Whole Lotta Love (The COMPLETE and EXTENDED Isolated Drum Track)

What a find! It sounds even better this way :)

Love the psychedelic hi hat whoosh and the the 16th note flow from his ghosts and the delay (great use of delay BTW) ... and his toms ... and his interactions in the jam section and ...

Thanks Doc!

What a find! It sounds even better this way :)

Love the psychedelic hi hat whoosh and the the 16th note flow from his ghosts and the delay (great use of delay BTW) ... and his toms ... and his interactions in the jam section and ...

Thanks Doc!

indeed. i would like to hear the extended section added onto the regular released mix.

interesting that Plant's shrieks at the end were a device to cover up Bonzo's (now legendary) grunts (that helped him get through rolls),

it's become almost cliche'
we have heard him so many times that we become numb to it
we as drummers are almost programmed with a preconceived notion that John Bonham is a drum god

but my god is his groove AMAZING !!!!!

not everyone can place notes where he places them......you can't really learn that stuff...you are born with that ...it's just the way your limbs fall

quick story

when I was very young ....6 or 7 ....my brother had an old set of Slingerlands and I would bang on them and dent the heads...break the sticks and whatnot

one day he came in while I was doing this....he snatched the sticks from me....put on the 8 track of Zeppellin II..(yes I said 8 track)....left the room and locked the door taking the sticks and not saying anything but .."listen to the drummer!"

I sat and listened to the whole album in my bean bag chair

it changed my life.... literally

I became a drum addict and have been chasing that high ever since

it's become almost cliche'
we have heard him so many times that we become numb to it
we as drummers are almost programmed with a preconceived notion that John Bonham is a drum god

not everyone can place notes where he places them......you can't really learn that stuff...you are born with that ...it's just the way your limbs fall

quick story

when I was very young ....6 or 7 ....my brother had an old set of Slingerlands and I would bang on them and dent the heads...break the sticks and whatnot

one day he came in while I was doing this....he snatched the sticks from me....put on the 8 track of Zeppellin II..(yes I said 8 track)....left the room and locked the door taking the sticks and not saying anything but .."listen to the drummer!"

I sat and listened to the whole album in my bean bag chair

it changed my life.... literally

I became a drum addict and have been chasing that high ever since

good one. he got me too. "How Many More Times".

For me it was "Good Times,Bad Times",on the first Zep album.I was 14 at the time,and couldn't believe what I was hearing.I was into Tull,Hendrix,The Fudge,all of whom didn't have slugs for drummers.Then Bonham.His drum and cymbal sound,his playing,the tunes.Very powerful stuff.I wore that album out in just a few weeks,and had to get another one.

I also had me some Zep on 8 Track tape.I had a player in my 71 Dodge Challenger............aaaaahhhhh.Those were the days,before some of us called them kick drums,and rack toms.:)

Steve B

Very cool. Cracks me up listening to him yelling his head off during some of those fills! They shoulda left 'em there and given him some background vocal credit!

Very cool. Cracks me up listening to him yelling his head off during some of those fills! They shoulda left 'em there and given him some background vocal credit!

Jimmy Paige........guitars
Robert Plant.........vocals/harmonica
John Paul Jones...Bass/keyboards
John Bonham.......Drums/grunts

Steve B

This is a real gem! I'm glad you posted this because there has been something that I've always wondered about...When he goes into his drum solo part early on...you know that hi hat sound? Like it's making sound on both the down and up travel?....He's just playing with his foot, that's what it sounds like to me. I tried to get that sound a long time ago. I ended up adjusting for about an inch of slop on the top hi hat. Meaning at bottom pedal, it takes an inch of upward travel before the top cymbal starts to move. The top cymbal is literally sloshing about, and when the bottom part of the clutch comes back up to move it up...it makes the return trip not silent anymore. If you took the bottom felt off the clutch, the metal nut would strike the bottom of the hole coming up. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

This is a real gem! I'm glad you posted this because there has been something that I've always wondered about...When he goes into his drum solo part early on...you know that hi hat sound? Like it's making sound on both the down and up travel?....He's just playing with his foot, that's what it sounds like to me. I tried to get that sound a long time ago. I ended up adjusting for about an inch of slop on the top hi hat. Meaning at bottom pedal, it takes an inch of upward travel before the top cymbal starts to move. The top cymbal is literally sloshing about, and when the bottom part of the clutch comes back up to move it up...it makes the return trip not silent anymore. If you took the bottom felt off the clutch, the metal nut would strike the bottom of the hole coming up. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

the sound is just him fully releasing the hi hat so that it hits its most open point .......like he is pulling his foot completely off the plate before coming back down

it's pretty clear in the full version as well

Bonham commonly pogoed his foot on the pedal

Last edited:
This is a real gem! I'm glad you posted this because there has been something that I've always wondered about...When he goes into his drum solo part early on...you know that hi hat sound? Like it's making sound on both the down and up travel?....He's just playing with his foot, that's what it sounds like to me. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Ya I hear the same, two sounds. the down is certainly the 'chick' sound, but what I hear in the up path is kind of a slosh/suction, of the two cymbals parting. Either that, or its actually something to do with the foot pedal, hitting the base of the hihat tube on full upward travel.

On other recordings, his hardware sounds can show up, like the famous squeaky Speed King pedal on quieter parts Since I've Been Loving You.

My hi hat doesn't sound like that when I pogo the pedal. I think it's way loose on top, just for this song.

Man, that is really cool. Thanks for posting.

The grunts are funny, who knew?

The one thing that really stands out is that he's really playing "in the cracks," as they say, between straight and shuffle.

Dude was a monster.

Totally. We always knew it.......but, how good to be able to hear it front and centre?

God bless the internet. What I would have given to hear this stuff when I was in my teens.

All of these isolated tracks are awesome. Provides such a great perspective on exactly how JHB was feelin' it.

my hi-hats always sound like that, no matter what hats i'm using. i'm wondering how much of the percussion breakdown was overdubbed.

My hi hat doesn't sound like that when I pogo the pedal. I think it's way loose on top, just for this song.

I had an old Slingerland hi hat pedal that had a heavy spring in it and would sound exactly like that when riding it hard

lifting my foot off ...the spring would pop it up and would produce this sort of "pong" sound

same thing happening here

it's the exact same sound.....I'd recognize that sound anywhere

Maaaaan, that SOUND. The feel is just incredible...

Back