'Rock' line crashes...Heavier or higher pitch?

TheIronCobr4

Hey everyone. Looking into a heavy weighted crash and came across the AA Rock series in Sabian and was wondering what the name meant. Is it a higher pitch for the music or a heavier weight for the music? Both? I want an 18" and 20" crash of heavier weight (I have those sizes in medium weight AA crashes) but more importantly need a 20" crash thats heavier. I would like to stay Sabian. Anyone have any suggestions?

Generally speaking, "Rock" means heavier than medium weight, and also generally speaking, they pitch a little higher than a similarly sized medium crash.

All other things aside, heavier cymbals = higher pitch. Heavier cymbals will also project and cut through more than thin cymbals. Durability wise though they are exactly the same as any other cymbal - abuse them and they will break.

Sabian AA Rock crashes are great, but also look at the AAX Metal crashes, Stage and -Xplosion crashes as well.

All other things aside, heavier cymbals = higher pitch. Heavier cymbals will also project and cut through more than thin cymbals. Durability wise though they are exactly the same as any other cymbal - abuse them and they will break.

Sabian AA Rock crashes are great, but also look at the AAX Metal crashes, Stage and -Xplosion crashes as well.

Thanks for the info you guys I really appreciate it!

As for those 3 lines, they are all heavier weighted? I have 14" Stage Hihats which a love dearly and a 22" AA Rock Ride. What are the Metal and Xplosion crashes like? Are the Stage and AA Rock lines better to look into as far as complimenting my cymbals?

Thanks for the info you guys I really appreciate it!

As for those 3 lines, they are all heavier weighted? I have 14" Stage Hihats which a love dearly and a 22" AA Rock Ride. What are the Metal and Xplosion crashes like? Are the Stage and AA Rock lines better to look into as far as complimenting my cymbals?

metalx are medium heavy cymbals with really big bells = lots of hi-frecuncies , proyection , volume and cutting power
xplotion are medium-thin cymblas that as their name implies , they explode very fast and you don't need to hit them heavy to do so , but they don't have much proyection , they explode and then get out of the way

Actually I own an AAX-Plosion crash and they have tonnes of projection, they are fantastic cymbals.

AAX-plosion crashes explode! Thus the term.. yadayada. I always thought of them as loud fast crashes personally.

I'm glad to hear the AAXplosion crashes have good feedback but what about the weight? Are they thicker then your standard AA crash? I need some extra bit of insurance. I've been adjusting my technique but the fact is I play in hard rock and heavy metal bands and I need to feel safe riding my crash. I dont want to buy a 20" AAXplosion for it to crack easily.

I bought a aa metal-x crash recently and it is nice. It feels a little heavy at first but sounds great with a band.

I'm glad to hear the AAXplosion crashes have good feedback but what about the weight? Are they thicker then your standard AA crash? I need some extra bit of insurance. I've been adjusting my technique but the fact is I play in hard rock and heavy metal bands and I need to feel safe riding my crash. I dont want to buy a 20" AAXplosion for it to crack easily.

Sorry to push this and I know its annoying I posted this thread in the wrong section (total accident idk why I was so out of it) but I need help. XD

Back