Matched grip, yet my left hand is so sad...

Thanks Bill. I believe this is a part of my problem. I'll go work on it.

Thanks for the post of new content.
I am really getting a lot out of my drumworkout.com membership.
It's almost time to scdule another Skype lesson

I used to be one of those guys who "pushed at the brick wall with renewed vigor".

Bill is a monster player and masterful teacher. He has the most comprehensive grasp of hand technique of anyone that I've even seen.

Although I understood what you're trying to say on the other hand german grip is great to develop wrists and not be so dependant on fingers, so I guess there's two sides of the coin on this one.

Although I understood what you're trying to say on the other hand german grip is great to develop wrists and not be so dependant on fingers, so I guess there's two sides of the coin on this one.

Yes Grolubao, but the wrists can do the same function and just as well in German and American. I prefer American since the other options are readily available as well.

I used to be one of those guys who "pushed at the brick wall with renewed vigor".

Bill is a monster player and masterful teacher. He has the most comprehensive grasp of hand technique of anyone that I've even seen.

And... AND.. if you are in the NorthEast, Bill will be at the KOSA !!

July 21-26, Castleton State College, Vermont

Attachments

• KOSA.PNG
    KOSA.PNG
    140.9 KB · Views: 271
Great insights, Bill. I have recently been working on this myself. My hands are at their peak with traditional grip, and I feel that in the best of all worlds, matched grip is quite possibly an overall better solution. But making the change takes so much work, mostly because it's about changing the hand position of the weaker hand so that it works just like the stronger hand does.

One good thing about matched is that you have a model for greatness already.....assuming that your right hand is truly strong, "all" you have to do is get the left hand to work exactly like the right. No small feat actually, but I agree that working on french grip is an important thing to do. My right hand has wonderful finger control and I am certain that is because I spent years working on the the jazz ride cymbal pattern using french grip.

I also agree that working harder is not the answer --- in fact, it can hurt you by reinforcing incorrect movements.....an important idea to understand.

Back