Need Help w/ Screw on Floor Tom

I was loosening the screws on my floor tom to tune it, but one, only one, of the screws won't come out because the grooves where they stay in place are, well, gone. I need help getting it out so I can replace the grooves that keep it in place. Please explain how I can fix this.

Take the head off. Take off the lug from the inside that won't unscrew and get to it from the inside of the lug. The swivel nut could be held with pliers while you turn the lug with the drum key.

Here is a video that will help you.
http://youtu.be/bFAdRx2lJPQ
You need to buy a new tension rod and a swivel nut for your lug that is stripped.
If you can't get the tension rod out of the swivel nut then cut it with a hacksaw.

Last edited:

I tried these things you suggested, and it didn't work. Let me describe the problem better. The lug is in the swivel nut. The only problem is, is that the swivel nut turns as I try to loosen or tighten the tension screw. I could use a hacksaw and cut the tension rod in two, but I am not allowed to. I think it was a GREAT idea to use a hacksaw. I will replace the swivel nuts on my floor tom, but I need to get the tension screw off first. If there is any other ways to fix this, I will do so. Otherwise, I will have to use a hacksaw and replace the tension rod (Which I should do anyway) or get it fixed at a drum store. Please ways to fix this, other than what is already there.

You have to buy a new tension rod and a swivel not anyway so if you cut the tension rod you are not doing any harm. Once the tension rod is stripped into the swivel nut they are both ruined. If the lug casing is also damaged then you will have to buy a new lug casing too. It is all repairable for little cost.

Last edited:

I tried these things you suggested, and it didn't work. Let me describe the problem better. The tension rod is in the swivel nut. The only problem is, is that the swivel nut turns as I try to loosen or tighten the tension rod. I could use a hacksaw and cut the lug in two, but I am not allowed to. I think it was a GREAT idea to use a hacksaw. I will replace the swivel nuts on my floor tom, but I need to get the tension rod off first. If there is any other ways to fix this, I will do so. Otherwise, I will have to use a hacksaw and replace the tension rod (Which I should do anyway) or get it fixed at a drum store. Please ways to fix this, other than what is already there.

I don't understand what you mean by "you aren't allowed to." Are they not your drums or are you not allowed to use tools. The only way to part the two is to get serious. If the nut is turning on the screw, it should pull of easily. Good luck.

I suggested that you cut the tension rod and not the lug casing. You will then have to remove the lug casing from the drum shell. If the lug casing is damaged then you will will have to replace it along with the tension rod and the swivel nut. Sometimes a tension rod can become stripped in a swivel nut in a way that it won't unscrew. when this happens the only thing that you can do is what we have suggested in earlier posts. I am an automotive technician by trade, I know what I am talking about. Your drum can be repaired easily with just a few inexpensive parts. A local music shop can repair your drum for little parts and labor cost if you can't do it yourself.
What brand and model drum do you have? Post a picture so that we can see the style of lug casing that is on your drum.

Last edited:
If you can get off the other lug screws, and you can get off the opposite head, remove all the screws that work right, unscrew the misbehaving lug from the shell, remove the hoop with the "bad" lug attached, then you can probably access the swivel nut well enough to grip it with pliers or stake it temporarily in place long enough to remove the screw.

Back