Ludwig Standard bass pedal?

opentune

Platinum Member
I came across a Ludwig Standard Bass drum pedal shown below. I know Standards were more 'economy' line Ludwigs of the late 60's (but had same shells).
So would this pedal be comparable to a Ludwig Speed King pedal....or sub-standard (pun)?
Anybody used this pedal? I've tried a Speed King and quite like them and was wondering if this could substitute. Idea of its worth?

ludstd_zps967c6e57.jpg

I'm not up to par on it's worth, only it wouldn't be worth much to me. It's completely different than the speed king. The speed king is a compression spring( When you push down on the pedal it pushes down on the 2 springs) when you let up, the springs push the beater back to it's starting point. The standard pedal is an expansion spring. (When you push down on the pedal it stretches the spring) when you let up it pulls the beater back to it's starting point. So one spring gets smashed, and the other gets stretched. My vote would be sub standard. I grew up playing a standard kit, but I had a speed king pedal. They were great pedals in their day. Some say they still are.

The Standard shells were the same quality as the more expensive Ludwigs... but the hardware was not. Even the lugs were cheaper quality. The stands and pedals were pretty typical entry-level stuff for the time. You can buy a better pedal for under $50 today than that... only worth it to complete a mint-condition kit.

I remember when they came out. A lower price point not as good as the Speed King. Ludwig, with their Ludwig Standard line, also had a deal with Paiste to produce a mid-line series branded by both Paiste and Ludwig Drums. I still have one of those in my archives.

Thanks for the info. The mechanics (spring) looked very similar to a Speed King but I guess not identical.

I had one of those Paiste Ludwig standard cymbals. It was by far the worst Paiste I ever played.

Thanks for the info. The mechanics (spring) looked very similar to a Speed King but I guess not identical.

I had one of those Paiste Ludwig standard cymbals. It was by far the worst Paiste I ever played.

That's why mine is in the archives. ;-)

Didn't the Speed King have an internal compression spring, and the one shown has an external expansion spring?

Didn't the Speed King have an internal compression spring, and the one shown has an external expansion spring?

yes. I think he must be confusing the speed king with another pedal. They don't look anything alike.

sorry, having not owned one, guess i'm confused. below is a speed king, where are the springs you refer to? inside the cam?
from the outside, both pedals appear generally the same to me, at least the mechanism driving the beater. thanks.

Unknown_zpsd2b317b4.jpeg

Back