my rudiments suck, have I missed out the fundemental part of being a drummer?

If you're so smart, could you do me a big favor and read the rules? Your cursing and personal attacks aren't allowed here. I'm no member of Mensa, but I know a derailed thread when I see one. Get nice or get gone. And learn to spell "douchebag."

Let's be clear: you are in violation of the posted rules. Cease and desist your ways or be shown the egress. That is all.

Last edited:
If you're so smart, could you do me a big favor and read the rules? Your cursing and personal attacks aren't allowed here. I'm no member of Mensa, but I know a derailed thread when I see one. Get nice or get gone. And learn to spell "douchebag."

Hey, I didn't derail it. Talk to the one who did.

Let's be clear: you are in violation of the posted rules. Cease and desist your ways or be shown the egress. That is all.

All I'm asking is a little understanding. If someone taunts and derides , they're allowed to get away with it -- but if someone retorts, they're at fault? Something is very wrong there. Ban the instigator and I promise you'l never hear an off color word from me. But if someone insults me and my family, I will let them have it. That is all.

All I'm asking is a little understanding. If someone taunts and derides , they're allowed to get away with it -- but if someone retorts, they're at fault? Something is very wrong there. Ban the instigator and I promise you'l never hear an off color word from me. But if someone insults me and my family, I will let them have it. That is all.

In your first post in this thread you were cursing, and by your second post you were insulting someone. I'll be happy to ban the instigator.

In your first post in this thread you were cursing, and by your second post you were insulting someone. I'll be happy to ban the instigator.

Dude, I wasn't cussing anyone, I was using a euphemism about grooving like a ***********. Is that really too offensive?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to! But I was a bit shocked what was happening to this thread so I stayed away from the discussion...

With 2 years into drums, I'm extremely happy that after a few... was it weeks or months?... after I started with drums I dared to start working on rudiments and couldn't be happier. They are the alphabet to be learned in order to form letters, then sentences, then... (hopefully interesting) novels.

The rudiments all feel different and have to be worked on separately to get the hang of them - it's like learning to pronounce individual letters, then words. I see quite some sense in learning the rudiments, at least a good deal of those 26/40.

EDIT
-- Hey, PFOG beat me to it! I was too slow, haha.

Thanks for sorting that out, DogBreath.

Rudiments are the building blocks. They train your mind and hands in combinations of movements that you can use when you play. Once learned, they become a part of your playing arsenal. They also fall into the background, becoming more instinctual than constantly referred to.
If, when you're playing, you become confused at what to do next, lose yourself going in and out of fills, or find certain beats too complicated to understand, it's possible that a focus on rudiments can help straighten that stuff out.

When I moved to Germany from the U.S. four years ago, I had to learn the language, so I went to school or it. A friend of mine who has been living here a little longer, but hasn't gone to school, really suffers trying to speak German. I can pick it up pretty well, and it gets better every day. I credit learning the fundamentals...rudiments...of the language. Drums are a lot like that to me.

...and don't try to take them all on in one shot. Pick one. Do it until you not only get it, but understand it. If you take them on one at a time you'll have a much easier time with them.

Rudiments are the building blocks. They train your mind and hands in combinations of movements that you can use when you play.

Yes, I agree, rudiments are also very useful for coordination exercises, where you can apply them using all 4 limbs around the whole kit, some nice and creative patterns can be the outcome of such exercises, and that's a bonus :)

I certainely haven't learned all 40 rudiments, but even these days, my warm on the kit (or pad) involve playing a random combination of rudiments.

When I moved to Germany from the U.S. four years ago, I had to learn the language, so I went to school or it. A friend of mine who has been living here a little longer, but hasn't gone to school, really suffers trying to speak German. I can pick it up pretty well, and it gets better every day. I credit learning the fundamentals...rudiments...of the language. Drums are a lot like that to me.
Du kannst das Gegenteil von mir tun und an einem deutschen Drummer-Forum teilnehmen :)!

I like the thought that rudiments are gymnastics for the hands, fitness exercises for the
drummer. It's like some exercises a sportsman will do - some of it will enter his
actual playing directly, while others don't have much to do with what he actually does
in a game, but helps him greatly nonetheless.

Glad this thread has been fixed, never saw anything that bad on here before ever...

Just talking about rudiments gets me excited and psyched to play! (sad I know).

I think rudiments are one of those things that you can't see how they will work or help you when you first study them but, once you start getting them up to speed you can't imagine playing ANYTHING without them.

Nearly everything I do is based around them and I also blame love for them for the downfall of my single stroke rolls.

Not as fast as they once were, 'cos I feel I get everything I need from rudiments.

Has this happened to any of you's?

You haven't been around long enough Chunky! That's nothing compared to some of the things that have gone down here. Often involving me, admittedly.

One of my biggest regrets in my decade of playing (as of next month!) is that I never pursued more than just the basic rudiments - singles, doubles, flams and paradiddles. I wouldn't want anybody else to make that mistake because rudiments are more than just patterns; they are fantastic catalysts to improving hand technique.

That's not to say that you can't have great technique without the more complex rudiments - far from it - but practicing them consistently is certainly a great way to develop both a sense of musical application and enough technique to express those musical applications.

I also have a strong belief in a defined difference between rudiments and licks. Rudiments are good, licks are bad. Rudiments give you endless tools that learning licks does not. I hope nobody confuse the two!

Nearly everything I do is based around them and I also blame love for them for the downfall of my single stroke rolls.

Not as fast as they once were, 'cos I feel I get everything I need from rudiments.

Has this happened to any of you's?
Well on one hand I think I know what you mean, but on the other hand:
The single stroke roll absolutely is a rudiment! And if you're working
your rudiments, this should include the single stroke roll actually!

I've proper got into me rudiments lately. I'm 2 years into this part of my drumming journey and until recently I'd almost totally focussed on grooves. I've been in a band almost from the start so it was a priority to play music. But lately I can see where my lack of rudiments is holding me back, so I've started on a campaign that'll see me focussing on singles, doubles, paradiddles and, for now, the 6 stroke roll. Also, I've discovered I love doing rudiments as left hand lead - it seems to build up strength and parity very quickly for me right now.

Back