Hihat Problem...

ledzep2

I have a Yamaha Hihat Stand that came with my kit (Maple Absolute Noveau). When I attach the clutch to the rod, I am able to adjust the hihat (how close the 2 cymbals are together)... However, when I hit the pedal down, not only does the hihats close together, the pedal does not stop and I am able to hit the pedal with my foot... Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it would be welcome.

Also, when i hit the pedal, the rod does not move with it.

Below is a video on youtube showing the hihat stand and the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItnkyULdr8

Thanks

It just looks to me as if the clutch wing nut has not been done up tightly enough? It seems that the rod is slipping through the clutch when you depress the pedal?

Edit: no, I'm going with the others - rods not screwed together.

Last edited:
The top rod that the clutch attaches to has come unscrewed from the lower portion. Spin the rod, clutch, or top cymbal clockwise til the rod wants to stop.

Is the rod screwed together?

1. your hat cymbals are very far apart - try maybe 1 inch separation to start
2. tighten the wing nut on the upper cymbal very hard - no slip
2. you can adjust spring tension on your foot pedal. maybe yours is set really different than most

it looks like a very nice hihat stand and drums, have fun.

Don't know how anyone can miss the fact that the rod 'is' connected and the clutch is slipping.

OP needs to crank harder on the clutchs wing screw. Rod might have oil, or something slippery on it, also a good idea to lube the clutch wing nut for better holding power.

Not all hi-hat rods are the same diameter. Your clutch looks like it's made for a larger rod ...... like a Gibraltar hi-hat. Yamaha has a smaller diameter rod, and your clutch might not have enough grip designed into it, to grab and hold tight.​

Edit: After reconsidering and another viewing, I think I was mistaken. Carry on men.

Last edited:
The rod is not threaded into the receiver nut inside the down tube and the end of the rod is sitting on top of the nut without actually engaging.

When you depress the footboard with your foot, the rod and the top cymbal go down until the top cymbal rests on the bottom cymbal. At that point the lower half of the mechanism continues to descend along with the foot pedal while the rod and the top cymbal stay in place against the bottom cymbal. When you lift the footboard, the lower half of the mechanism raises up with the footboard, and at the point that the nut on top of the lower half touches the bottom of the rod, it begins to push up against the rod holding the top cymbal and the top cymbal raises once more.

Loosen the wing nut holding the upper tube of the hi hat stand and pull the upper tube off. You will then see the nut sticking out of the bottom half of the stand. Screw the rod into the nut, replace the top tube, and then put the top cymbal back onto the rod. If you then tighten the clutch wing nut onto the rod you can snug up the threads on the rod by turning the clutch clockwise.

The rod is not threaded into the receiver nut inside the down tube and the end of the rod is sitting on top of the nut without actually engaging.

When you depress the footboard with your foot, the rod and the top cymbal go down until the top cymbal rests on the bottom cymbal. At that point the lower half of the mechanism continues to descend along with the foot pedal while the rod and the top cymbal stay in place against the bottom cymbal. When you lift the footboard, the lower half of the mechanism raises up with the footboard, and at the point that the nut on top of the lower half touches the bottom of the rod, it begins to push up against the rod holding the top cymbal and the top cymbal raises once more.

Loosen the wing nut holding the upper tube of the hi hat stand and pull the upper tube off. You will then see the nut sticking out of the bottom half of the stand. Screw the rod into the nut, replace the top tube, and then put the top cymbal back onto the rod. If you then tighten the clutch wing nut onto the rod you can snug up the threads on the rod by turning the clutch clockwise.

Yes. A good, succinct explanation of exactly what is happening.

GeeDeeEmm

Well come on, OP, put us out of our misery. What is the problem?

?

Are you watching the same vid?

The rod is clearly attached, you can clearly see the rod moving in conjunction with the foot board. Weather or not the top rod is completely tight into the bottom rod is not the issue, nor the problem.

What's not tight is the clutch and its what's slipping.

As Harry noted in post# 8 the clutch is not OEM YAMAHA and so could be maxed out and not gripping the rod.

I guess you didn't follow my explanation. Watch the clip again- you can clearly hear the click sound when the footboard comes back up and the nut hits the bottom of the rod, at which point the rod and the top cymbal begin to rise again.

Agreed with last comment. You can see on the video at 0:50 thst the pedal is dropping but cymbals are not tightening (pedal continues to drop). Then it makes that clunking sound when coming back up.

Remove both cymbals and remove upper tube. You will see that the upper rod is not screwed in to the lower rod. Screw it together reassemble and enjoy.

Just to echo some of the other responses, this could be one (or both) of these:

1. The rod is loose or has come unattached. I used to have a cheapo HH stand and the rod would always loosen up by the end of a 4 hour gig and I'd end up stomping on the pedal.

2. The clutch might be too big for the rod. When I was in music school, I found that my clutch was too small for all the gilbraltar hardware they used, and had to buy a bigger clutch. I tried to use the bigger clutch on my HH stand and it had about the same reaction that you're seeing.

let us know what you find!

Back