Unanswered Threads

P

paradiddle pete

Should a thread with no replies go unanswered simply because you may not have anything valid to contribute or should we reply just out of common courtesy so the op doesn't feel like a wallflower? On second thoughts don't reply I'll figure it out on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no knowledge of the issue, no opinion on the matter, have no experience with the topic at hand and am unqualified to offer any meaningful advice.

Apart from that I think I'm in a perfect position to spout freely. It is afterall, the internet. Where all opinions are viewed equally and all voices carry weight.

I have zero experience with e-kits other than the 2 minutes I played on one at a computer convention, that was sponsored buy a John Lennon music education show. I don't answer many at all of those questions for obvious reasons, but did google a problem posted yesterday, and found a manual page and quoted that. I try to stay away from topics with no knowledge, opinion, or interest. Also once a question has been answered and thanked by the OP, I see no reason to chime in and waste space.

Some threads go unanswered because they could have just as easily googled that.

Some threads go unanswered becasue the op is asking for a long complex answer without taking the time to ask what exactly they are after. Some are the equivalent to "Can lik you tell me EVERYTHING there is to know about astro physics?" It's like, uh, you need to do some research first and then come back with specifics.

I don’t know about answering post that you don’t have an answer to but periodically I will post a response to a question without the OP ever acknowledging. Even a simple thank you would be sufficient. At least then you’d know they read it.

Should a thread with no replies go unanswered simply because you may not have anything valid to contribute

yes. As a reader quite frankly I don't particularly enjoy reading through somebody's "non-answers' to a specific question on a thread, be it mine or somebody elses. I prefer reading or getting to the answer.
A 'discussion' thread is another matter, all voices in on that one.

Example:

OP: anybody know a source of typical cymbals weights for 22 inch rides?
Poster A - I just got a great new 20 inch Sabian AAX ride and I think it weighs 2500 g. Matches my new AAX hats.

Unless I know nothing about the subject matter of the OP just posted what I believe to be a very dumb idea I always make a point to comment. I think its just the polite thing to do, makes a person feel validated.

I posted a gelcoat question earlier and I got 90 views, not one damn comment. The thread about blizzards and distrusting newscasters gets all the love and no one wants to help me out.

On another forum I got one reply, basically just a "go for it!" Motivated me to call a fiberglass place here in town, learned that it doesn't adhere to wood very well. I might go the custom paint route if the price is right.

If it's unanswered, it doesn't pique anyone's interest. Nothing wrong there unless someone gets offended because no one is interested in their thread. I wouldn't post in a thread I hold no interest in just because no one responded.

...The thread about blizzards and distrusting newscasters gets all the love and no one wants to help me out....

Don't take it personally, Red.

The thread about blizzards is getting lots of posts because there is a poster adding idiocy every time he posts.

I've been trying to close that thread. Maybe it will work this time.

Very few people ever reply to my threads. I reply to very few threads with anything useful to the OP. It's pretty much zero sum gain for the internets.

Very few people ever reply to my threads. I reply to very few threads with anything useful to the OP. It's pretty much zero sum gain for the internets.

Don't you start being negative Al. You post funny memes in posts that always make me laugh and you musical theater threads always get a lot of attention. I know I very much enjoyed your Rocky Horror thread.

Couple of days ago I made an obit post about a drummer friend of mine who was an influential figure in the Pacific Northwest independent music scene and nobody said diddly.

I guess I'm not one of the "regulars," but it does have 90 views, so I'm at least glad that I spread the word that the world lost a drummer who was a really happening guy.

periodically I will post a response to a question without the OP ever acknowledging. Even a simple thank you would be sufficient. At least then you’d know they read it.
Agreed, that can be annoying, especially if you've spent some time giving a detailed reply. I make a point of replying to those who take time to respond to my posts.

Very few people ever reply to my threads.
I respond to most of your threads, but I'll stop doing so if you start getting all girly ;0 Ooops, sexist police have been activated ;)

Back