I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Who doesn't love a hot blond with a lot of bottom?

It's that time of the month, I got a new kit. I actually traded up my Champagne Sparkle Classic Maple kit for this behemoth. They've got a huge sound and were obviously built to project...*very* thick shells. I need to figure out how to tune (and/or a new head combination) to warm them up a bit. The kick drum is a cannon...it's got "sperm-neutralizing punch". I believe they're late 70's or early 80's but perhaps LVDC or Bermuda can fill me in?

The lacquer is flaking off near the edges but I knew that ahead of time and got a great deal on eBay. I plan to sand the rest of it off and re-lacquer them soon. These will be my workhorse, gigging drums. Stay tuned next month to see the kit that *won't* leave the house! ;)

16"x22" BD
16"x16" FT
11"x12" TT
12"x13" TT (not using)
7"x13" Pork Pie Brass Patina Snare (details here)

Toms outfitted w/ Coated G2s over Clear G1s, EQ1 batter on kick w/ EMAD reso, and Genera Dry w/ Hazy 300 on the snare.

The cymbal setup I'm sportin' these days is:

21" HHX Groove Ride
13" Fierce Hats
17" HHX Evolution Crash
19" Fierce Crash
10" Paragon Splash
20" Paragon Chinese
7" Alu Bell

Attachments

• drums02.JPG
    drums02.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,835
  • drums09.JPG
    drums09.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 1,634
  • drums11.JPG
    drums11.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • drums14.JPG
    drums14.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • drums15.JPG
    drums15.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 1,279
Ah yes, some of my "favorite" drums...in my "favorite" finish. Love that Natural Maple. Thermo-gloss, is what Ludwig called it, I think. I'd venture to say "vintage 80's". Your B/O badges have the rounded corners. The Vistalites I special ordered in 1980 had the pointy corners. Virgin kick, gotta love that. Gotta love the whole kit, actually. Congrats.

I had a Sonor S Class in natural and a Phonic bass drum in natural. Very nice steal on those babies. Try Attack Drum Heads, 2 ply clear mediums with sustain ring, they will be warm and deep with lots of projection.

Man that kit is beautiful. I'm sure you will get lots of compliments in the future if these are gonna be your working drums. Have fun with these beauties.

Nice buy, but you know a 24" kick would have been perfect!

Can't wait to see your up and coming "house" kit.

Ah yes, some of my "favorite" drums...in my "favorite" finish. Love that Natural Maple. Thermo-gloss, is what Ludwig called it, I think. I'd venture to say "vintage 80's". Your B/O badges have the rounded corners. The Vistalites I special ordered in 1980 had the pointy corners. Virgin kick, gotta love that. Gotta love the whole kit, actually. Congrats.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the magical Mr. Conway - I knew you would know something about these drums. I figured the rounded corners on the badge would provide a hint...I didn't see any others, just pointy ones.

I love it too, thanks! It's amazing how cheap these kits are going on the 'bay.

Very nice! Almost looks like your champaign sparkle kit on HGH. They look beautiful and must sound huge. One thing: Your kick is screaming for a white head!

Ok so you dood it again, Vin! ( you're falling in the category of repeat offender )

Holy crap, that's IS beautiful..and that DOES look like a powerful kit. I love the specs on the 11"x12".

Like the way you have it configured it too.

Enjoy it while it last ; ).. ( would love to hear sound files of this baby )

Haha! Only a matter of time until the wise asses show up (though DMC got a jab in early). Abe - I'm incurable. There's only one thing that's gonna slow me down and it's on the way (I think?)

I might actually learn how to play if I stick w/ a single kit for more than a few months.

I'll try to do some sound-clips once I get them tuned in the somewhat uncrappy range. They sound OK but need some tweaks.

WOW! That kit is in amazing condition! Congrats on the buy. And the 13-16 combination is my favorite to use when using a 4 piece kit--very sonically compatible.

WOW! That kit is in amazing condition! Congrats on the buy. And the 13-16 combination is my favorite to use when using a 4 piece kit--very sonically compatible.

I thought about that but the 13" is another inch taller...and that 12" is already awkwardly crammed into place. I don't like it that far out in left-field. Maybe I'll throw the 13" down to the left of my hats?

So much power yet so little capacity to handle it!

Here's a clip of me awkwardly warming up on the kit tonight - snares off.

I'd like them to sustain a little more - the tone is good, I'm happy there. They're just not warm enough yet.

The kick actually sounds much bigger and fatter - I have the volume way too low on that mic, on this clip.

Attachments

• power tom thunda.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 352
Back