Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

deltdrum

I completely stole this idea from Reddit (user swimshoe) mostly because I wanted to see how it would play out in a different styled forum (they upvote posts to the top of the page, so you read the highest voted stuff first).

Just list your unpopular opinion, and then post WHY you believe that.

Keep it civil (if it can be done on Reddit it can be done here).

I completely stole this idea from Reddit (user swimshoe) mostly because I wanted to see how it would play out in a different styled forum (they upvote posts to the top of the page, so you read the highest voted stuff first).

Just list your unpopular opinion, and then post WHY you believe that.

Keep it civil (if it can be done on Reddit it can be done here).

Do you post on that /r/drums forum? I got banned there because I posted a link to a Dan Millman book and the mod outright canned me.

However I'm a mod over on /r/drumming and I would not ban _norm (/r/drums mod) even though he's earned a special number from me.

PS I'm /u/billraydrums

I'll start off with one that'll be fighting words for some of you:

I think Neil Peart is boring. He is technically impressive, but he lacks something... I really can't describe what.

I've tried countless albums and have constantly been turned off by his stuff.

Do you post on that /r/drums forum? I got banned there because I posted a link to a Dan Millman book and the mod outright canned me.

However I'm a mod over on /r/drumming and I would not ban _norm (/r/drums mod) even though he's earned a special number from me.

PS I'm /u/billraydrums

I occasionally post on r/drums. I lurk everyday though. I'd just rather read than post.

I do the same here. I just lack the commitment (and knowledge) to be a steady contributor.

I'll start off with one that'll be fighting words for some of you:

I think Neil Peart is boring. He is technically impressive, but he lacks something... I really can't describe what.

I've tried countless albums and have constantly been turned off by his stuff.
But he's the greatest drummer ever, blasphemy!

He's way too mechanical and rehearsed for my tastes. Practically ungroovy. I do like some Rush, though.

I've never liked Neil Peart and I've never been a fan of Steve Gadd. And just to top it off, I've also not been a fan of Dave Weckl's style.

Thelma to Louise:

"Let's drive over the cliff. It'll be fun!"

Why start this thread. If I don't like something I ignore it. If you cant say something nice, don't say anything.

My unpopular opinion IS saying something nice: I think Lars Ulrich is a fantastic drummer!

I dont think he practices as much as he probibly should, but his work on the early Metallica records is still some of my favorite drumming of all time.

Interesting about Peart. I have always been uncomfortable with his drumming style. I've come to the conclusion it's his shoulders and arms. They seem to hunch up and as I watch him I wonder how he can play that way. He does, obviously, so it's moot, but somehow he makes me uncomfortable watching him. He doesn't look relaxed. Makes me feel tense.

I, too, have wondered about the status Steve Gadd rose to. Excellent drummer. I just wonder what made him, as well as Peart, the icons they have become.

Of course, I suppose that could be asked of any drummer that has reached such status, by those who don't find their playing particularly thrilling.

I find Jazz boring. I recognize the skill required to play it and don't posses it, but it just seems like a bunch of guys playing different songs.

I find Jazz boring. I recognize the skill required to play it and don't posses it, but it just seems like a bunch of guys playing different songs.

HAHAHA this for me as well. It always sounds like 5 guys tuning their instruments at the same time.
Same goes for the Big Band crap Buddy Rich used to play..i just don't like it. a lot of hi-hat crap and then a loud rim shot here and there.

I don't understand a single damn thing about jazz

I can't play it

I seem to hit a brick wall when I listen to it

I can't join in any conversations about jazz

Yeah, to me its boring as well....based on my jealousy and ignorance

I don't understand a single damn thing about jazz

I can't play it

I seem to hit a brick wall when I listen to it

I can't join in any conversations about jazz

Yeah, to me its boring as well....based on my jealousy and ignorance

Is the dislike of jazz an unpopular opinion? Seems to me jazz isn't all that popular to begin with, and lots a of people feel that way about it. Or is this just another lets all rag on the outcasts thread?

I have lots of opinions about drumming.

How do I know which ones are unpopular ?

Is the dislike of jazz an unpopular opinion? Seems to me jazz isn't all that popular to begin with, and lots a of people feel that way about it. Or is this just another lets all rag on the outcasts thread?

I think that a musician not liking jazz seems a little unpopular nowadays on the web. It's like you have to start liking/playing jazz to "advance" to the next level of musicianship.

I'm glad to say that I have started liking/playing jazz, so I am now at the advanced stage. Sorry all you loser musicians aren't there yet.

PS - total joke

Sticks4Drums doesn't faze me in the least. I don't understand why people allow themselves to be engaged by him. The people who engage him are every bit as guilty of Glen when a rift surfaces. Not exactly a drumming opinion, but I'm pretty sure this is unpopular.

Back