Got called for a Session, YAY! Gear Upgrade?

wsabol

Gold Member
So, most of the stuff I'm playing now is funk, or folk-alternative stuff. And I've been happy with my gear, namely my Bosphorus Wide Ride and an '76 Acrolite. I also have a 14x5.5 keller maple, and a 14x5 vintage Gretsch COB that I use too.

But I just got called to do a session for a southern rock group. And I when I think about the tone I want for that type of music, That Bosphorus and that Acro are still the most appropriate pieces I think I have for that genre, but it isn't close the what I hear in my head. I'd be much happier walking in with an A Medium Ride and Bonham-outfitted Supra.

I just a played some good paid gigs this past weekend, and this is a paid session, so I have some money to upgrade, but if I can only choose one (which may be the case), I'm not sure which to go for.

Outside/After the session, the A Medium Ride would likely frequent my gigging setup more than the Supra would, so that makes me lean toward a ride upgrade.. but let's face it, the Supra is a Supra, there's a kind of 'duh' factor there that I can't escape.

What would you aim for first?

the A Medium Ride? (or just a generally more 'rock'-y ride than the Bosphorus)

or

the 14x6.5 Supra?

Last edited:
they are not hiring your gear my man.... they are hiring you because they did the way you play.

I think the gear you mentioned will be absolutely fine

unless you are like me and just need a tiny excuse and a slight nudge to get some more gear .

I personally would probably go buy gear.... but that is me.... that being said if you drop the tuning of your snare a bit what you have would suffice .... this is assuming that you crank it a bit to play funk

if you are going to get the gear....

that ride you have is a pretty damn sweet one.... go for the snare first

I think your Keller shell or your Acro would do just fine if you tune them appropriately, but I would definitely look into a 'pingier' ride for something like that. I think you hit the nail on the head with the A Medium for this application.

they are not hiring your gear my man.... they are hiring you because they did the way you play.

I think the gear you mentioned will be absolutely fine

True, but under the microscope of the studio, I feel a responsibility to have the 'right' gear if at all possible. It makes the mixing engineer's job a little easier and shows a little professionalism... it'd be nice to have this in my corner.

unless you are like me and just need a tiny excuse and a slight nudge to get some more gear .

haha, how'd you know?

that ride you have is a pretty damn sweet one.... go for the snare first

ah, yes, it is a damn sweet ride. 22"er, $100, off craigslist.

It'd be nice if I had another staple gigging ride so I'm not beating this one on every single gig I play :)

I think you hit the nail on the head with the A Medium for this application.

Thanks. The new A series design is an infinite improvement over the old, I'm digging it.

So that's 1 vote snare, 1 vote ride.. slatemate.. thanks guys

Last edited:
You can never have too many cymbals.... Scratch that; you can never have too many snares.... Ahhh what am I saying? Get them both. If you only have the money for one flip a coin, and then be angry at the decision the coin made for you and get the exact opposite. At least that's what I always do.

I'm leaning toward the ride. I've got to keep that Wide Ride healthy. I'll be able to use the A when I need the projection and where I can sacrifice the tone.

Plus, I can't be using it on every gig... I might get tired of it. HA

The Supra evades my gasp once more.... maybe I'll sell something to make up the difference... bahumbug

Make sure you are comfortable with whatever gear you're using for the session. What I mean by that is the A Medium Ride will be a "stiffer" cymbal to play than your Bosphorus. If the rebound or sound of the ride throws you off while you're playing, or the technique required to play such a sewer lid to get a pleasing sound evades you, it would do you more harm than good to acquire it for the session. Just like if you were a guitar player and you just got a new guitar for a session that "plays stiff," it would throw a wrench in the mix of an experience which you want all of your focus to be on your performance. If you get the ride, get comfortable with it before the session. Also, if you REALLY like the ride, you don't want your time playing the session thinking, "Oh man, I really like this ride. I really like this ride. I really like this...what? Did I just miss the fill into the chorus?!?!?" :)

Make sure you are comfortable with whatever gear you're using for the session. What I mean by that is the A Medium Ride will be a "stiffer" cymbal to play than your Bosphorus. If the rebound or sound of the ride throws you off while you're playing, or the technique required to play such a sewer lid to get a pleasing sound evades you, it would do you more harm than good to acquire it for the session. Just like if you were a guitar player and you just got a new guitar for a session that "plays stiff," it would throw a wrench in the mix of an experience which you want all of your focus to be on your performance. If you get the ride, get comfortable with it before the session. Also, if you REALLY like the ride, you don't want your time playing the session thinking, "Oh man, I really like this ride. I really like this ride. I really like this...what? Did I just miss the fill into the chorus?!?!?" :)

Not calling you a liar at all but I have never had this problem with rides. I can always seem to get comfortable with rides really fast, same goes with toms, and bass drums. However snares, hats, and crashes always take me a while to adjust to. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

Not calling you a liar at all but I have never had this problem with rides. I can always seem to get comfortable with rides really fast, same goes with toms, and bass drums. However snares, hats, and crashes always take me a while to adjust to. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

Its probably different people, depending on what kind of ride you are used to. I'm used to soft playing, washy rides. So when I'm on a heavy or a super dry, it throws me off.

Hats, crashes, toms, bass drums, I can handle. Snares, rides, and pedals always screw with me if they are tuned way off of what I'm used to.

I think that A Medium will be fine though Caddy. I do like the sound, but I have my eye on it for more a practicality reason more than a "I love this ride sound" reason. I've played a few at guitar center, and they aren't too stiff to me.

So, most of the stuff I'm playing now is funk, or folk-alternative stuff. And I've been happy with my gear, namely my Bosphorus Wide Ride and an '76 Acrolite. I also have a 14x5.5 keller maple, and a 14x5 vintage Gretsch COB that I use too.

But I just got called to do a session for a southern rock group. And I when I think about the tone I want for that type of music, That Bosphorus and that Acro are still the most appropriate pieces I think I have for that genre, but it isn't close the what I hear in my head. I'd be much happier walking in with an A Medium Ride and Bonham-outfitted Supra.

I just a played some good paid gigs this past weekend, and this is a paid session, so I have some money to upgrade, but if I can only choose one (which may be the case), I'm not sure which to go for.

Outside/After the session, the A Medium Ride would likely frequent my gigging setup more than the Supra would, so that makes me lean toward a ride upgrade.. but let's face it, the Supra is a Supra, there's a kind of 'duh' factor there that I can't escape.

What would you aim for first?

the A Medium Ride? (or just a generally more 'rock'-y ride than the Bosphorus)

or

the 14x6.5 Supra?

Upgrade the cymbal. That acro can get more than "Bonhan" enough for the gig with the appropriate heads and tuning

I didn't realize that suggesting to somebody that they should feel comfortable with the gear they play would possibly be grounds for being called a liar. My apologies for spreading brazen lies, and congratulations on your ability to seamlessly transition from playing a 16" thin ride to a 30 medium ride without any change in your technique or stick choice. You are truly a consummate drummer!

I'd go for the ride. That way you have a darker ride and a brighter one to cover more ground. I don't care for the sound of aluminum snares and you already have an acro so I'd say pass on the Supra.

Caddy, stop telling lies or I'll go get Larry and make him give you a stern talking to.

I agree, go for the ride. If I were you, I'd take all your snares with, play with tuning, and find one that fits. Snares are pretty versatile, but a cymbal does exactly what's on the tin.

Not calling you a liar at all but I have never had this problem with rides.

You must not have played very many different weights and sizes of rides. My 24" is definitely a MUCH different feel than my 20". It's thinner and has a lot more give to it. There's much less stick rebound and it sways slower when I crash on it.

Just like if you were a guitar player and you just got a new guitar for a session that "plays stiff," it would throw a wrench in the mix of an experience which you want all of your focus to be on your performance.

I've never heard of a guitar that 'plays stiff'. That just means it's set up poorly, but I get what you're saying. I've you've been playing a Les Paul exclusively and you pick up a Strat to go do a session, you're gonna' run into trouble. Completely different feel.

You make a good point, Caddy.

the other thing is that a nice used A Zildjian ride is super cheap. i see them all over used sites.

Yes, I could get a vintage or used A for cheap, but I loath the old A design, and vintage A's are hit and miss with me, especially at medium weights and up.

The new A design is really the direction I want to go.

Ordered one from cymbalsonly today! Tony will get it in on Friday and send it off to me.

Last edited:
Back