Drum Evaluation

Herzeleid

Hey guys, I have a video of me playing, and seeking evaluation. I have been playing for only 7-8 months on drums and really start practicing about 3 months ago and I need a heads up on whats good and what I need to work on. Thanks! I did have a drum teacher but was taken off due to the expenses

http://oy4.net/video/drums.mp4
I noticed that I was hitting a little bit hard than usual...
Don't mind my timing its all over the place in this and its sad because I stopped here and there.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of an evaluation, but I think you already brought up some points:

You were playing pretty hard (and stiff), and you were drifting in and out of time.

I think you're off to a great start, with these basic rock beats, just keep playing these beats to get a sense of timing. Try to loosen up your grip, and your arms to give yourself a little more fluidity. Once you're relaxed and more comfortable, you'll be able to play with dynamics and syncopation.

If lessons aren't realistic at this time, try checking out a book that can give you some ideas of what to practice.

I like the Ted Reed book: Syncopation for the Modern Drummer. There are plenty of threads here on people's favorite books... take a look!

Yeah, it looks like you are off to a great start.
I didn't hear any rudiments or anything except a single stroke roll, a few flams/drags and maybe a six stroke roll at the very beginning. Maybe work on incorporating doubles, paradiddles into your grooves and phrasing.

As far as time is concerned, of course a lot of that comes with practice and developing "clean" hands and feet. Including loosening up your grip as tcspears said, and playing off the surfaces more.

Nice fire extinguisher collection, btw.:D

Yeah, it looks like you are off to a great start.
I didn't hear any rudiments or anything except a single stroke roll, a few flams/drags and maybe a six stroke roll at the very beginning. Maybe work on incorporating doubles, paradiddles into your grooves and phrasing.

As far as time is concerned, of course a lot of that comes with practice and developing "clean" hands and feet. Including loosening up your grip as tcspears said, and playing off the surfaces more.

Nice fire extinguisher collection, btw.:D

Yeah thanks, I have issues using my fingers in my right hand since its actually my weal hand. I really didn't care much of timing in this video I was just jamming my heart out. I was more focused on the timing of each note on the bass drum and ECT. Did my drums sound on time on most of the part the bass drum? I'm having issues with my bass drum pedal and it makes my leg stiff and awkward when playing doubles and sometimes regular singles in a beat. I've tried adjusting the spring tension and beater angle, still same things happens. I've tried playing on different sets, and it feels a lot more comfortable and controlled. I've even record myself on those sets and the timing of each bass drum note was little more smoother.

Haha my dad owns his own fire protection business.

ok good start but here's what I've learned from the start:

Pad and Drumkit:

1. use metronome
2. practice slowly
3. learn all 26 PAS rudiments. Spend at least a week on each, and play each rudiment as written first. You can either go to vic firth or here:
http://www.pas.org/pdf/rudiment.pdf
4. Stick control - page 5.
5. I can keep going on and on, but members will have suggestion also

HAVE FUN!! It's an adventure...

You're doing great.

The stops will go away with just logging more practice time.

You're actually a very musical player already.

My advice:

- Relax the upper body. You look tight.

- Find other people to jam with.

Great job. Keep it up.

Yeah thanks, I have issues using my fingers in my right hand since its actually my weal hand. I really didn't care much of timing in this video I was just jamming my heart out. I was more focused on the timing of each note on the bass drum and ECT. Did my drums sound on time on most of the part the bass drum? I'm having issues with my bass drum pedal and it makes my leg stiff and awkward when playing doubles and sometimes regular singles in a beat. I've tried adjusting the spring tension and beater angle, still same things happens. I've tried playing on different sets, and it feels a lot more comfortable and controlled. I've even record myself on those sets and the timing of each bass drum note was little more smoother.

Haha my dad owns his own fire protection business.
Did you try adjusting the bass drum at all? Maybe angle the drum just a tiny bit towards you more? Also maybe adjusting the bass drum head tension up, or down just a bit, will give you a better response or feel. But to me, bass drum technique and etc. trumps all of that.

Ok, I'll play bad guy this time. Folks, get ready to throw your rotten fruit at me.

If you have any thoughts at this time of doing this professionally, then absolutely log serious amounts of time with All the rudiments.

If instead you are looking for the optimal path to play Music in band settings, in nonprofessional situations, then you really only need to concentrate on these rudiments at the start:

1. Single strokes - brought up to speed of course
2. Double strokes
3. Paradiddles
4. Flams
5. Various placed accents while doing the above.

Then you want to:

- Apply those around the kit
- Work on various rhythm patterns, building up hand and foot independence, and foot strength/speed.

Your ultimate music goals should be what helps you determine whether or not you need to be logging time working on 26 or 40 rudiments. That stuff gets over sold to some people.

You're doing great.

The stops will go away with just logging more practice time.

You're actually a very musical player already.

My advice:

- Relax the upper body. You look tight.

- Find other people to jam with.

Great job. Keep it up.

Thanks, I'm currently working on doubles right now up to 110 BPM 32nd notes and I'm currently at 97 BPM.

I have the 6 stroke roll down pretty well, and as well as the 5 stroke roll, but need more practice with the 5 stroke roll.
Can you send the link to the 26 rudiments by Vic firth?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ok, I'll play bad guy this time. Folks, get ready to throw your rotten fruit at me.

If you have any thoughts at this time of doing this professionally, then absolutely log serious amounts of time with All the rudiments.

If instead you are looking for the optimal path to play Music in band settings, in nonprofessional situations, then you really only need to concentrate on these rudiments at the start:

1. Single strokes - brought up to speed of course
2. Double strokes
3. Paradiddles
4. Flams
5. Various placed accents while doing the above.

Then you want to:

- Apply those around the kit
- Work on various rhythm patterns, building up hand and foot independence, and foot strength/speed.

Your ultimate music goals should be what helps you determine whether or not you need to be logging time working on 26 or 40 rudiments. That stuff gets over sold to some people.

Thank you, I can apply the rudiments I've learned around the kit fine, its just I need little more practice, as of now I'm really focused with my timing of each note I play, I'm trying to make sure everything is smoothly on time with the beat.

I really need to find a way to paradiddles faster because mine are not to fast haha.

I really need to find a way to paradiddles faster because mine are not to fast haha.

All of this is about starting with slow BPM, gradually bringing it up speed, and patience.

If my drum teacher taught me anything, it was to not practice fast out of the gate. Instead, to practice at very slow tempo, getting super comfortable, and then gradually bringing it up to speed over some number of days.

Hey guys, I have a video of me playing, and seeking evaluation. I have been playing for only 7-8 months on drums and really start practicing about 3 months ago and I need a heads up on whats good and what I need to work on.

I've been playing for about 1y2m, and can pretty much say (with confidence) that you're almost exactly as good/bad as me.

Keep up the good work.

;-)

Did you try adjusting the bass drum at all? Maybe angle the drum just a tiny bit towards you more? Also maybe adjusting the bass drum head tension up, or down just a bit, will give you a better response or feel. But to me, bass drum technique and etc. trumps all of that.

I feel like its the spring on my bass drum pedal. If I go to guitar center or the schools drum set and push down on the pedal lightly I feel there is a weight to it, if I go to my DW 5000, there is literally no weight and is very light to push down on. Adjusting the spring tension does make a difference and makes it more responsive to doubles, but still lacks control because of the lack of weight.

And yes I have tried adjusting the bass drum batter and reso and im never touching it ever again, because it really screws things up for me.

And you're right bass drum technique is also important, maybe ill post another video of me with my bass drum technique to see, but again it feels so much more comfortable and controlled on other sets I use.

It's just a bit hard and stiff, which is perfectly normal.

Simply work on the basics at a slow tempo and do your best to relax and let things flow. That is, ironically, the best shortcut there is.

Really, don't worry to much about speed. Focus on control.

Motion and tempo is related. Bigger motions aren't necessarily about playing loud. It can also be about playing slowly.

There's more than one "correct" bassdrum technique. Some use the spring tight, some loose, some actually just take it off.

I play a DW 5000 like you do(AD version). It's more or less like it came from the factory, pretty loose. I rely on rebound from the head, which is generally not too tight at all. Most older drummers I know though, both prefer straps and adjust the springs really tightly. There's a reason why drummers bring their own pedal. I guess I simply try to look at my foot technique to work the same as my hand technique.

I recommend most of my students to focus on heel down and letting it bounce at first. It gives more control and also work more different muscles.

I have a DW 5000 AD which I bought new in 1994, my first real pedal and is still a GREAT pedal.

I have toyed around with it many times over the years and here is what I found.

I like the bass drum beater to be angled around 50-60 degrees backwards when resting. That is my first adjustment. The second one is to get the spring so there is NO tension, and nothing loose. Then I'll turn the bottom around 15 full spins.

Finally, I generally play a 20" bass drum and the beater lands around 1 to 1.25" above the center of the head. Perhaps slightly adjusting the beater reach/length might help?

You can also find replacement springs, and weights you can clamp down onto the beater shaft, if you want to experiment with something different.

Good luck, you'll find the sweet spot.

Hey I just sat through it all. I'm just gonna shoot stuff out there without really reading too much on what was posted. Maybe if its repeated that means its something to work on ASAP?

1) Use your wrist on that right hand, and not the elbow too much.

2) You really should incorporate some para diddle rudiments or that six stroke roll. I saw you play like 1 second of it. Don't be afraid to throw it out there!

3) Try to play in different time sig?

4)You're not bad for play a bit more than a year. Way farther than I was at that time. I know exactly what you're going through. That whole stopping in the middle of playing! I hate it so much and it still happens to me while playing on my own. I don't know about you but I just run out of ideas. So I try to change the meter or something. You did the exact same thing haha. With playing the purdie shuffle groove.

5) Listen to what these drummers are saying, collectively their knowledge is worth more than gold. I know I learned a bunch by participating in this forum.

You'll be fine dude.

I have a DW 5000 AD which I bought new in 1994, my first real pedal and is still a GREAT pedal.

I have toyed around with it many times over the years and here is what I found.

I like the bass drum beater to be angled around 50-60 degrees backwards when resting. That is my first adjustment. The second one is to get the spring so there is NO tension, and nothing loose. Then I'll turn the bottom around 15 full spins.

Finally, I generally play a 20" bass drum and the beater lands around 1 to 1.25" above the center of the head. Perhaps slightly adjusting the beater reach/length might help?

You can also find replacement springs, and weights you can clamp down onto the beater shaft, if you want to experiment with something different.

Good luck, you'll find the sweet spot.

Yeah I think the main issue is the spring on my pedal, because comparing it to different pedals like the DW 2000 the pedal is very very light feeling and feels like there's no tension when I press down on mine with my foot. No matter how much I tighten the spring tension, still it feels light with no sense of weight or tension. So I'm guessing I'm not getting enough weight from the springs to get maintain the upcoming strokes so I lose control and it starts to get sloppy and feel awkward and poopy. I really want the DW heavy duty spring. Have you tried it? Is there a big ginormous difference?

Yeah I think the main issue is the spring on my pedal, because comparing it to different pedals like the DW 2000 the pedal is very very light feeling and feels like there's no tension when I press down on mine with my foot. No matter how much I tighten the spring tension, still it feels light with no sense of weight or tension. So I'm guessing I'm not getting enough weight from the springs to get maintain the upcoming strokes so I lose control and it starts to get sloppy and feel awkward and poopy. I really want the DW heavy duty spring. Have you tried it? Is there a big ginormous difference?
I've never heard of or felt that light feeling with the spring, and only use stock springs and other stuff. I prefer chain drive, too.

I've never heard of or felt that light feeling with the spring, and only use stock springs and other stuff. I prefer chain drive, too.

What I'm saying is when you take your foot and press down on the foot board, you feel no tension at all and it feels "light".

The other pedals compared to mine, I feel slight more tension or weight when pressing it down.

Back