So I grew out of my Travis Barker stage..

fmass92

Like a lot of kids my age, I originally set up my kit just like Travis Barker's when I first started playing. Now, a year later, I've finally decided to switch it up a little bit and do whats most comfortable for me, and disregarding if it "looks cool" or not.

Specs:
Yamaha Stage Custom - Dark Metallic Blue
24x17, 16x16, 12x9, 14x6 1/2

Zildjian Cymbals:
14" A Custom Mastersound hihats
18" & 19" A Custom Crash
22" A Custom Ping Ride (not in the "before" pics)
21" A Series Sweet Ride (brilliant)
18" Oriental China Trash

Some pics...

Before:

Picture008.jpg

5-25-10.jpg

After:

7-09-10.jpg

7-09-10b.jpg

What mostly changed was I tilted my tom and cymbals towards me and instead of tilting my snare away from me, it's now flat. I also lowered the hats and ride a little bit and switched out my Sweet Ride for the Ping Ride (to get a better ride sound) and put the Sweet Ride to the side and I use it for just crashing. I also moved the crashes and ride in more and closer to me.

It took a little getting used to over the past 2 days, but I think I'm gonna like it a lot better this way. I can get a few extra sounds from the drums/cymbals and I can move around the kit a little faster. =)

Last edited:
Pretty subtle changes there. One thing you may want to consider trying is lowering your cymbals. You'd be amazed at the level of control you can have over them when you not having to reach so far to play them.

I generally keep mine as low as possible, just before they hit my drums or other cymbals when the swing. I'm the master of my kit, and for it to do my bidding it must be below me, physically, not visa versa.

That kit still looks physically painful to play to me!

Agreed with adam about lower the cymbals, it crazy how much difference height can make.

love you're kit, how are the Mastersounds?

-Jonathan

Back