The Old Drummers or the New Drummers?

Thank you how refreshing on here, the first selection surprised me in that you sung it in a very high pitch hahahaha!!! I haven't heard that song in years and you did sing it well.
The second selection showed articulation that I'm not used to hearing unless I take out some of my 33.3 records and go into jazz thats absent of pop completely. I enjoyed your selections and your talent. Thank you, Doc

Well Guys, here's a little stats about the drummer mentioned in this thread:

143 drummers named in 122 posts.

7 times mentioned
Billy Cobham
John Bonham
Steve Gadd
Tony Williams

6 times mentioned
Buddy Rich
Jojo Mayer

5 times mentioned
Neil Peart
Simon Phillips

4 times mentioned
Art Blakey
Bill Ward
Cozy Powell
Dave Weckl
Elvin Jones
Joe Morello
Keith Moon
Max Roach
Mitch Mitchell
Ringo Starr

3 times mentioned
?uestlove
Benny Greb
Danny Carey
Gene Krupa
Ginger Baker
Ian Paice
Steve Smith
Stewart Copeland
Vinnie Colaiuta

2 times mentioned
Alex Van Halen
Bernard Purdie
Bill Bruford
Carmine Appice
Chris Dave
Dave Grohl
David Garibaldi
Jim Keltner
John Densmore
Mark Giuliana
Michael Shrieve
Mike Johnston
Papa Jo Jones
Phil Collins
Roger Taylor
Thomas Lang

1 time mentioned
Aynsley Dunbar
Baby Dodds
Barriemore Barlow
Billy Blade
Bobby Colomby
Brian Blade
Carl Palmer
Carter Beauford
Charlie Watts
Chick Webb
Chris Alder
Chris Frantz
Chris Pennie
Chris Slade
Clive Bunker
Clyde Stubblefield
Damien Schmitt
Dannie Richmond
Danny Seraphine
Dave Dicenso
Dave Lombardo
Dave Tough
Dennis Chambers
Dino Danelli
Dominic Howard
Don Henley
Doug Falconer
Earl Hudson
Earl Palmer
Ed Shaunessy
Eric Moore
Gary Chester
Gavin Harrison
Gergo Borlai
Gil Moore
Hal Blaine
Harvey Mason
Igor Cavalera
Jabo Starks
Jack Dejohnette
Jeff Porcaro
Jim Gordon
Jim Holder
Jimmy Chamberlain
Jimmy Cobb
John Barbata
John Riley
John Tempesta
John Theodore
Johnny Rabb
Jon Fariss
Jon Hiseman
Josh freeze
Justin Conway
Keith Carlock
Lenny White
Levon Helm
Louie Bellson
Luke Flowers
Mackie Jayson
Matt Cameroun
Matt Chamberlain
Matt Frazier
Meg White
Michael Walden
Mike Bordin
Mike Mangini
Moe Tucker
Nicko Mc Brain
Peter Criss
Phil Rudd
Pina Coladas
Rat Scabies
Richard Bailey
Richie Hayward
Rick Marotta
Rob Hirst
Robb Reiner
Robo
Roy Haynes
Sol Amrfio
Sonny Payne
Steve Prestwich
Thomas Pridgen
Tommy Clufetos
Tommy Lee
Tony Allen
Tony Thompson
Topper Headon
Tre Cool
Uriel Jones
Vernell Fournier
Zig Modeliste
Zutty Singleton

Last edited:
Neil Peart, Neil Peart, Neil Peart. That makes 8 times. He wins. :)

Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White

:D

Great work, MAD. That's the sort of thing I do :) Did you save the pages and create an algorithm to do the counting? Was Was Brian Blade really only mentioned once? A travesty!

Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White Meg White

:D

Great work, MAD. That's the sort of thing I do :) Did you save the pages and create an algorithm to do the counting? Was Was Brian Blade really only mentioned once? A travesty!
Meg and Brian Who? :p

Impressive!!

Did you save the pages and create an algorithm to do the counting? Was Was Brian Blade really only mentioned once? A travesty!

Ah, so there is a trick? I was wondering how long it took to count that lot out.

Another travesty........no mention of Steve Jordan at all. So just for the algorithm, there's his first.

This is what makes it a valuable and diverse place to hang out.

QFT.

7 times mentioned
Billy Cobham
John Bonham
Steve Gadd
Tony Williams

6 times mentioned
Buddy Rich
Jojo Mayer

5 times mentioned
Neil Peart
Simon Phillips

4 times mentioned
Art Blakey
Bill Ward
Cozy Powell
Dave Weckl
Elvin Jones
Joe Morello
Keith Moon
Max Roach
Mitch Mitchell
Ringo Starr

3 times mentioned
?uestlove
Benny Greb
Danny Carey
Gene Krupa
Ginger Baker
Ian Paice
Steve Smith
Stewart Copeland
Vinnie Colaiuta

2 times mentioned
Alex Van Halen
Bernard Purdie
Bill Bruford
Carmine Appice
Chris Dave
Dave Grohl
David Garibaldi
Jim Keltner
John Densmore
Mark Giuliana
Michael Shrieve
Mike Johnston
Papa Jo Jones
Phil Collins
Roger Taylor
Thomas Lang

1 time mentioned
Aynsley Dunbar
Baby Dodds
Barriemore Barlow
Billy Blade
Bobby Colomby
Brian Blade
Carl Palmer
Charlie Watts
Chick Webb
Chris Alder
Chris Frantz
Chris Pennie
Chris Slade
Clive Bunker
Clyde Stubblefield
Damien Schmitt
Dannie Richmond
Danny Seraphine
Dave Dicenso
Dave Lombardo
Dave Tough
Dennis Chambers
Dino Danelli
Dominic Howard
Don Henley
Doug Falconer
Earl Hudson
Earl Palmer
Ed Shaunessy
Eric Moore
Gary Chester
Gavin Harrison
Gergo Borlai
Gil Moore
Hal Blaine
Harvey Mason
Igor Cavalera
Jabo Starks
Jack Dejohnette
Jeff Porcaro
Jim Gordon
Jim Holder
Jimmy Chamberlain
Jimmy Cobb
John Barbata
John Riley
John Tempesta
John Theodore
Johnny Rabb
Jon Fariss
Jon Hiseman
Josh freeze
Justin Conway
Keith Carlock
Lenny White
Levon Helm
Louie Bellson
Luke Flowers
Mackie Jayson
Matt Cameroun
Matt Chamberlain
Matt Frazier
Meg White
Michael Walden
Mike Bordin
Mike Mangini
Moe Tucker
Nicko Mc Brain
Peter Criss
Phil Rudd
Pina Coladas
Rat Scabies
Richard Bailey
Richie Hayward
Rick Marotta
Rob Hirst
Robb Reiner
Robo
Roy Haynes
Sol Amrfio
Sonny Payne
Steve Prestwich
Thomas Pridgen
Tommy Clufetos
Tommy Lee
Tony Allen
Tony Thompson
Topper Headon
Tre Cool
Uriel Jones
Vernell Fournier
Zig Modeliste
Zutty Singleton

I mentioned Carter Beauford in post #79 but dont see him on the list, the algorithm has a flaw..lol

Yes I saved the page... but I didn't do an algorithm, I would not know how to do that! I use microsoft excel, then sorted in alphabetical order and counted how many times a given drummer was on the list, simple really... but is seems that I missed one!!! bum....

Now, there's no point in writing your fav drummer many times on a post as I only counted the drummers in original posts, not if they were mentioned again in the replies of the posts, that would be cheating... Only new entries will count.

Also, it's not because Billy Cobham was mentioned 7 times and Benny Greb 3 times that Billy's better than Benny, it doesn't work that way, it's a list of drummers who have influenced the drummers in this thread, which mean that more drummers where influenced by Billy and less drummers by Benny.

I guess im more influenced by new drummers: Brian Blade, Eric Harland, Stanton Moore, Benny Greb, Jojo Mayer, Bill Stewart, Billy Martin, Mark Guiliana, Chris Dave are probably my favorites.

Although I'm definitely influenced by Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones, and Tony Williams

He seems like a very cool cat. He oozes with feel. :)

I'd not heard of him until coming to DW ... nor Benny Greb or JoJo Mayer and many of the DW heroes (after about 15 years of just listening to whatever came on the radio). I was stunned to find out Neil Peart's rep because last I knew of him, he was in this prog band a friend played me decades ago and I wasn't thrilled. Also surprised that so many people were into Bill Bruford ... I was always a fan but he wasn't on the radar in any of the scenes I hung out in.

Yes I saved the page... but I didn't do an algorithm, I would not know how to do that! I use microsoft excel, then sorted in alphabetical order and counted how many times a given drummer was on the list, simple really... but is seems that I missed one!!! bum....

Now, there's no point in writing your fav drummer many times on a post as I only counted the drummers in original posts, not if they were mentioned again in the replies of the posts, that would be cheating... Only new entries will count.

I would have done Excel too. How did you parse the names from the text? And how did you deal with nicknames like Ringo and Moonie?

I guess im more influenced by new drummers: Brian Blade, Eric Harland, Stanton Moore, Benny Greb, Jojo Mayer, Bill Stewart, Billy Martin, Mark Guiliana, Chris Dave are probably my favorites.

Although I'm definitely influenced by Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones, and Tony Williams

Wow! I didn't know Eric Harland, what a great guy...

I just watched this video of him

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/erichharlandsuperstition.html

I love this thread, I'm discovering incredible drummers, it's so great...

I would have done Excel too. How did you parse the names from the text? And how did you deal with nicknames like Ringo and Moonie?

I didn't have to parse the names, I typed the list on excel...

As fot the names Polly, well I've been around for a long time, I was an audiophile before I played music. So it's fairly easy to guess who's who, if I was not sure, then the context and the other drummers named in the same post would give me a clue... but I'm no Sherlock Holmes though...

Frank Butler influenced me along with many of the drummers already mentioned, especially
Philly Joe Jones, Max, Roy Haynes, Paul Motion. Frank could go from hands to brushes to sticks with ease. I've always been a small group drummer. Alex Acuna has been a big influence since the 70's.

Back