My Pearl kit - it's still a bit of a project

Mr.Si

Hi all,

Haven't been on here for a while and have only properly gotten around to getting some half decent photos of my kit, which I'm still paying my friend known to a few of us at church as Drummergirl.

She sold it to me as she got a gorgeous tangerine orange DW kit. Aparently it's an Ex - Spando Ballet kit, which is pretty cool (no proof though, unfortunately)

I think it comes to me 3rd or 4th hand, but it's lovely!

They cymbals are the budget Amati ones though, because they are borrowed and I have yet to buy them. I need to go listen to some in the shops and then buy them S/H on ebay or something. Most of the stuff I will play will be rock based / comtemporary Christian music at church. (Advice is always welcome)

But for an extra £50, I got a 2nd kick (no skins though) and almost a gibraltar rack, which I've completed (there were no feet).

Most of it has been properly stained, except the 2nd kick (not pictured) and the 3rd Tom, which has the newest of the remo pin stipes and sounds the most horrible of the lot! (needs some dampening other than the inside one). I need to find out how to stain it and what colour it is!!! (fat chance)

I had to buy the kick pedal and Hi Hat stand (both REMO) and also the snare and snare stand, both Mapex. The snare is a Brass construction 13" x 5.5" Mapex Black Panther

Anyway, enough rambling... to the pictures!!! (Hope I've not put TOO many on)

Oh, and btw, I normally use a Shure 57 on the snare, so please forgive the 58 in its place (all my 57s are out at the moment). Other Mics I use are Audix D6 on kick, Audix D2 on Toms, Rode NT3 for overheads and a cheapy Optimus condenser for the hat (it's surprising how sometimes the cheapest mics give the best results on Hi-Hats). All my Audix mics are also currently out.

DSCN2868.jpg

DSCN2867.jpg

DSCN2869.jpg

DSCN2870.jpg

DSCN2874.jpg

DSCN2875.jpg

DSCN2880.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg

DSCN2886.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

DSCN2890.jpg

That's all for now folks.

Blessings
Si

Last edited:
Hey Si, Those old pearl kits sound great. Your doing a great job keep at it. A zildjian cymbals are a great all round cymbal and are usually reasonably priced second hand. Spandu Ballet were GOLD !!! Have fun.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the nice comments!

I've joined the group too... good stuff!

I'm going to eventually put a video or some audio up when get my decent drum mics back, although, I might just use a camcorder initially...

Practice Practice Practice!!!

Cool! I've seen a handful of members here on the forum who have stained an older kit like this and there's only one problem that I have with them: The black kick hoops. Other than that, they look really great, and are totally unique. Welcome to the forum.

Back