22 x 20 Bass Drum

I have recently purchased a Meridian Birch drum kit which has a 22 x 20 Bass Drum, i could have went smaller but why not!

Whats everyones take on bass drum sizes?
Does size matter? (no pun intended)

It seems 20x22 and 18x22 are popular sizes right now. Unless your buying a custom kit you typically get what's offered. How do like your kick?

22x20 too deep for my tastes. I have a 22x18 and whilst I can live with it, even that's pushing my tolerance.

If I had a choice I'd roll with 16" depth with 18", 20" and 22" drums and probably 14" depth with 24" and 26" kicks.

I have a 22 x20 on my catalina club mod.

Pros: Loud and can project very well and sound amazing when tunned properly.

Cons: Not very versatile. Playing at lower volumes yields kind of flappy sounds unless you tune the drum very high. There's a lot of air in this drum to be moved so it requires some power and the action is kind of mushy.

I'm currently looking into something like a 20 x 16 myself after playing the 22 x 20 for the past 3 or 4 years.

Ill tell you tomorrow when I pick it up from the music shop :)

Congrats on your new kit. Tomorrow should be a fun day for you. I've never played a 20x22 myself. I have an 18x22 and it is one of the gems of my kit. Let's see some pics when you get your new set.

I have both a 16x22 and a 14x22 ... my personal fave is the 14" deep, quick and punchy!

I had a SONOR 17.5x20 for a time and I liked it well enough but even so 16x20 would have been more to my liking
so I sold it. To each his own and peace and goodwill to all, but the trend to the longer kicks is just not for me.

It's been a while since I put one up. Since you are buying a Mapex and all. I love mine. :)

1210.jpg

Remember guys. You can always make a long bass shorter, but you can't make a shorter bass longer. Or like we say in the trade, "Better looking at it then for it" :)

I prefer 22"x16", I get a more responsive, articulated, more focussed sound from shallow shell than deeper shell, but it's a matter of choice, depending on what you're looking for in terms of sound versus playability....

Doesn't really apply here Sticks. You don't normally misplace a few inches of your bass drum.
Thanks for the laugh Kenny.

It seems 20x22 and 18x22 are popular sizes right now. Unless your buying a custom kit you typically get what's offered. How do like your kick?

I agree especially the 18x22, have become the "Standard" on many entry and intermediate drum kits, that can't be customized.....

Anyway the main difference is that the bigger the head diameter the lower pitch the drum, More importantly, the longer the shell, the louder it'll be. So in comparison a 20x22 will be louder then a 18x22.

Doesn't really apply here Sticks. You don't normally misplace a few inches of your bass drum.
Thanks for the laugh Kenny.
Larry. You of all people should get this. When you measure a long run of wire to run in a pipe, you always make sure you have enough, and even add a little extra just in case. If you have a little too much you can cut it off. If you are short, the whole length of wire is useless. Same thing here. If I decide one day I want my bass drums shorter, I just take them in and they cut off a few inches. If I buy a whimpy little 14, or 16, and wish it was longer, well too bad. I will be looking for something I don't have. It applies perfectly. Stay with the tour boys. :)

Remember guys. You can always make a long bass shorter, but you can't make a shorter bass longer. Or like we say in the trade, "Better looking at it then for it" :)

Hey Sticks, we all dig your comment about the size of the bass drums, no problem there...

...it's just this bit: "Better looking at it then for it"

Which I guess should read: "Better looking at it than looking for it"

Hey Sticks, we all dig your comment about the size of the bass drums, no problem there...

...it's just this bit: "Better looking at it then for it"

Which I guess should read: "Better looking at it than looking for it"
"Better Looking At It, Than For It" English wan never my strong suit. I did say I was an Electrician, right. :)

Well, sure size matters. For me, I want 14 and 16 inch depths. I had a 22x17, with my 1st Yamaha Recording Custom kit. I sold it. My current Yamaha RC kit has a 22x16, mo betta. My Ludwig kick is a 26x16, my Gretsch round badge is a 20x14, my red Visalite kick ... a 22x14, my Premier, a 24x14.​

Back