New Drum Day - Yamaha DTX532K

KamaK

Platinum Member
DTX532K with Yamaha 7210A kick and 650A hat stand.

Showing off my new arrival. Ordered it on earlier this week so I could practice at night with the kids asleep.

EaKbnZm.jpg

Everything seems to be in good working order. Will put in time on cable-management and connecting to my iMac via USB later.

Having a blast this evening.

Nice! The 502 module is nice little thing.

I've always wondered about the RHH135 hi-hat - mechanically, how does it operate the open to close sounds for the hats? Is there a moving pot or something in the middle of the cymbal that the clutch attaches to or is there a separate controller that the cymbal sits on (like a Roland VH-11)?

I've always wondered about the RHH135 hi-hat - mechanically, how does it operate the open to close sounds for the hats?

If you count a 3" diameter plastic circlet as a bottom hat.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_r_2F1Lmg

Basically, the hat has a soft bumper on the bottom that rests against the small plastic stopper. When it separates, it's open. When it bumps and is held, it 'chicks'. When it bumps and opens, it splashes.

The things that took some getting used to:

1: There's not a lot of middle ground between open and closed.
2: You really need to hold it closed to avoid partial-open sounds from occasionally triggering.
3: When you want to open the hat, it needs to be cleanly and unconditionally open before the stick hits the top head. It cannot be cheated like a real hat.

In the "neat" category... The hat becomes a BD pedal when the "Metal" kit is selected. While the novelty only lasted 4 minutes for me, my neighbor seems to think this is the coolest innovation in percussion history.

You may want to check your hi hat calibration settings. That module should have around 5 different positions from open to close. Not bad for a beginner module, but not as smooth as a flagship module that has just about unlimited positions from open to close.

You may want to check your hi hat calibration settings. That module should have around 5 different positions from open to close. Not bad for a beginner module, but not as smooth as a flagship module that has just about unlimited positions from open to close.

Indeed. I have no doubt that there's 3 positions between 1 and 5. Getting my foot to accurately and intentionally play one of those three seems to be the issue.

I'll run through the calibration this evening and see if I can make progress.

...In the "neat" category... The hat becomes a BD pedal when the "Metal" kit is selected. While the novelty only lasted 4 minutes for me, my neighbor seems to think this is the coolest innovation in percussion history.

LOL!

Congrats on the new kit! Would love to see a video or something if you have the time.

Back