Charlie Watts Quits the Stones

bonzolead

Platinum Member
I just found out Mr. Watts has quit the Rolling Stones I know he & Jagger had run-ins in the past but it's still kinda of a shock I know he's not the most technical drummer but that is what's cool about him a great in the pocket drummer kinda like Nick Mason from Pink Floyd.

I always liked him no matter who they get it won't. be the same. I'm sure he don't. need the money he probably just wants too chill.

Just figured everybody would want too know.

Bonzolead

I just found out Mr. Watts has quit the Rolling Stones I know he & Jagger had run-ins in the past but it's still kinda of a shock I know he's not the most technical drummer but that is what's cool about him a great in the pocket drummer kinda like Nick Mason from Pink Floyd.

I always liked him no matter who they get it won't. be the same. I'm sure he don't. need the money he probably just wants too chill.

Just figured everybody would want too know.

Bonzolead

Sorry to hear that. Watts is much like Ringo Starr, just not as overrated.

Charlie Watts has "sat out" from recording and tours many times. It seems strange that he would quit rather than just not participate like he's done before.

Any insight as to why?

I love Ringo & Charlie rock drumming owes a lot to them IMO
the Rolling Stones of today always look like Charlie being the funeral director and the rest of the band being the walking dead LOL it's just a joke I love the Stones and always will Charlie is probably just going to play jazz from now his first true love.

Bonzolead

I stand corrected WCSX must be owned by FOX LOL i'm glad it isn't. true

how embarrassing last time I ever believe them.

my bad just act like it never happened LOL

BL

A classic rock station WCSX here in Detroit there pretty reliable not like FOX, MFB should appreciate that LOL.

Bonzolead

With a little bit of digging, I have also found other sources of this story. Bummer. I hope these are all false.

GJS

So glad to know that it is not true.

Charley is my guy!.. the ghost notes.... simplicity... making millions being with the stones... very respected family man..... doesnt care what anyone says.... has a strong personality... never show off with cheap antics.

Thank goodness its not true.
he's the only man for the Stones gig :)

Ringo? Overrated? Not on your life!

"Ringo has nearly perfect tempo. This allowed the Beatles to record a song twenty-five times, and then be able to edit together different parts of
numerous takes for the best possible version. Today click tracks are used for the same purpose, but the Beatles had to depend on Ringo to keep the tempo consistent throughout the dozens of takes. Had he not had this ability, the Beatles recordings would sound completely different. His perfect time and good feel give Beatles tunes an "ageless" quality.

In most recording sessions the drummer's performance acts as a barometer for the rest of the musicians. The stylistic direction, dynamics, and emotions are filtered through the drummer. He is the catcher to whom the pitcher/songwriter is throwing. If the drumming doesn't feel good, the performance of any additional musicians is doomed from the start. The Beatles rarely had this problem with Ringo.
Ringo's "feel" serves as a standard for pop-rock record producers and drummers alike. It is relaxed, but never dragging; solid, yet always breathing. There is a uniqueness to Ringo's playing that can in some ways be attributed to his being a left-handed drummer playing a right-handed drumset. Ringo's distinctive tom fills that lead with the left hand are just as important to his sound as Steve Gadd's rudimental stickings are to his. And yes, there is a great amount of musical taste in Ringo's decisions as to what to play and when to play it.

Ringo hated drum solos, which, like it or not, wins points with quite a few people. He only took one solo with the Beatles. His eight-measure break appears during "The End" from Abbey Road. Some might say that it's not a great display of technical virtuosity, but they would be at least partially mistaken. Set a metronome to a perfect 126 beats per minute, line it up with Ringo's solo, and the two will stay together!

Ringo's ability to play odd time signatures helped to push popular songwriting into uncharted areas. Two examples include "All You Need Is
Love," which is in 7/4 time, and "Here Comes The Sun," with the repeating 11/8, 4/4, and 7/8 passages in the chorus. Ringo's proficiency in many different styles such as two-beat swing ("When I'm Sixty-Four"), ballads ("Something"), R&B ("Leave My
Kitten Alone" and "Taxman"), and country (the Rubber Soul album)helped the Beatles to explore many musical directions with ease. His pre-
Beatle experience as a versatile and hard-working nightclub musician served him well.

The idea that Ringo was a lucky Johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-showbiz-stage-name is wrong. In fact, when Beatles producer George Martin expressed his unhappiness after the first session with original drummer Pete Best, the decision was made by Paul, George, and John to hire the person they considered to be the best drummer in Liverpool—Ringo Starr. His personality was a bonus.

The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are false. In fact, according to Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles: Recording Sessions [Harmony,1988], Ringo played on every Beatles recording that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence," on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band,
"The Ballad Of John And Yoko," again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me
Do" featuring session drummer Andy White. When the Beatles broke up and were trying to get away from each
other, John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his first solo record. As John said in his famous Rolling Stone interview, "If I get
a thing going, Ringo knows where to go—just like that." A great songwriter could ask no more of a drummer—except maybe to smile and bob
his head."

This was taken from Modern Drummer, July 1997. It does make me weary to listen to drummers who aren't as accomplished, piss and moan about a drummer like Ringo. It is as if some drummers, who only play metal or jazz, have the train of thought, "Well, he didn't play on the song Tom Sawyer so Ringo sucks!" or "He doesn't play double bass drums - Ringo sucks!" or "He doesn't appear to have much technical profeciency - Ringo sucks!"........start trying to respect someone besides yourself!

Ringo doesn't suck; He has done more for drumming than most of us ever will! He changed alot of aspects of drumming and made us more visible than ever before!

Rock on Ringo and thank you for all that you have done!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw

Last edited:
I didn't even know the stones were still together.

Ringo? Overrated? Not on your life!

"Ringo has nearly perfect tempo. This allowed the Beatles to record a song twenty-five times, and then be able to edit together different parts of
numerous takes for the best possible version. Today click tracks are used for the same purpose, but the Beatles had to depend on Ringo to keep the tempo consistent throughout the dozens of takes. Had he not had this ability, the Beatles recordings would sound completely different. His perfect time and good feel give Beatles tunes an "ageless" quality.

In most recording sessions the drummer's performance acts as a barometer for the rest of the musicians. The stylistic direction, dynamics, and emotions are filtered through the drummer. He is the catcher to whom the pitcher/songwriter is throwing. If the drumming doesn't feel good, the performance of any additional musicians is doomed from the start. The Beatles rarely had this problem with Ringo.
Ringo's "feel" serves as a standard for pop-rock record producers and drummers alike. It is relaxed, but never dragging; solid, yet always breathing. There is a uniqueness to Ringo's playing that can in some ways be attributed to his being a left-handed drummer playing a right-handed drumset. Ringo's distinctive tom fills that lead with the left hand are just as important to his sound as Steve Gadd's rudimental stickings are to his. And yes, there is a great amount of musical taste in Ringo's decisions as to what to play and when to play it.

Ringo hated drum solos, which, like it or not, wins points with quite a few people. He only took one solo with the Beatles. His eight-measure break appears during "The End" from Abbey Road. Some might say that it's not a great display of technical virtuosity, but they would be at least partially mistaken. Set a metronome to a perfect 126 beats per minute, line it up with Ringo's solo, and the two will stay together!

Ringo's ability to play odd time signatures helped to push popular songwriting into uncharted areas. Two examples include "All You Need Is
Love," which is in 7/4 time, and "Here Comes The Sun," with the repeating 11/8, 4/4, and 7/8 passages in the chorus. Ringo's proficiency in many different styles such as two-beat swing ("When I'm Sixty-Four"), ballads ("Something"), R&B ("Leave My
Kitten Alone" and "Taxman"), and country (the Rubber Soul album)helped the Beatles to explore many musical directions with ease. His pre-
Beatle experience as a versatile and hard-working nightclub musician served him well.

The idea that Ringo was a lucky Johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-showbiz-stage-name is wrong. In fact, when Beatles producer George Martin expressed his unhappiness after the first session with original drummer Pete Best, the decision was made by Paul, George, and John to hire the person they considered to be the best drummer in Liverpool—Ringo Starr. His personality was a bonus.

The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are false. In fact, according to Mark Lewisohn's The Beatles: Recording Sessions [Harmony,1988], Ringo played on every Beatles recording that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence," on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band,
"The Ballad Of John And Yoko," again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me
Do" featuring session drummer Andy White. When the Beatles broke up and were trying to get away from each
other, John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his first solo record. As John said in his famous Rolling Stone interview, "If I get
a thing going, Ringo knows where to go—just like that." A great songwriter could ask no more of a drummer—except maybe to smile and bob
his head."

This was taken from Modern Drummer, July 1997. It does make me weary to listen to drummers who aren't as accomplished, piss and moan about a drummer like Ringo. It is as if some drummers, who only play metal or jazz, have the train of thought, "Well, he didn't play on the song Tom Sawyer so Ringo sucks!" or "He doesn't play double bass drums - Ringo sucks!" or "He doesn't appear to have much technical profeciency - Ringo sucks!"........start trying to respect someone besides yourself!

Ringo doesn't suck; He has done more for drumming than most of us ever will! He changed alot of aspects of drumming and made us more visible than ever before!

Rock on Ringo and thank you for all that you have done!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw

AMEN !! Excellent Post !!!

If it were true, news writers missed a golden opportunity for a headline...

"CHARLIE WATTS HAS NO MORE STONES!"

I'm gonna go back to practicing now...

Peace

Back