My New Pearl Masters MCX

photon

Just brought home my brand new shell pack of Pearl Masters MCX in the chestnut fade finish. I fell in love with that finish the moment I saw it. 10", 12", 16" and 22" kick.

I guess the old Yamaha Stage Customs (well less than 5 years old, so not that old) are now relegated to the number 2 spot. You served me well my old friend : ) Farewell ...

Photos to follow ... just had to tell someone ... : )

Cheers

Big Teaser. I loved the last MCX finish I saw. Let's get those pics up fast!!!!

Just swapping out the heads ... I'll take some photo's tommorrow in the light of day ...

Isn't amazing that no one seems to make decent stock heads for their drums. They should just ship them headless and let everyone start from scratch. maybe we could save money on the kits. But I digress. Waiting on the photos.

Hi Photon, welcome to the Pearl Masters Family!
The MCX is an awesome kit, and Chestnut Fade is such a classy finish.
Congrats on your new purchase.

BTW Gruntersdad, I believe that the MCX comes with Remo Ambassadors as the stock heads. I know that they are not for everyone, but they are far superior than Pearl's ProTone heads. At least Pearl is smart enough to leave those off of their high end kits.

Mmm.... Pearl Masters. And, I have the exact same finish.

Anxiously awaiting pics. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

FWIW - Mine did, in fact, come with Remo Amb/Emp heads. But I changed them to Evans EC2 (older version) before I even set it up - and now I am back to Remo Vintage Emp's.

Yeah they did come with the Remo Ambassador heads but I had a relatively new set of Evans EC 2's on my Yamaha for the batter side so I just swapped them out. And for the reso head I had Evans 's G1's. I'm not sure what the best combination of heads might turn out to be for this kit but that combo worked well for the Yamaha. Although I've just been re-reading the drum tuning bible and it says that you should keep the batter and reso heads the same thickness to ensure the best resonance from the drum because polymers of equal thickness vibrate reasonably equal to each other.

Last edited:
Not the greatest photo's, they really don't do the kit justice but here it is...

Attachments

• DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 2,693
  • DSC00168.JPG
    DSC00168.JPG
    372.1 KB · Views: 1,078
Very nice. And a virgin bass drum to boot. Did you pay extra to have them match the vacuum cleaner? Those drums will be around when you reach my age. Great purchase.

LOL .... yeah, I bult everything around the vacumn cleaner ... (well maybe subconsciously)too funny ... : )

Beauties!

Here's mine (not great pics, and you said it... pics just don't do it justice):

Attachments

• DSC00884.JPG
    DSC00884.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 969
  • DSC00887.JPG
    DSC00887.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 1,083
A few pics of the some of the individual drums...

Attachments

• 10 inch.JPG
    10 inch.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 12 inch.JPG
    12 inch.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Kick.JPG
    Kick.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 1,137
I can see that boom stand getting in the way of my ride though ... I like my ride low ...

I can see that boom stand getting in the way of my ride though ... I like my ride low ...

I had the same issue. I ended up buying a double tom stand and putting the toms offset to the left of the BD. That left room for the ride low over the floor tom.

I've been experimenting with the stand and with a lot of finicky adjustments it looks like I might be able to actually use it to mount my ride.

Back