A great gigging weekend, but this old fart's exhausted.

Nice Andy. It doers seem to get harder the older I get, too.

Louis Bellson played up until his death. At the end he had to be helped up to the kit, but once he sat down, he was 20 all over again..

Besides, its better than the alternative..

Nice Andy. It doers seem to get harder the older I get, too.

Louis Bellson played up until his death. At the end he had to be helped up to the kit, but once he sat down, he was 20 all over again..

Besides, its better than the alternative..
Ohherrr, I hope it's a while before I need to get carried to the kit! It's all the stuff surrounding a program like that, not the playing itself. Glad you liked the pic's.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Here's a little clip taken by my son on my stills camera from side stage. It was taken by accident, as the camera has some weird feature that records a small video clip either side of the still. Anyhow, this one's for you Larry, Andy murdering yet another classic part (Kansas), even more heinous Larry, it's inserted into "Addicted to love" by Robert Palmer, lol!

Murdering a part? No way, that was nice! Sounded tight! OK it's in the middle of a song, nothing wrong w/ that. I'm sure it fit nicely and was fun. I'm trying to ease up on my rigid attitude concerning covers. Detours to other songs via the original song is a ton of fun and the audience does eat it up.

I will say this, every clip I see of your playing...you look and sound better than the last clip. It took me 5 years of playing after my 20 year break to start being noticed as a drummer. I came back in 2003 and it took me till about 2008 before it started coming together for me. Like I said earlier, watching your ascent is fascinating.

I don't know Andy.

Just the thought of having to lug around your kit with no roadies makes me exhausted just thinking about it! Hahaha...

Nice! Looks very cool!

Yeah.....I'm not lugging around as big (in pieces), or as heavy a kit & hardware as I used to either :O!

Did two shows myself last w/e.
Opened for Ace Frehley of Kiss Friday night with my original band, and my Cheap Trick Tribute played to a HUGE crowd on Sunday at the same festival.
The saving grace was I only had to bring what I wanted to these two shows, and not my kit.

Also did a show the Saturday night before the festival....
But, there's 3 weeks till the next show.

It took me 5 years of playing after my 20 year break to start being noticed as a drummer. I came back in 2003 and it took me till about 2008 before it started coming together for me. Like I said earlier, watching your ascent is fascinating.
Thanks Larry. I'm glad you liked the clip. I've got a video recording of that gig on a mini tape thing, but I have no way of playing it at home. I'll get it put to disc, & if the sound is ok (ah, that famous video cam distorted sound), I'll edit it down to a compilation clip or something.

As for getting back after a long break, I couldn't empathise with you more. I'm finding it tough to get close to what my brain is telling me I can do. I think finally getting some practice in at home will help me out, but there's no doubt that long break takes some confining to history. I guess guys like you & me will always think "what if I'd carried on"!

I don't know Andy.

Just the thought of having to lug around your kit with no roadies makes me exhausted just thinking about it! Hahaha...
Thank you so much for pointing that out DED!!!! To be honest, the gear lugging isn't the bit that tires me the most, but it is the bit we all hate with passion, especially the tear down.

Great pics, and it looks like a nice venue to play. I'm the same age, but I usually don't feel like it until the day after the gig. Don't worry about resting; you can do that after your dead ;)
A good point Mike, & one I'd do well to remember. Thanks!

Did two shows myself last w/e.
Opened for Ace Frehley of Kiss Friday night with my original band, and my Cheap Trick Tribute played to a HUGE crowd on Sunday at the same festival.
The saving grace was I only had to bring what I wanted to these two shows, and not my kit.
Great sounding gigs Karl. What kind of act is Ace Frehley putting out? Did that sit well with your originals act? All good stuff mate!

You guys are just amazing, I mean headlined the ANNUAL HARLEY DAVIDSON Rally, well that is pretty awesome. I can feel the crowd, sitting there. I can just imagine how it would have been.

Great sounding gigs Karl. What kind of act is Ace Frehley putting out? Did that sit well with your originals act? All good stuff mate!

Ace does most of his original '78 solo stuff, new stuff, some Frehley's Comet stuff, some Kiss songs and does the smoking guitar bit.
He was real good, band was good, he sang fine (sounded like "Ace" haha!) and played real well.

Our band is hard rock, so it went over great. It's called Artificial Agent if anyone wants to look it up.

We just got a show last night with Poison for the 26th at the big "shed" which is around 18-20,000 with the lawn.
It's a nice venue to play, they treat you well, and have great monitors and crew. This will be the third time I've played there.
I'll be playing MY kit at this show :)!

I have a gig on that Saturday too, so two days in a week of schlepping a kit around--but I'm not complaining!

Hey kid,

I'm 61 and on the 4th of July played one two hour set in 90 degree weather. Then in the evening another 1 3/4 hr set as part of a 4 hour gig. You're not an old fart...just a young whippersnapper. Hang in there....and take more naps!

Pretty much says it all. Stoked at being back on the pro stage after all these years, but, at 50, it's so much harder than I remember it to be. The long hours, the travelling, the gear humping, ack! The alcohol fuelled social side's killing me too. That networking got us some great gigs for next year, so again, mixed feelings. We headlined the annual Harley Davidson rally this weekend. I'm soooo proud of this lineup getting to this level in such a short space of time, but, to be honest, I'm a bit concerned that I'm not up to the job. I need to find a way of managing my own enthusiasm.

Anyhow, here's some great pictures.

I'd suggested making it a priority that you find at least 1 hour every day to job or walk or bike. And try this company's product called Pro Reds www.nutritionalfrontiers.com Awesome stuff that keeps me running.

I'm around your age (54 in November) and while we're not playing very many venues as nice as your pictures -- we are playing roughly 200 gigs a year on average... Mostly bar gigs, full 3 hour nights usually (Original Blues, Roots type of stuff). Along with working a regular day job (luckily I can work from home most days).

So, I can feel your pain!!! This particular outfit has been doing it now for about 8 years... and it does take a little more of a toll each year - I've taken to letting the young guys haul most of the heavy stuff and also let them do most of the driving. They're OK with it and it's a big help for the old man in the band - trust me!

You appear to be in much better shape physically than I am (at least judging by the photos) - so I'm sure you'll adapt. I find it all catches up with me every couple weeks and I might be a total wreck and sleep a Sunday away... Cat naps before a gig (in the van if necessary) help... I've had to totally cut out much of the socializing (especially involving alchohol/drugs) -- I just can't do it anymore - the recuperation process isn't worth it 9 times out of 10.

Good Luck - the kit does look great

Peace!

Mike Noll
Nate Myers & The Aces
www.natemyers.com

Ohherrr, I hope it's a while before I need to get carried to the kit! It's all the stuff surrounding a program like that, not the playing itself. Glad you liked the pic's.

I'm around your age (54 in November) and while we're not playing very many venues as nice as your pictures -- we are playing roughly 200 gigs a year on average... Mostly bar gigs, full 3 hour nights usually (Original Blues, Roots type of stuff). Along with working a regular day job (luckily I can work from home most days).

So, I can feel your pain!!! This particular outfit has been doing it now for about 8 years... and it does take a little more of a toll each year - I've taken to letting the young guys haul most of the heavy stuff and also let them do most of the driving. They're OK with it and it's a big help for the old man in the band - trust me!

You appear to be in much better shape physically than I am (at least judging by the photos) - so I'm sure you'll adapt. I find it all catches up with me every couple weeks and I might be a total wreck and sleep a Sunday away... Cat naps before a gig (in the van if necessary) help... I've had to totally cut out much of the socializing (especially involving alchohol/drugs) -- I just can't do it anymore - the recuperation process isn't worth it 9 times out of 10.

Good Luck - the kit does look great

Peace!

Mike Noll
Nate Myers & The Aces
www.natemyers.com
Hey Mike, 1st up, a big welcome to the forum!

Wow, 200 gigs/year, that's some schedule. Glad to see you have your kit down to the minimum. Checked out your playing on the band site. Just superb, love it. You have a great touch, & the band oozes "oneness". Our resident blues guru, Larry, would love your stuff. Thanks for chiming in, & enjoy the forum. Good to have you here.

Andy.

KIS man - Andy if I may,

the fact that you are out there doing it is so cool and inspirational to me,
who cares about the dumb graph on "coolness being a band guy" thing...

Fact is, at my age (39) those thoughts of "why bother?" enter in
and if it wasn't for the fact that I simply love creating music with others
I would possibly let those "coolness graphs" or negative thoughts
affect me. But we all know it isn't about being cool or even recognized
for that matter
it's about a drive and passion that you either have or don't.
Obviously you got it - so that's "cool" in my book:)

It's good to see you out there doing what you love and yes NAPS...LOL!

keep the music alive!

Respect, mate!

I'm a couple of years behind you, and for years I played two-or-three-times a week, often travelling around the UK in the back of a van.

Now, I'm happy to be once-every-two-weekends warrior.

For me, I love the playing, enjoy the social/beer side, but don't love humping the gear, setting up and ripping down the drums, even though I just play locally now.

After a gig, for me there's nothing better than getting home, stowing the drums, having a shower, then sitting down, relaxing and knowing that's me done for another week or two!

Having said that, I'm sitting writing this in a grey 9-5 office environment - and I know what I'd rather be doing to make a living!

Well done, Andy! Looks great.

Andy,

Thanks much for the warm welcome! I've been lurking for a little while - but your post was the push I needed to chime in. Your concern is something we all end up dealing with as the years pile up, the drums get heavier, the trips/nights longer etc...

Thank you also for the very kind words! Best of luck to you, my friend! Now, go take a nap!!

Mike Noll
Nate Myers & The Aces
www.natemyers.com

Hey Mike, 1st up, a big welcome to the forum!

Wow, 200 gigs/year, that's some schedule. Glad to see you have your kit down to the minimum. Checked out your playing on the band site. Just superb, love it. You have a great touch, & the band oozes "oneness". Our resident blues guru, Larry, would love your stuff. Thanks for chiming in, & enjoy the forum. Good to have you here.

Andy.

Back