Playing 15 years, terrible stick control

maxwhineberg

I'm a good 35 year old rock drummer and I'm solid and have great timing and I've done many recordings and I get asked to join bands all the time.... but my stick control sucks.

I never properly learned Basic Rudiments or Stick Control when I started playing at 20. I went straight for playing with bands and never looked back. I regret it, had all the time in the world when I was young, Now I'm a busy working Dad with 3 boys.

I've tried off-and-on over the years to sit with a practice pad and teach myself rudiments but it always sounds sloppy and terrible so I give up...Plus I've always questioned my fulcrum and technique when trying rudiments, seems like so many different drummers have different fulcrums they swear by on YouTube or in Books.

I guess it's a stupid question to ask "how should I hold my stick" because I should do what's comfy or what works for me, but everything at this point seems 'beginner' for me with this so I'm open to ideas.

When I go for fast 32 note rolls around the toms, it's sloppy and all wrist. Probably not the right way to do it. When I try to do a double stroke, it feels natural to have a light hold some space open between my index and thumb, not pinched or closed but I would never try and roll around the kit holding the sticks like that because I don't feel any power in that.

I can't help with your problem, I'd say I'm in the exact same position as you though. So I'm looking forward to see what responses you get. I also wanted to say, love the user name. I laughed.

Starting all over again like a new drummer probably won't work for you.

I think you need to find a good drum teacher and have him or her evaluate how you play.

And hopefully you and the teacher can discover and utilize those things that you do right and add some techniques that will help you play better.

We can't properly evaluate how you play the drums here on the internet.
If I were your teacher I could show you how to use rudiments in your everyday playing.

Without seeing your hands, it’s hard to give specific advice - but revamping your grip will probably help. It might feel like starting over, but I’ve seen players make the adjustments pretty quickly and easily.

Starting all over again like a new drummer probably won't work for you.

Believe it or not, that's how I approach every student who comes to me, and they come to me ready to do just that. Pretty much every problem drummers have comes right down to some fundamental issue. Starting from the very top is the most effective way to reprogram where necessary. You can actually see the process pretty clearly in my "Extreme Hands Makeover Plan" on www.drumworkout.com.

To get a better feel for stick control in depth, try watching some of Bill Bachman's free videos on YouTube. Bill is a world class instructor and has an incredibly user friendly and easy to follow web site for developing hand control (for both beginners and advanced) called Drum Workout.com. When it was offered for a free 3 week trial, I jumped in and kept as much material on hand to use it over and over. I've noticed improvements, which will keep developing as you continue with his material.
Like studying Stick Control with George Stone in person- perhaps?

Bill is as good a teacher as you might find on the internet- you won't regret checking him out.

To get a better feel for stick control in depth, try watching some of Bill Bachman's free videos on YouTube. Bill is a world class instructor and has an incredibly user friendly and easy to follow web site for developing hand control (for both beginners and advanced) called Drum Workout.com. When it was offered for a free 3 week trial, I jumped in and kept as much material on hand to use it over and over. I've noticed improvements, which will keep developing as you continue with his material.
Like studying Stick Control with George Stone in person- perhaps?

Bill is as good a teacher as you might find on the internet- you won't regret checking him out.

+1 for Bill Bachman. He's the man. Incredible knowledge on body mechanics and the stix......

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, the Bachman site looks cool.

i'll be sure to check it out further

I agree, I've seen Dave Weckl vids where he shows the "old" way he used to hold the stick compared to the "new" way and
he's amazing at both. Probably didn't take him long to switch over LOL

Hi Fella,

Im only 9 months into my drumming, started at 41, in but work on my stick control a lot. Starting late in life probably has given me the patience to do all that boring rudiment stuff. I like you have looked all over Youtube and tried every different type of grip recommended but I've had 2 teachers and they both tell me the same, palms down for control, and the control comes from the wrist. I sit there watching TV doing left hand leads, flams, accents, etc etc and it has paid off for me with regards to stick control. I also do a lot of left hand work whilst driving, handy if you drive in the UK. The grip I use is the same one that guy from drums the word shows.

I only posted as im still at that beginner stage and going through that kind of stuff. Sometimes you just gotta go back to basics for a bit but im sure you'll pick it up quicker than me given your time playing.

Paul

After 16 years of playing I had to restart from scratch to fix my technique. Actually, all students of Murray Spivack had to do the same, such as David Garibaldi.

Now if you feel frustrated, imagine Garibaldi starting from scratch where he was already a monster back then.

If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes

I'm a good 35 year old rock drummer and I'm solid and have great timing and I've done many recordings and I get asked to join bands all the time.... but my stick control sucks.

It sounds like you are doing your job as far as drumming goes. Technique can serve in a lot of ways. It can help bring out a better tone, and play with less effort. Good technique can prevent injury,and give you more control of your playing and dynamics. The word technique sometimes seems to be all about chops and speed. Technique is a means with no end. I would get some lessons, and go from there. You are getting work because you are doing the right thing,but there is nothing wrong at all learning some new skills

Back