Todd Sucherman here!

Hugely looking forward to your performance at the London Drum Show in November Todd. As I'm exhibiting at the show, I usually miss most performances, but I will try to sneak away for a while for your show. Consider hanging at the after party Saturday night too. Crowded pub, great jam :)

Andy.

Hey Andy,

Thanks, man….come say hello!

And if there are any drummers here who live in Denver, I'm doing a clinic for them on Monday July 20th at The Toad Tavern in Littleton. Come out and say hello!

Cheers from Denver,
Todd

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid I'm only doing Glasgow, Cardiff, Manchester and the London Drum Show (and one each in Germany, Belgium and Austria.) Hope you can make one of those!

Cheers and thanks-
Todd

Hey Dave,

Nice job and thanks a lot! I actually can’t take credit for this one as I heard Vinnie Colaiuta play this back when I was a young lad on the Gino Vannelli “Nightwalker” record. The lick actually begins on the “and” of one on the snare, thus beginning the paradidle-didle sticking there.

Cheers from Germany, and looking forward to starting in Glasgow tomorrow!

TS

Mr Sucherman, after catching you on the Modern Drummer DVD I've been a big fan of your style and was really looking forward to seeing you play at the London Drum Show.

I've played for a good 30 years, but for the last ten or so have been mainly a bedroom musician, I think more through a fear of failure playing live than anything else. Needless to say you were astounding to watch, but what really stayed with me were your words at the end.

You said "be involved", you really meant it, and that really resonated with me. As a result, I went for an audition the next day, managed to dispel a lot of the tightness and rigidity I usually feel when playing for new people (after all, what's the worst that can happen?), managed to groove, impressed the band and got the gig.

It feels scary, but damn it feels good. All I can say it thank you sir, you truly made the difference.

Man, what a great note. YOU did it! Well done, and thanks for the kind words. Keep it up now....and have fun!

Cheers,
Todd

What a great place, to talk to his drum heros! Thanks Bernhard!

Mr. Sucherman, I love your "Methods & Mechanics II" DVD. Your playing inspiried me a lot! Even your exercises about "Ghost notes" are very helpful to me! Thanks so much!
I noticed your awesome Sonor collection in the background, which you have collected during your Sonor endorsement, right!?
I remember years ago, you are searching in the Sonormuseum forum for a Signature hi hat machine for a double bass kit. Did you succeed?

Greets

Mick

Mick,

Thanks for the kind words! I’m happy you enjoyed the MM2 DVD. As far as the old Sonor collection goes, those were all acquired outside of any endorsement. So that’s the story there. I do in fact have two legless Signature hi hat stands—one on each road kit.

Thanks again for dropping me a note-
Cheers!
Todd

Thanks—nice job!!!

Hey, for anyone interested, this was just put on line. I did 5 tracks live with Canadian artist Lawrence Gowan. Jerry Marrotta played on most of the records in the 80s so this was a lot of fun. Cut live in just about an hour….scroll down for all the tracks. (No drums on Dedication, but it’s a beautiful track.)

http://series.sessionsx.com/artists/gowan/

I'll take this chance to thank Todd and relay another story.

Years ago, you came to Titletown WI for a drum clinic. Naturally, I had to come and see you in person (sans Styx of course).

Your clinic presentation was outstanding and you got to the part about gear. I'm thinking "here we go, more pimping products" (I know who sponsors these events as a music store vet) but I can't help think, "more Pearl, more Sabian blah blah.."

Lo and behold you mention the drumstick and it's maple features. My ears perk up? You mean the heft of a 5B in a lighter package? Color me intrigued. After the clinic, you were in line for autographs and such and I asked about the maple versus typical hickory etc. I went into the store and picked up a pair on your recommendation (gear pimping) :)

Let me tell you, Todd, as a big fan of your playing style and career, you and your signature ProMark have changed my life. I've been playing for 33 years and for about the first 25 years I struggled to find a stick that fit my hand, gave me the reach I needed, lasted long enough and most importantly, gave me the feel I wanted-extension of my hands.

I now order a brick of them at a time or my local store stocks them for me and a couple other converts from your clinic appearance. I have to fight them when they come in!!

No longer do I have hand pain from squeezing too hard. I get more than acceptable life from a pair of sticks (I gig 6-7 times a month/2 gigs per pair usually-that's 90 songs) and the feel of the lightness of maple that allows me to express myself to the fullest. Again, the extension of my hands on the kit.

Thank you for "pimpin" your gear. Some of us do actually pay attention during that portion and you inadvertently changed my drumming life. Just thought you should know how seemingly minor things can have a major impact on someone, as I'm sure you already know.

Last edited:
Todd,

I sent this to the AskTodd email address, but saw that you are pretty active here, so I'm asking again - sorry for the repeat offense!

I am strongly considering buying Audix microphones that match yours, thanks in no small part to the great sound I consistently hear from your drums. I know you've mentioned employing an engineer before, but I thought you might be able to provide me some insight into these that I haven't been able to find elsewhere - do you use noise gates on your tom mics? Your setup is similar to mine with the number of toms, and I've found that the cheap mics I use HAVE to have noise gates or the cymbal bleed is way too much for the mix. I've read that the Audix D2's and D4's don't have this problem because of their hypercardioid design, but thought you might be able to give a realistic opinion on them that isn't a canned response found in their website marketing!

Your drumming has been a true inspiration for me, and I appreciate all that you do. Thank you!

JD

Blisco—

Thanks for that wonderful note. It’s really great to get feedback like that so thanks for sharing that with me! It really is a unique stick in that it’s really sensible and it works. It has a small army of folks who know about them and hope that it continues to grow. I’ve used them for 10 years now and couldn’t be happier. Thanks again for taking the time to let me know. My best to you!

JD—

The new answers are up over at Toddsucherman.com Sorry for the delay!

Martinmn—

Not sure what that is. I don’t click on random links….

Cheers,
Todd

Hey everyone--I have some clinics coming up. If anyone lives in these towns, come on out and say hello!

Todd
------------------------------------
Spring 2015 Drum Clinics

March 28th Guitar Center (Central Houston) 3PM
195 Yale St. Suite 200
Houston, TX 77007
832-673-0828

April 18th at 2PM
Michael Bahan Percussion/Cascade Studios
9705 Burnet Rd Suite 411
Austin, TX

April 27th Drums Etc. at 6:30PM
548 New Holland Ave
Lancaster, PA
717-394-3786

April 28th Gerry’s Music Shop at 6:30PM
80 Lamb Street
South Hadley, MA
413-534-7402

April 29th Epic Percussion at 6:30PM
228 W. 3rd Street Suite #1
Williamsport, PA
831-618-3742

April 30th Volkweins Music at 7PM
138 Industry Drive
Pittsburgh, PA
412-788-5900

May 16th (Clinic at 3PM) May 17th (Masterclass at 11AM)
The Chicago Drum Show
Kane County Fairgrounds
525 South Randall Rd
St. Charles, IL
http://www.rebeats.com/drumshows_start_page.html

Australia’s Drumscene Live Tour (with Jojo Mayer, Jason Heerah and others)

May 24 Sydney
May 25 Brisbane
May 26 Hobart
May 27 Adelaide
May 28 Perth
May31 Melbourne

All information on the Australian dates here:
http://www.drumscene.com.au/events/past-events/item/498-drumscene-live-australian-tour-2015

Hello Todd!

I JUST saw you were down the street from my studio in Houston (at the Guitar Center) which I could have EASILY come to. After kicking myself a few times, I figured I would just ask... Any chance you will be doing that again soon, either in Houston or a Weekend in Austin/St Antonio/Dallas/Surrounding area's?

Love your DVD's! You are a great instructor, and a lot of fun to listen to!

Hey Venimal,

Yeah, sorry to say you missed your chance in Houston in March and in Austin in April. It will probably be a long while until I'm back. I do my best to promote dates on my website, 2 Facebook pages, here...so that's the way it goes. Hope our paths cross down the road.

Cheers from West Palm Beach-
Todd

Hey guys,

It's been pretty mellow around here.....I'm just finishing up a multi month run with Styx and Def Leppard and thought I'd post about 3 upcoming European festival/clinics...if anyone lives near these places, come on out and say hello!

Cheers from Spokane, WA-
Todd

October 2015 European Drum Clinics:

October 24th Czech Republic, Bubenicky Festival http://www.bubenickyfestival.cz

October 26th Drum Center Köln, Germany http://drumcenter.de/en/

October 27th Drumladen St. Leon Rot, Germany, http://www.drumladen.de

Back