Vintage stuff. Period.

Part of me would love to have a vintage kit but another part of me thinks the quirks would drive me nuts. I may still get one some day but I'll make sure I can try it first. I have replica vintage kits and I love the vintage looks with the modern consistency of the shell and perfect roundover edge. They have a vintage vibe but they're new and I like that. Same with hardware. I have modern flat-base stands that are well-built and sturdy but look vintage.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a kit with "mistakes" or old-style inconsistencies built in.

Here is an example that shows how a vintage design can be improved while still retaining the elements of the original design. I bought this redesigned Gretsch strainer system.
http://youtu.be/eize23RuUTM

Well since this thread is about vintage, I figured I'd drop some vintage photos. In my opinion, you can get more bang for your buck by buying vintage stuff. I just picked up a DW Collectors set, and I am already thinking of selling it... It sounds ok, of course, but A/B'd with my early 70s 3-ply Ludwig kit, the D-Dubs don't sound better to me.. But, it's all subjective to your personal taste as well as the style of music you are playing. I wouldn't use a vintage 60's Gretsch or Ludwig kit to play speed metal, and wouldn't use a Pearl or Tama double bass with six tom kit to play jazz, country or blues...

Anyways... about those the photos:

Attachments

• resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 40s.jpg
    40s.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 361
  • clubbies.jpg
    clubbies.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 340
  • luddy.jpg
    luddy.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 359
All I'll say is that we tend to romanticize the past, remembering the good and forgetting the bad.

A Ferrari Daytona is a lovely vintage sports car but I'd prefer to be handed the keys to a new 458 Italia Spider, thank you very much (assuming price didn't enter into it).

Yep, that's that wonderful thing called nostalgia!

I will be the first to admit that I don't play these drums out (crazy work schedule prohibits band participation, but keeps me supplied in cool toys).

Out of the 4 kits set up in my basement, this is the one that still brings a small tear to the corner of my eye every time I sit down to play it.

The sound these 68 Ludwig's produce tend to penetrate the soul. Sure they have a few extra holes but it's part of what makes them "mine".

Like a Stradivarius violin of 300 years ago, to me a 68 Ludwig is it's equal.

True vintage for me please.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 303
I will be the first to admit that I don't play these drums out (crazy work schedule prohibits band participation, but keeps me supplied in cool toys).

Out of the 4 kits set up in my basement, this is the one that still brings a small tear to the corner of my eye every time I sit down to play it.

The sound these 68 Ludwig's produce tend to penetrate the soul. Sure they have a few extra holes but it's part of what makes them "mine".

Like a Stradivarius violin of 300 years ago, to me a 68 Ludwig is it's equal.

True vintage for me please.

Vintage kits just have that warmth about them that newer kits lack. Nice kit ya have there!

The collectors are always talking about small imperfections like a few extra holes, blah, blah, blah.
The drummers like us that actually love to play our vintage kits couldn't give a crap about minor cosmetic details. We either buy these drums with a few extra holes, or we add and subtract hardware that creates them.
Do the collectors of near perfect vintage kits actually play their drums and enjoy them as we do? I don't think so.

That's it KamaK, "Don't Touch It"
I was attacked by some trolls on YT because I modified my 65 Slingerland kit.
The funny thing is that it is my favorite kit out of all of the kits that I own.
I couldn't care less what they think.

That's it KamaK, "Don't Touch It"
I was attacked by some trolls on YT because I modified my 65 Slingerland kit.
The funny thing is that it is my favorite kit out of all of the kits that I own.
I couldn't care less what they think.

I get it, but can see both sides. When I modify or perform maintenance on my gear, I keep all of the old parts in a labeled freezer-sized ziplock bag. Even the broken original parts go into the bag. The bag stays in the case with the gear. On occasion, I'll reconstitute a broken part. If I ever want to sell, the bag follows the gear and I get to sell it as "100% original ".

Kinda like having my cake and eating it too.

1966 School Festival. Looks like Hell, sounds like Heaven!
1967 Super Classic in my avatar.

Attachments

• 66schoolfest small copy.jpg
    66schoolfest small copy.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 253
The collectors are always talking about small imperfections like a few extra holes, blah, blah, blah.
The drummers like us that actually love to play our vintage kits couldn't give a crap about minor cosmetic details. We either buy these drums with a few extra holes, or we add and subtract hardware that creates them.
Do the collectors of near perfect vintage kits actually play their drums and enjoy them as we do? I don't think so.

AMEN, my Ludwig is about as far from a collectors kit as you can get but on stage it looks mint under lights.

I always wanted an old Ludwig kit to gig with and luckily one came up for £695 on classicdrums.com Len Howe is a godsend for Ludwig stuff in the UK, it was only a players kit chrome over wood 24/14/16/18 but it had that sound, I recovered it in green sparkle, not an expensive one or the Ludwig one.

I added a 22" 1966 bass drum for smaller gigs which was in bad shape when I got it, it was thermogloss originally but someone had done a DIY tobacco fade with spray paint and then it had been sprayed with metallic paint, sanded down what I could and refinished/reskined it. Happy to say I'd put it up against any top end bass drum today sound wise. Also added a 12" tom but had to buy mini lugs (thanks Len).

Found a nice picture of it but can't upload it as picture is too big apparently.

It's nice to take a project on and be proud of it but at the same time not be afraid to take it on the road and earn some pennies with it.

Back