Drum Solo's - disappointed

Colorado_scott

I've been out of drumming for 20+ years, and was "OK" in my time, but never great - left hand issues for sure.. but what I recalled about drum solos within songs is that, the good ones (the ones I liked), kept with the rhythm of song. What happened to this? I've listened to many generic solos in the past days and frankly, it's 'how fast can I move my hands and how many heads can I hit while doing a roll - or can I keep all symbols moving while doing some roll with my double bass drum". I would say all that I have listened to, perhaps 20, are 'more of the same'.. and I get tired of hearing it after 3-4. These drummers are no doubt, 'great' but I like a Tempo or beat I can follow that has fills to make it interesting. Listen to a nice guitar solo, like Lindsey Buckingham for instance, I never tire of it - never. It's not 'behind the back, playing as fast as you can", or picking with his teeth, just cause "I can do it".. you can follow it rhythmically and to me, it's great! I appreciate drum solo's that are similar.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but I'd of hoped to see more drum solos that were not - play as fast as you can, and more finesse.

Suppose I'm an Old School Guy.

Scott

There's a reason that so many people get up and go to grab a beverage during drum solos. They are meant to entertain, yet many times don't; they should say something unique and intriguing, but many (most) times don't; the drumset is a rhythmic instrument primarily but many solos are arhythmic or monorhythmic.

A solo should, in my mind, be a showcase of what makes a drumset and a drummer special, in a way that makes it impossible to look away. This does not mean over-the-top pyrotechnics, or flipping upside down necessarily.

A sense of humor is always good, too. I have always loved Bermuda's drum solos with Al, for instance.

To me, this all comes down to the imagination of the drummer(s).

Personnally, I don't need to see someone terrorizinng a 500 piece kit for 15 minutes at 600 BPM while being rotated at 33 1/3 RPMs. No question doing so takes a high level of skill but also has little to do with music and flow.

I like Keith carlock's apporach where the emphasis is on groove and flow and less so on blistering speed.

I also enjoy good drum battles where theree is give and take and contrast along with the "competition". For example, check out Pat Mastelotto and Tobias Ralph having it out on "Thrak" or "Indiscipline" for fireworks and stunning drumcraft.

I'm right with you on this.
The modern take on drum solos is faster, louder, crazier! The only solos I play are Wipe out and Dance With The Devil not really solos in my opinion just songs where you feature as the lead. Most solos even from the worlds greatest bore my within minutes, I have no right to criticize as they have more talent in one finger than I ever will. Leave all the blasting around the kit at lightning speed for the big finish. Use all that fantastic talent to show us your rhythmic instincts.

As a drummer, I'm supposed to like drum solos. It's rare for me to be entertained by a solo, but done just right, they're a thing of beauty. I think my generally jaded view of solos truly stems from the fact that I'm absolutely crap at them though TBH.

Travis Barker plays his solos up-side-down. Maybe that's what you're missing?

I could watch this guy for hours. He put on a complete SHOW! It is still a bit of a chopsfest, but very well don't IMHO.

I still can't believe he didn't win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYApFUxWzuQ

See, I think this is an example of what the OP (and myself) don't really like about drum solos. I respect his chops, creativity, and showmanship, but apart from the section on the Octopad, it just wasn't very musical to my ears.

Sacrilege, I know, but count me among drummers who don't really love most drum solos.

I wasn't always that way. I used to be smitten with the chops and showiness. But these days, I want to hear music, first and foremost.

I think it's important (or maybe not) to remember that most drum solos aren't intended for other drummers. We have an elitist perspective, and it takes way more to impress us than it does for the general public.

For us, good playing, solo or not, comes from the drummer's drummers. Which are far and few between.

I think it's important (or maybe not) to remember that most drum solos aren't intended for other drummers. We have an elitist perspective, and it takes way more to impress us than it does for the general public.

For us, good playing, solo or not, comes from the drummer's drummers. Which are far and few between.

Maybe we are a bit elitist, but I have not seen real favorable reactions to drum solos from non-drummers, either. And it doesn't seem to depend on the skill of the drummer at all.

Just last night I was at an open jam where there were two fairly short drum solos. One was a Bo Diddly-type tom thing that wasn't too impressive as far as a skill demonstration, but it kept a steady beat and people kept dancing and clapped a lot when it was over.

The other was a much flashier, more technically challenging and proficient solo that cleared the dance floor like a stink bomb.

I guess the upside is, the bar sold more drinks during that solo.

This all reminds me of a joke. How is a drum solo like a sneeze? You know they're coming, but you can't do a thing about it. Buh DOP boom.

I've been out of drumming for 20+ years, and was "OK" in my time, but never great - left hand issues for sure.. but what I recalled about drum solos within songs is that, the good ones (the ones I liked), kept with the rhythm of song. What happened to this? I've listened to many generic solos in the past days and frankly, it's 'how fast can I move my hands and how many heads can I hit while doing a roll - or can I keep all symbols moving while doing some roll with my double bass drum". I would say all that I have listened to, perhaps 20, are 'more of the same'.. and I get tired of hearing it after 3-4. These drummers are no doubt, 'great' but I like a Tempo or beat I can follow that has fills to make it interesting. Listen to a nice guitar solo, like Lindsey Buckingham for instance, I never tire of it - never. It's not 'behind the back, playing as fast as you can", or picking with his teeth, just cause "I can do it".. you can follow it rhythmically and to me, it's great! I appreciate drum solo's that are similar.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but I'd of hoped to see more drum solos that were not - play as fast as you can, and more finesse.

Suppose I'm an Old School Guy.

Scott

Many drummers of the "old school" (Louie Bellson, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa etc...) were just as guilty for blowing mindless "showbiz" chops. Maybe check out some drummers that can actually play musical solos: Keith Carlock, Benny Greb, Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Brian Blade, Bill Stewart, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Max Roach, Art Blakey...

The moment the definition moves from "song" to "solo" things degrade.

The song may be just me and my drumset...but the difference between "song" and "solo" seem obvious to me.

I think drummers are taught to not view what they do as music...so we are tortured with technical exercises when not accompanied by other instruments....more of a high wire act than music.

Incredible musicianship between band mates will beat the pants out of any individual solo, any day, of any week, ever.

One of my favorites (major band wise) is Red Hot Chili Peppers, I swear the chemistry between that band, especially Flea and Chad, is what causes love, that causes whales to hump in the ocean, that causes waves, for surfers to love and enjoy. It's just a big circle.

I much prefer the drummer take a solo with the bands backing. The drum solos taken without the band though occasionally entertaining often loose any musical quality. There's no reason a drummer can't take a solo during a tune just like any other instrument, with the backing of the rest of the band. The drummer is there to back them all night, so they can return the favor.

I'm not remotely good enough to post a solo of my own concoction. I do post solo pieces that I have worked out via a transcript. Within my posts there's always improvisation of time before and after the piece. To each their own though.... if solos are your thing, then go wild.

Back