But What To Wear?

A zoot suit would be pretty badass.

Larry, be careful of shiny tight weave fabrics that don't breathe.

Back in the late '70s the cabaret/show band I played with decided to snazz it up for NYE. We had these motorcycle jackets made up of this silver fabric that was basically woven tinsel. Kind of like wearing a mylar space blanket. Under the lighting of the time and a high energy NYE crowd I think we all lost 10 pounds in those things.

Larry, be careful of shiny tight weave fabrics that don't breathe. Kind of like wearing a mylar space blanket. Under the lighting of the time and a high energy NYE crowd I think we all lost 10 pounds in those things.

Lost 10 pounds !?!?!

Hey Larry this sounds perfect for us huh.......

But isn't Kraftwerk Germany's answer to the Ventures?

Kraftwerk DO wear Hawaiian shirts. It's just they're all black.

;-)

Here, the uniform for damn near everything is t-shirt (or Hawaiian shirt), shorts, and flip-flops. But then again every piece of schooner trash who comes to my open mic thinks he's Jimmy flippin' Buffett, so that's no surprise. The really *serious* jazz cats wear slacks and polo shirts.

Larry, be careful of shiny tight weave fabrics that don't breathe.

Back in the late '70s the cabaret/show band I played with decided to snazz it up for NYE. We had these motorcycle jackets made up of this silver fabric that was basically woven tinsel. Kind of like wearing a mylar space blanket. Under the lighting of the time and a high energy NYE crowd I think we all lost 10 pounds in those things.

OK how about a liquid cooled zoot suit?

Lost 10 pounds !?!?!

Hey Larry this sounds perfect for us huh.......

I don't get your implication Jim. My body needs every spec of adipose tissue it has. It keeps me warm and happy. I'm not overweight, this is how I am supposed to be :)

I go with the black/dark colors theme. I found some pretty nice shirts to wear: Red Kap work shirts -- you know, the ones like mechanics and tradesmen often wear, and they're often about $15-20. They're a lighter weight than the Dickies brand, which is fine for me under the lights. Truly wash-and-wear, no ironing required. There's tons of them on Amazon in an array of colors. I have a dark grey and a black one. Comfortable fit, well-suited for druming, and they give that somewhat dressed up, better-than-a-t-shirt look...

In a similar thread a few months ago, a major theme seemed to be that the band should dress just above the dress of the patrons.

We played a gig last year on a bill of mostly "Oi"-type punk bands (Sham 69 were the headliners). We are not of that type, but we are a punk band.
We knew, and were proved right, that ALL the bands would be in all black, classic punk-style clothing. We wanted to be different, so we wore Hawaiian shirts.
As we came on stage we could see the dark looks we were getting, so as an introduction our bassist announced "looks like we turned up to the wrong gig again!". That was a genius move, as they immediately warmed to us & we got a great response to our set. We've worn them many times since & it always goes down well.

Dress like Rick Wakeman in the '70s!

Or

Eric Clapton at Cream's reunion at the Royal Albert

Or

Anybody in the Chick Corea Electric Band

But please...

Hawaiian Shirts and Cowboy hats? Well... It does match khaki chino's and topsiders! I can hear the steel drums.... oh my it's Daiquiri time!

I guess this is as good a place as any to send out this PSA.

Ladies, the combination of skirts and boots....looks like crap. Don't even try and defend it. Either go with a skirt with great heels, or go with jeans and boots. Make a decision one way or another, but don't combine the two. It just doesn't look good and never will.

Thank you.

(runs for cover)

What about a a bright colored tank top with balloon pants and those Weckl shoes, Dancers I think they were called?

Thanks to all for their insights, opinions and thoughts.

Thanks also to Larry for his contributions. :)

Many have suggested music-related T-shirts and jeans. Trouble is, that's what I'd wear when I watch a band, and I want to stand out. There are situations, such as playing in a function band, where the band is there to provide music but not necessarily a show, and in that situation I agree a black outfit is prolly best. Yes, Madge, I recall your singer all in black with a black throw/shawl/wrap/pashmeanie, and yes she did look like an amputee.

As it happens, I have sourced a suitably happening pair of trousers...

New-Tibard-Harlequin-Chefs-Trousers-Small-28-30-Waist.jpg

If anybody can pull those trousies off, it's you, James ;) Pity they'll largely be hidden behind your kit, but like my heels, you'll know they're there.

What you wearing on top? Oh and forget my suggestion of hair, particularly if you were inclining towards orange.

One was thinking of a shirt in one of the colours of the strides, possibly with something drum/music related or mildly offensive.

Initially I had been inclined towards an extreme paisley shirt, but that with those happening trousers would be too loud to wear in a built up area.

An extreme paisley shirt with quieter trousies would be fab. I'm thinking maybe a dark shirt with a tie in one of the colours of the, erm, strides.

I have no intention now of asking the Stylist to the Star. If she saw those trousers she would have a fit, and accuse me of corrupting you. She'd only be happy if you were in a charcoal cashmere suit and a pearl grey silk shirt with an amethyst tie. She really hasn't a clue.

Outdoor gigs get a kilt and a sweat wicking shirt.

F

Attachments

• 6ed15f_dd834dba2da3466433621bba39fbde14.jpg_srz_p_275_270_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
    6ed15f_dd834dba2da3466433621bba39fbde14.jpg_srz_p_275_270_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 91
last gig I wore a superman tshirt with jeans. the gig before that i wore my prized "the tempo is whatever i say it is" shirt..lol. i love that thing.

i'm gonna order a few guitar shirts so i dont feel cliche, plus i've read that drummers can find guitar players easier if they wear a guitar shirt. the science behind it being that wearing a pearl shirt will primarily attract conversation from another drummer, but people who play guitar are plentiful and easier to lure in.

Back