Sonor Snares?

KlarkKent

I am looking for a good snare with a crisp, tight, articulate sound. I've read a lot of posts saying Ludwig Black Beauties rock--would that be good, or too loud for small gigs?

I like Garibaldi's sound on Tower of Power stuff. However, I had a guy at a music shop tell me the other day that Sonor snares are some of the best out there. What do you all think of Sonor snares? This guy also recommended Pork Pie snares as the next best option if I found Sonor too expensive.

I play some rock but am getting into funk and jazz.

Thoughts?

The Sonors are great but WILL be expensive.

Do you need the absolute best snare? In my opinion, the Pork Pies dont rate next to the Sonors, but then again, if a relatively cheap Black Panther snare gives you the sound youre after, anything more expensive than that is wasted money.

Speaking from experience, Sonor drums, hands-down, are incredible... construction and finish, sound, everything.

Sonor S-Class Pro snare for sale

that link will take you to an Ebay auction for the exact same snare that came with my kit (minus the die-cast hoops).

This thing will do WHATEVER you want! It can be loose and boomy...tight and ringy...loud and crisp, ALWAYS. The only thing i'd suggest doing, of course, would be changing out the stock heads to a coated Ambassador / snare side. This drum's sound rivals that of a top-end Artist-Series drum, for a quarter of the price!

Thanks for the replies, guys. No, I don't need the absolute best snare--I just want a really good sounding, crisp, tight, articulate snare, you know? Nothing too loud or that rings or that is boomy. I'm trying to get into more jazzy/funk stuff, so I'm trying to get away from a rock sound.

Yeah, when I looked up Sonor Delite snares I found that they start at $800! Damo, you said you didn't think Pork Pie would rank behind Sonor if the Sonor was too expensive. What do you think are other good alternatives?

Pork Pie Big Brass ( BoB ) 6 1/2 x 14 ; Chad Smith Signature Snare. Both are good snare drums that will do what you're looking for and either will run you approx. 220 - 250 dollars.

KlarkKent, the sound youre after is achievable with just about any decent snare, and is probably best obtained through tuning and head selection, rather than a particular size/shell material.

There is no doubt that a higher quality snare drum will give you better articulation, but it will also give you more volume.

I would suggest maybe looking at something like a 13x5-13x7. The smaller diameter will tighten the overall tone, but the shell depth will still allow for some body. Such sized snares are available in many different brands, including the ones that you listed, but the ones with thicker shells will benefit from higher tuning.

As a starting point, check out this snare first. Quite expensive, but coul;d be just what you want.

http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/...d=264&a-quicklink-n_artikelid=2977&ukpb-id=nc

Good Luck!

This is probably not the best suggestion; just an idea.

Why not go for a 12" x 5"?

It's already been said that you could get close to the sound you're after with the right head selection and tuning.

I would recommend that you go for a depth around 5", as that's where the articulation is in the snare response department.

This is probably not the best suggestion; just an idea.

Why not go for a 12" x 5"?

It's already been said that you could get close to the sound you're after with the right head selection and tuning.

I would recommend that you go for a depth around 5", as that's where the articulation is in the snare response department.

The last post on this thread was 3 years ago ;)

Ludwig Supraphonics 5x14 or 6 1/2x14 or Black Beautys are ledgendary for a reason.Ask ask any pro and they will tell you they have at least one of those drums in thier arsenal.The 5x14 is the most recorded snare drum in history....period.Sonor makes great drums...but when nothing but the best will do....go Ludwig metal.And don't overlook the Acrolite...same shell as the Supra,different finish,and usually only 8 lugs instead of 10.

Steve B

Back