Changing Sticks

TheLonleyHawk

Hello fellow drummers,

I am in need of some advice. I have been playing a pair of Vic Firth 5A Hickory for a while now, going on a few years. I like them but I feel like I want to branch out; pun intended, and try something different. Mainly I would like to switch to a more rounded tip because I think it might help my rebound more. First of all, can I obtain better rebound with a rounded tip or do I improve my rebound using my fingers, hands and arms?
Secondly, if I do decide to change sticks, how long would you guys suggest playing and practicing with a new pair of sticks before going back to the 5A's?
Thirdly, would it be ok for me to play and practice with both? Because I've been told that if I were going to try out some new sticks that I would want to play them and only them for about 6 months. Any and all feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello fellow drummers,

I am in need of some advice. I have been playing a pair of Vic Firth 5A Hickory for a while now, going on a few years. I like them but I feel like I want to branch out; pun intended, and try something different. Mainly I would like to switch to a more rounded tip because I think it might help my rebound more. First of all, can I obtain better rebound with a rounded tip or do I improve my rebound using my fingers, hands and arms?
Secondly, if I do decide to change sticks, how long would you guys suggest playing and practicing with a new pair of sticks before going back to the 5A's?
Thirdly, would it be ok for me to play and practice with both? Because I've been told that if I were going to try out some new sticks that I would want to play them and only them for about 6 months. Any and all feedback from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Personally, I think that you would be able to get better rebound if you used a stick with a longer taper. I don't think the tip matters to much.

Thank you for replying Pyromaniac777. I never considered the length of the taper but I will. In accordance with my previous question, is there a certain amount of time that I should give the stick a chance? Like a cut off point?

I agree with Pyro, the taper will have a much bigger influence on rebound than tip shape.

There is no set time for trying out a stick. What I have found over many years of playing is that most any stick starts to feel "normal" after playing with it a while. So, try the new sticks until they don't really feel new anymore, and then switch back to see the difference.

In the long run, I feel that you should pick a stick weight, tip shape, and taper for the sound you want from your drums and cymbals, and let technique take care of the playing.

Back