jazz into myself. It did not work, not that I didn't learn from it, I did, but it was not used in a jazz context. Now, many decades later, I listen to some old jazz, and I get it, well some of the slower easier stuff anyhow, but I get it from a musical standpoint now, not a technical standpoint. Hopefully with experience you learn to play along with music, through the music not by adding your chops over top .

Hey everyone!
I've been playing on and off since 12 years of age. (The last two years have only been serious, I'm 17 y/o.)
I'm VERY frustrated with my playing at the moment. I play metal / rock, but I'm at this point where I just don't know where to go with my playing. Lessons are not an option at the moment, and the only thing I can bring myself to practice nowadays are blastbeats and double bass stuff. I want to get into Jazz - I have the basics down, but that's pretty much it.
I bought a book called ''The Art of Modern Jazz Drumming'' by Charlie Perry, but I don't know how to approach the exercises in a practical way. Every time I sit at my kit I find myself screwing around and never getting any focused practice time in. I just feel like my playing isn't going in any direction! Help!

Sometimes it good to just forget the drums, sat back and just listen to some good music, that will get you back on track. By the way everybody gets frustraded it's just part of being a creative person, hang in there.

Every time I sit at my kit I find myself screwing around and never getting any focused practice time in. I just feel like my playing isn't going in any direction! Help!

This is the issue. I've had this problem myself.

Pick one thing and work on it, day after day, and remember practicing means playing the stuff you aren't good at.

This is the issue. I've had this problem myself.

Pick one thing and work on it, day after day, and remember practicing means playing the stuff you aren't good at.

That's a good idea. I'll work on my foot technique, because that's my issue when working through songs with double bass, my ankles get very tired.

I don't know about not playing jazz, you probably should have somewhat of a background in most genres.

As for practicing, you need to really focus and concentrate when you play the exercises in the book. Even if you can only do it for 10 or 15 minutes, it's probably more productive than just messing around on the kit.

Back