Thoughts... deep steel snares.

Dirtysticks

I'm in the mood to add a deep steel snareto my collection. I already have a nice selection of high end snares so I'm not gonna spend big money on a steel snare unless it's a Dunnett, Joyful Noise or a DW stainless steel and for the sound I want, there isn't enough of a difference for me to spend big money on a steel snare at this time ( but I'd spend and have spent big money on brass, bronze, copper, and wood). I want a nice meaty tone, with decent projection, good pop, and typical steel characteristics. The two I have found are a Slingerland Spirit ( made in Taiwan late eighties early nineties, in pristine condition... Looks just like a Gene Krupa Cob) chrome over steel 6.5x14 and a Ludwig Supralite 6.5x14 (also made in Taiwan, I believe).

I've tried them both I'm person and I love them both. They have a similar sound with slight differences. The Slingerland is a little more cavernous and resonant, a little more open sounding. The Ludwig is a little bit drier (most likely due to the center bead) and has a little more pop. They are both deep and meaty or high and cracky depending on tuning and they both are versatile tuning wise albeit the Slingerland has a slightly larger tuning range... Also the Slingerland will come with new die-cast hoops, new heads ( Evans 300 hazy and Evans G14), & brand new Puresound wires with quick release straps ( this would all easily cost way more than the cost of the drum itself if purchased separately).

Slingerland 6.5x14: $99.00 Ludwig 6.5x14: $150.00

Thoughts, concerns, comments, experiences with either drums, etc are welcome

Last edited:
IMO, deep snares made of any material win me over every time compared to shallow snares. I like the supralite in that size especially.

I have a 6.5 x 14 Supralite and love it especially since I changed out the heads and wires. If you can get the Slingerland with all that for 99 bucks that's a no brainer, the hoops cost that much.

I used to have a 6.5 deep Spitfire in the 70s. Does this one have 12 lugs like mine did?

No it's a 10 lugger with a fat sound. Regardless of it's "humble" designation as a basic made in Taiwan steel snare, it sounds pretty good... They both do actually!

Deep is OK, I just can't stand steel . . .too ringy.

Not overly ringy when tuned well with a Remo X14 our Evans G14. These give them a good balance and to my ears, don't require any muffling.

I don't consider 6.5" to be deep - to me it's the perfect depth giving you the best of all worlds; it can go low and fat or be tuned up high. Deep, to me, is 8"...

I don't consider 6.5" to be deep - to me it's the perfect depth giving you the best of all worlds; it can go low and fat or be tuned up high. Deep, to me, is 8"...

In the grand scheme of sizes, it is technically deep. I my collection is one of the deep ones. My deepest currently is a 7x14 maple Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature snare. The rest of my snares are between 4-6 inches deep. You're right... 6.5 is a happy medium.

I ended up getting the Slingerland 6.5x14. This is a heavy drum as well, especially when I put the die-cast hoops on it. I also like the Puresound quick release straps for the wires, so I don't have to fiddle with a screw driver when changing the bottom head ( The snare has the older butt late with the screws). I like that it's a lower priced addition, so I won't feel so worried, like I sometimes do when I take my higher level snares to certain gigs. I consider this to be a nice addition to my snare arsenal.

It sounds great for the sound I wanted it to fill. Good pop, nice tone, nice amount of brightness but still a little warm due to the G14, inexpensive, 6.5 depth, open sound. The die-cast hoops gave it a lot more pop, but it is still got some meat to the tone. The Evans G14 curbs some of the ring and leaves just the right amount. The Puresound wires give more sensitivity as well. I like that it a lower priced addition, so I won't feel so worried, like I sometimes do when I take my higher level snares to certain gigs. The steel shell does have a certain characteristic sound that I didn't have in collection. Not better or worst, just different and has it's place in certain types of music that I play or whenever I want a certain sound. It's great to have choices!

I like 13x7 snares. I feel they give me a deep sound but not too boxey. I've never played a deep metal snare. I fear they will have too much ring.

I'm in the mood to add a deep steel snareto my collection. I already have a nice selection of high end snares so I'm not gonna spend big money on a steel snare unless it's a Dunnett, Joyful Noise or a DW stainless steel and for the sound I want, there isn't enough of a difference for me to spend big money on a steel snare at this time ( but I'd spend and have spent big money on brass, bronze, copper, and wood). I want a nice meaty tone, with decent projection, good pop, and typical steel characteristics. The two I have found are a Slingerland Spirit ( made in Taiwan late eighties early nineties, in pristine condition... Looks just like a Gene Krupa Cob) chrome over steel 6.5x14 and a Ludwig Supralite 6.5x14 (also made in Taiwan, I believe).

I've tried them both I'm person and I love them both. They have a similar sound with slight differences. The Slingerland is a little more cavernous and resonant, a little more open sounding. The Ludwig is a little bit drier (most likely due to the center bead) and has a little more pop. They are both deep and meaty or high and cracky depending on tuning and they both are versatile tuning wise albeit the Slingerland has a slightly larger tuning range... Also the Slingerland will come with new die-cast hoops, new heads ( Evans 300 hazy and Evans G14), & brand new Puresound wires with quick release straps ( this would all easily cost way more than the cost of the drum itself if purchased separately).

Slingerland 6.5x14: $99.00 Ludwig 6.5x14: $150.00

Thoughts, concerns, comments, experiences with either drums, etc are welcome

Those are both great drums,but take a look at a vintage 80's Tama Kingbeat or Powerline in 6.5x14.

I;m no big fan of steel snares,but I have an 80's Kingbeat and it is a monster.One piece shell,spun heavy gauge COS.The Kingbeat has rollers and extended snares and diecast rims.The rimshot is so loud and cutting it sounds like gunfire fron a distance.

But the drum also has great warmth and sensitivity and a pretty wide tuning range.Tama is often overlooked,but they have been making great snare drums for years ,and still do today.

Steve B

Those are both great drums,but take a look at a vintage 80's Tama Kingbeat or Powerline in 6.5x14.

I;m no big fan of steel snares,but I have an 80's Kingbeat and it is a monster.One piece shell,spun heavy gauge COS.The Kingbeat has rollers and extended snares and diecast rims.The rimshot is so loud and cutting it sounds like gunfire fron a distance.

But the drum also has great warmth and sensitivity and a pretty wide tuning range.Tama is often overlooked,but they have been making great snare drums for years ,and still do today.

Steve B

I actually used to have a 6.5x14 King Beat, that I had to sell a little while ago to get money to pay for something important. I agonized over having to sell that one. I had found another like it for $199.00 but didn't want to spend that much for a steel snare when I also had found the Slingerland and Ludwig for less. I also wanted one that wasn't as loud, so I could use it in smaller venues and church settings without having to dial down my playing as much. I do plan on eventually getting that snare back in my arsenal though.

The Slingerland that I got has good projection and crack. It will definitely cut through the mix well, and keep it's body and tone, but it isn't as ear splitting as the King Beat. I have a rehearsal tomorrow night in a big warehouse type room and I can't wait to hear how it fills the space.

Back