LM402 Lust

Mart61

Silver Member
I can barely get a rhythm going on my Stage Customs and yet I find myself lusting after a 402. Is this wrong? Do I need to seek help?

:)

I can barely get a rhythm going on my Stage Customs and yet I find myself lusting after a 402. Is this wrong? Do I need to seek help?

:)

You don't need help. You just need to get that 402 ;)

Dooooo eeeet... I just bought one and I really see what all they hype is about. That classic rock snare sound from all those songs from the 50's-70's (don't care for the 80's) that I love. I really had to try to love the Acrolite and the LM400 but the extra body of the 402 is jut dee-lish.

If cost is an issue then you could always start with a used Acro. You can find a good deal on a 402 also. I scored mine for a steal, the deals can be found. Just go to one of those creepy English pawnbrokers with a gold tooth. THATS where you score the deals.

I sold both my modern 402s because of the placement of the snare butt. I got tired of having to order low collar snare resos. I had my eye on a reasonably priced 70s 402 but someone beat me to it. Someday soon, I will have one again.

Check Ebay often! I found my LM400 Supra there last year at this time and got a majorly screaming deal on it.

Lust is good. Drum lust is better!!

Thanks for the replies guys. Over here in Blighty even used examples seem to sell for inflated prices compared to what I've seen of USA listings on eBay.

Having looked at Ludwig's web site, is the "bog standard" LM402 the one to have, or the hammered or tube lug version?

"Bog standard" Isn't a bog what they call the toilet in your country?

Regular ol' 402 is the standard with Imperial lugs. I do like the look of the tubes though.

Thanks for the replies guys. Over here in Blighty even used examples seem to sell for inflated prices compared to what I've seen of USA listings on eBay.

Having looked at Ludwig's web site, is the "bog standard" LM402 the one to have, or the hammered or tube lug version?

I didn't know you were jolly ol' England, mate. I've heard that Luddy prices are pretty close to the stratosphere over there.

As far as what version, Get what ever one you can find. That being said, I prefer the standard lugs.

Good luck on your quest, because you will not rest until you have the Ludwig sound securely in your possession.

Really, I'm not joking!

Thanks for your input. I'll do some shopping around. I'm not the lucky sort to find a vintage 402 in a garage sale thus I'll probably end up buying new.

The standard LM402 retails for £499 in these parts but I might be able to get a bit of a deal on one from somewhere.

It's nice to have an inspiring snare but please buy it because of its sound, look, features, and because you like it.

My only advice:

If you find yourself in a position where you're about to buy a 'new' 402 for ~$700, take a step back and entertain some of the similar drums in that category. While I love my BB (LB417), I wish I had entertained a brass Dunnett 2N.

A used LM402 should ultimately cost you ~$250 + whatever the international shipping is.

You do know that this won't be the only snare lust you experience, right? I'm still waiting to find a deal on a Supra (and also waiting to have the spare cash to take advantage of the deal to begin with!) and am desperate to add a Craviotto to the the family as well. Keep your eye peeled for an Acrolite on ebay - you may find a vendor who will ship internationally - I have a '68 Acrolite and love it.

A used LM402 should ultimately cost you ~$250 + whatever the international shipping is.

Not likely. Used LM402's can be had in that $350-$500 range depending on condition and when it was built. My 1978 B/O badge still cost me $475 in awesome condition. I'm sure you can get down in the upper-$200 range but usually those drums are pitted and abused. Buyer beware.

A new one I saw on MusiciansFriend will run you into the $550 range for this size. But it would be worth it if you're looking for a drum that's just ready to play out of the box.

Don't do it Mart. It will only lead you further down the rabbit hole and you'll spend too much time on gear and not enough time on playing.

(Somebody has to at least attempt to try and save him before he is hopelessly lost to GAS)

Thanks again for the advice and especially Larry for trying to talk me out of it. :)

Hi,
I have bought both an 79 Acrolite and a 68 LM400 supra in great nick via eBay.
I use shipito as an American address, who then send it to me. This allows you to buy ones that won't ship overseas.
Just keep your eyes peeled for drums on eBay that aren't under the obvious heading. My acrolite was labelled as a Ludwig weathermaster drum, and the Supra was labelled as a Ludwig vintage 60's snare drum.
The bargains are out there.

Hi,
I have bought both an 79 Acrolite and a 68 LM400 supra in great nick via eBay.
I use shipito as an American address, who then send it to me. This allows you to buy ones that won't ship overseas.
Just keep your eyes peeled for drums on eBay that aren't under the obvious heading. My acrolite was labelled as a Ludwig weathermaster drum, and the Supra was labelled as a Ludwig vintage 60's snare drum.
The bargains are out there.

US Ebay is a good place to get cheap Supras. I had a 79/80 400 for £92. Came to about £150 after shipping and import but it's mint.

2nd hand Ludwigs in decent condition sell for as much or more than brand new snares in the UK.

My tip for a 402 is keep an eye out for the 1984 last of the Chicago models. They used bowtie lugs because they'd ran out of imperial lugs due to Monroe move. These sell dirt cheap because people confuse them for Rocker models but the 402s have a large keystone Chicago badge and the Rockers have the Rocker badge obviously.

I had two of these but sold one, the one I have belonged to Dan from Neds Atomic Dustbin. It's blue for some reason, the only reason I can think is because the chrome was awful but fortunately it's been professionally done. It sounds amazing, been my main snare for 12 years, I paid £100 for it.

You just want to buy something. Nothing really wrong with that.

But, try using your Stage Custom snare first. The new ones sound really good to me in the videos I've heard.
I've got a couple of the previous versions that sound good.
You might want to change the batter head. I also put S hoops and some PureSound wires on them.

Other than that, my first thought about your post is exactly what Bo said.
If you've got it stuck in your head that you want an LM402, you'll probably get one eventually.
So if you can swing it financially, you might as well just go ahead and get one now.

My LM402 was probably the most disappointing snare I've ever owned. No matter what I did to that thing, I just couldn't get a sound out of it that even remotely lived up to the hype, yet I LOVE my '65 Acro...

The DrumCraft 14x6.5 Aluminum I own now completely and utterly kills the Supra and cost me less money.

Back