Caddy's Gretsch Round Badge project

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
So, I picked up a Gretsch Round Badge kit a few weeks ago. It appears to be an amalgamation of several orphan pieces put together: 12"X8" tom, 14"x14" floor tom, 20"x14" bass drum. The tom is painted blue, outside AND inside (grrrr....), the floor tom has been stripped and had the holes filled (silver sealer interior is intact, though), and the bass drum has seen better days, cosmetically, but is structurally sound (but the interior sealer has been removed as well). All of the parts are original and work fine so far, although some are rusty, some are pitted, and some just need a good cleaning. But, when I bought it, I thought that it was a good deal on a fixer-upper ($500), IF I decided to keep it...

Well, after tinkering with it for a few weeks now, I've decided I'm going to keep it. It just sounds REALLY stinkin' good! I dig the features on it, like the knob-adjustable bass drum felt strip (see the bass drum head pic...notice how the felt goes *most* of the way up?). I don't know if I'm going to go so far as to replace the less attractive hardware, and I'm undecied about whether I'm going to re-wrap it to match, but I already have the missing bass drum badge on order. I have 2 wraps in mind...either a green sparkle or a white satin flame, and I have quotes in on both of them. Which would YOU choose? Or, I'm also thinking about leaving it as is, 'cause it just. has. this. MOJO. to. it! What do you guys think?

Anyways, enough gab...here's some pics:

Attachments

• RB kit.jpg
    RB kit.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • RB bass.jpg
    RB bass.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • RB toms.jpg
    RB toms.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • RB muffler.jpg
    RB muffler.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,012
Nice find!

My next kit will be those sizes (some day).

Of the finish options you listed, I'd go white satin over green sparkle.

Ah ha.....we finally get a gander!!

Nice Caddy. Can't believe the muppet painted the inside of the shell....what a total annoyance.....he at least could have painted it silver for you. Hope you're ready for some serious sanding!

Personally, I'd re-wrap (but that's just me, I've never been much of a fan of frankenstein kits)....but I still haven't totally decided if I'd prefer the green sparkle or the white satin. I still think the WSF will look extra cool under stage lights though.

Looking forward to following the progress on this one. Great foundation set up for an excellent looking (and sounding) kit here.

I'd de-wrap the rack tom and the kick. Sand all three shells, and then stain/clearcoat/wax them to look like

Attachments

• 67252578_yRSdAR6a__MG_9528.jpg
    67252578_yRSdAR6a__MG_9528.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,048
Man, you guys blow me away everytime with your 'transformations' & before/after project threads. I love em though I'd never have the patience personally. Btw, Harry, you had one going, did you ever finish it?

Caddy, I love the blonde look Harry is suggesting. ( Leave out the black dot though.. )

PS- Harry, notice Keith & Charlie are totally color-coordinated..

Last edited:
Btw, Harry, you had one going, did you ever finish it?

My Rogers project, finished, and I just gave those drums away to a good drummer dog buddy of mine last week. My Luddies, almost finished. I have a spare 18x16 floor tom that I'm gonna cut down to 18x12. That will give me a "jazzette" kick. Then I'll need to find a 12x8. I already have a 14x14. Combine that with my 26x16, 13x9, 16x16 and 18x16 ...... 7 drums for all ocassions.​
My Omar Hakim snare fits in quite well, with the Luddies.​

Attachments

• phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    phpoTma3GAM.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 934
  • php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 943
Wow Caddy great score man! Not one of the choices offered, but I'd restore it to an original color wrap that was offered at the time the set was made, or finish it natural ala Harry. Was green sparkle and WSF an original offered wrap? I would go sparkle, but champagne. I'd restore the hardware and everything! I'd send it to Gretsch to re silver seal it! Even if it took awhile! It's a Gretsch Round Badge for Pete's sake! I'm having a Bob moment! Help!.....Can't....Stop.....exclamining!!!!!!!!!!

Sound files pleeeeeeeze! And not just whacking the toms, we need to hear you play them, pleeeeeeeze! With a band preferably! (twirls moustache sneakily)

Excellent find Caddy--I hope some day to be so lucky!

And, IMO, well worth any efforts you decide to put into her. Like Larry said, "It's a Gretsch Round Badge for Pete's sake" and I sense it will be a treasure regardless of which way(s) you decide to go.

Please keep us posted!

best,

spleen

Hey all,

I considered doing a natural finish, but the drums are kind of ugly...not the best maple to do a finish. If I DID decide to do that, I'd have to put a veneer on them, which is not necessarily my dream for this kit.

So, it sounds as if the verdict between the two wraps is WSF. That's what I was leaning towards, too. The bass drum is in such sorry shape I'd have to re-wrap it, too.

Larry: WSF and green sparkle were both finish options back then, WSF being associated with Elvin Jones, and green sparkle being a super-rare finish--both finishes I would like to have on my kits some day. Oh, and I don't have the technical capabilities to record video of my playing to post, sorry. If I did, I'd probably have posted videos of me doing blast beats along to jazz tunes while wearing a seatbelt... :p

Here's another "stock" option.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentCAH4DL7Z.jpg
    GetAttachmentCAH4DL7Z.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,150
Back