Hammered Bronze Lacquer Flaking Off

Tubthumper

My lacquer finish is starting to flake off on my Ludwig hammered bronze. Should I try and peel it off and refinish it ? Any type of solvent that would be safe to use on it? The drum is almost 20 yrs old and still looks and sounds great, and I would like to keep it that way. Any suggestions are welcome.

If it's flaking off, then it's just the metal itself corroding or rusting. There's not much you can do about that, other than some preventative steps to keep it from getting worse. And, with it being hammered it's gonna be difficult to do any refinishing due to the indentions. I would keep it in a bag/case at least to prevent any more corrosion. Also, a lot of these older bronze drums have this same issue. The drum is just getting old, but at the same time it looks more vintage, so display that rust with pride.

The only way I would strip it and refinish it is if you have access to someone that can spray automotive clear on it. If not, then just let it age naturally and build up some awesome patina.

I do keep it in a case, so no signs of rusting or pitting so far. I was cleaning it and the lacquer was peeling in flakes in a few areas, kinda like a cellophane wrapper.
Maybe I was freakin a little too quickly. I'll just keep an eye on the situation and make a decision at that point.
Thanks for the replies !

Back