Best drum kit all budgets discussion

Re: **OFFICIAL best drum kit all budgets discussion**

I play all kinds of kits.
I play everything from a Pearl Rhythm Traveler to a vintage Gretsch. (Look at my profile)
Every kit that I own has it's own personality.
I like every drum that I own for what it is.
There is no "Best" to me in any specific shell type, price range, drummer level ranking, etc.

Wow.. Whats with all the flaming?!?!

Its called best drum kits - all budgets DISCUSSION surely that alone should allow people to see its meant to be an informal debate of personal opinion, so experienced people can put forward their ideas of what they feel are great kits for their prices, for all different playing levels, so that maybe some new drummers or people looking to change kit might get an idea of which direction to go...

You lot are all acting like this guy just spat in your face...

We weren't flaming, We were just kidding around.
There were several good points made about kits.
Every day there is a "What----Kit--- Should I Buy?" Post here.
_____________________Cymbal
_____________________Heads
_____________________Pedal

The point is that something that I think is great may be crap to someone else.

I like the posts where someone asks "I have a _____ kit, What are the best heads for it?"

The best head costs more than £20 and you don't find the number in a phone box.

Oh right, drums. Sorry there, I wasn't following...

Every kit that I own has it's own personality.
I like every drum that I own for what it is.

I can't contribute to the main theme of the thread because I have no idea, although Wy always talked about Sonor making the best of the pro kits.

Still, Bob, I found that an interesting comment and I relate. I love my RT. On one level they are crap little drums, but on another level they have their own eccentric charm. I even liked the incredibly beaten up Pearl kit I hired for a year at a rehearsal studio a few years ago. I loved the challenge of quickly tuning and adjusting it into (near) respectability and leaving it in better shape than when I found it.

There are lots of ways to enjoy drums without blowing a lot of dough.

Its called best drum kits - all budgets DISCUSSION surely that alone should allow people to see its meant to be an informal debate of personal opinion, so experienced people can put forward their ideas of what they feel are great kits for their prices, for all different playing levels, so that maybe some new drummers or people looking to change kit might get an idea of which direction to go...

You lot are all acting like this guy just spat in your face...
I hear you loud and clear. He was not asking for people to tell him what he should buy, he was just asking people what they thought. The steady Edy's around here can be a little insensitive at times. They get very tired of hearing the same old stuff. That is what these forums are most of the time, the same old stuff. If you don't want to contribute to some new guys question then just ignore it. Don't make him feel like a jerk. Where are the mods when you need them. They should be more present. The amount of posts you have does not give you the right to be able to treat people the way you want. We are all drummers after all. It is a drum community. This is supposed to be a place to be able to come and not feel like crap after. IMO

All the drums I have ever played are/were made of plywood, and I liked 'em all. I suggest getting one of those. Peace and goodwill.

Budget..... Gretsch Blackhawk
Intermediate.... Gretsch Catalina Club
Semi-pro....Gretsch Renown Maple/Gretsch New Classic
Best Ply... Gretsch USA Custom
Best High End Custom....Guru KIS Kit

You know I'm right.

What about the new Yamaha Pheonix drums for upper limit? They are rather expensive

Steely Dan's drummer Keith Carlock uses them they look good up close too. He is freaking awesome to watch too.

What about the new Yamaha Pheonix drums for upper limit? They are rather expensive

Steely Dan's drummer Keith Carlock uses them they look good up close too. He is freaking awesome to watch too.

YES! Keith Carlock is sick. I've never really heard the Pheonix kit sound any sort of special though.. Its just eh for me.

Budget - anything that holds together (they're all going to suck!)
Inter - mapex QR / pearl forum
The next one - sonor force 3007 / tama superstar
One up from that - DW Performance series / Mapex Saturn
Top end - sonor SQ2 / DW Collectors / something custom to get what YOU want.

For the record, I think most people have spent more time bagging on the concept of this list than just shutting up and writing. Everyone has their own favourite stuff right, just write it down and go with the flow!

For the record, I think most people have spent more time bagging on the concept of this list than just shutting up and writing. Everyone has their own favourite stuff right, just write it down and go with the flow!
Amen brother haha I just checked out the saturns man they are nice

Budget..... Gretsch Blackhawk
Intermediate.... Gretsch Catalina Club
Semi-pro....Gretsch Renown Maple/Gretsch New Classic
Best Ply... Gretsch USA Custom
Best High End Custom....Guru KIS Kit

You know I'm right.
Glad to see you're not completely Gretsch focussed Grunt : ) : ) : )

Good list and well said. Two thumbs up.

Wow, this post received 35 reply's!!!!

Back