Anyone else 'reset' their drums a lot?

Does anyone else 'like' to clean their kit, or retune their drums often? I don't mean every week or so, but let's say... once a month or so.

I still use an entry level PDP Z5, so that may be it, or maybe because I play/practice/mess around on my kit literally everyday for at least a couple hours, so maybe I'm just getting bored with the sound...(or maybe because I don't have a life????)
Or maybe it's a mental thing that when I take off the heads, wipe/dust off the stick/wooddust and regular dust and retune them (either the same or close to last time) it sounds brand new?

Cleaning?.....Nup, bona fide lazy bugger at your service. I will clean......eventually. But it pretty much comes down to when stuff is filthy, or when I can be arsed. Although, when I was gigging regularly, I'd always give them a quick once over dust with a rag.

Tuning?....Yep, constantly. Whenever I feel the drums don't sound right.....could be daily, could be weekly, could be monthly....it all depends on one solitary factor: How do they sound in any given situation?
Quite simply, why would I leave my drums sounding pox? If they're not in tune, then tune 'em up.....no matter how often that is. This one should go without saying. :)

Yeah, I'm into cleaning my drums, cymbals and hardware fairly often, but its all new so I'm really just maintaining rather than any kind of deep cleaning.

I use Pledge Multi Surface because its mild and works on absolutely EVERYTHING!.

As far as tuning, yeah, I tune my drums whenever they start to sound "out".
Its no fun but its gotta be done. :/

For tuning I tweak a little almost every time I play.

I rarely tune radically different unless it is for a musically specific situation, but from time to time I'll tune my toms a bit higher or lower than normal just to give my ears something different to listen to.

Every couple of months I like to completely tear everything down and reset completely from scratch. Sometimes I'll try out a new setup, sometimes it ends up almost exactly like it was, but it still feels nice starting fresh from time to time.

As far as cleaning I keep a cloth handy and give everything a wipe down about once a week, or whenever I notice dust or fingerprints.

i retune every friday, cause thats the day i have the most time, i dont wipe down the wraps, but i dipe down the edges, and the part of the head where the head touches, cause somehow theres always a butt load of dust inside my drums after a week. i dont reposition because i found my "sweet spot" where everything is within reach, and feels real comfortable where they're set, but occasionally i'll change the position of my kick just because it doesnt stay in its spot.

I don't tune that often just because i'm kinda lazy and it's not that easy for me to tune. I have to sit down and really work at it for about an hour to tune my 3pc setup.... (excluding snare. which i actually do tune a lot just cause my acrolite is so versatile and fun to mess around with different tunings)
I guess my question to the long-time drummers is, how long until tuning becomes easy, painless, and even fun? if ever??

I guess my question to the long-time drummers is, how long until tuning becomes easy, painless, and even fun? if ever??

I think easier and painless comes from doing it over and over and being mindful of how tuning techniques affect what you're hearing.

Watching Bob Gatzen's tuning videos was a wake up call for me, and it really re-ignited my passion for taking control of how my drums sound. Before that I'd use a particular head's qualities to get me in the ballpark of what I wanted, and used my feeble tuning skills to try and get the sound a little closer to what I wanted.

Now that I have a better understanding of how to tune more effectively I really enjoy trying new ideas and coaxing more sounds out of my drums instead of being satisfied with lucking into a decent sound.

I've never gotten bored with the sound of my drums. I always seem get bored with the setup and change it up a lot though.

Back